Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

I appear to have just bought a brand new Hornby K1 for £90 + £12 p and p (which is expensive), but the total is a lot less than the box shifters. Was someone hoping for a quick profit, or "genuine reason for sale"?

I'll see if it all turns out ok before cancelling my boxshifter order for the next late crest version, due Marchish, as it doesn't matter to me which number I have.

• Like 2

I have been able to obtain a Kenline wooden Mink van, which fills a gap in my collection, difficult to have an exact price owing to the fact it came with 13 other rolling stock items, somewhere between £2.90 and £3.70 as 2  were old Trackmaster and 1 Triang all in poor quality.

• RMweb Gold

Re my K1:

That nearly went to plan.

The ebay loco (62024) is fine, running plate ever so slightly not straight, as seems common with these, but only noticeable if you are looking for it. Beautiful runner.

However, I was out most of yesterday, so missed to P Off delivery of it (collected it this am), and also missed the Hattons emails informing me that my preorder for 62027 with them had been picked and then dispatched...arghh. That's also here now (having been left at a neighbours whilst I was collecting 62024). Also a cracking runner. Running plate no worse than 62024, perhaps better.

So sometime soon, one of them will have to go....well it was worth a try.

Edited by Tim Hall

• RMweb Premium

Re my K1:

The ebay loco (62024) is fine, running plate ever so slightly not straight, as seems common with these, but only noticeable if you are looking for it. Beautiful runner.

However, I was out most of yesterday, so missed to P Off delivery of it (collected it this am), and also missed the Hattons emails informing me that my preorder for 62027 with them had been picked and then dispatched...arghh. That's also here now (having been left at a neighbours whilst I was collecting 62024). Also a cracking runner. Running plate no worse than 62024, perhaps better.

Didn't quite know whether to "Funny" or "friendly/supportive" on this one.........

Renumber and sell on...

Cheers,

Mick

Re my K1:

Best-laid plans, etc.

Nothing worth buying at the moment, plenty at stupid prices over Christmas, but nothing really interesting. Went into a model railway shop and bought 2 Peco 4 mm track gauges for £1:80 each  Kernow sell them at £3:30 each, so add postage and a good saving as I needed a couple more

But where are all the good buys!!

Not exactly models but I bought a peugeot 106 diesel (12in to the foot) off ebay 3 years ago for £151 and I am still driving around in it, okay it isnt anything to write home about but the 3 MOTs have only cost a total £156 and it is returning a real world 58mpg so I would call that a bargain.

Well after 4 years 5 months and 41,000 miles the Pug has finally died, nothing serious (glowplugs) but with only 3 weeks MOT left (and knowing it needs at least 2 bits of welding) I think its time to call it a day.

I might park it up for now and use it to teach the kids some basic mechanical skills, I do have a bit of a soft spot for it.

Well after 4 years 5 months and 41,000 miles the Pug has finally died, nothing serious (glowplugs) but with only 3 weeks MOT left (and knowing it needs at least 2 bits of welding) I think its time to call it a day.

I might park it up for now and use it to teach the kids some basic mechanical skills, I do have a bit of a soft spot for it.

Now just repeat the exercise just to prove the purchase was not just down to luck.  :jester:

Good luck in finding a new car, I had to change mine earlier in the year. Phoned a friend who owns a main dealer and asked him to look out for one that would not sell on his forecourt. He found me one with very little mileage, which he sold and his garage has serviced every year. Has a little body damage owing to very narrow lanes and big hedgerows. Years since I had an automatic car and quite enjoying it.

• Like 1

Now just repeat the exercise just to prove the purchase was not just down to luck.  :jester:

Its replacement is a Fiat Punto (no comment) which my cousin is giving me in lieu of payment for fixing her C3, it only has to last a few months before I get something a bit posh.

Its mid life crisis time!

Good luck in finding a new car, I had to change mine earlier in the year. Phoned a friend who owns a main dealer and asked him to look out for one that would not sell on his forecourt. He found me one with very little mileage, which he sold and his garage has serviced every year. Has a little body damage owing to very narrow lanes and big hedgerows. Years since I had an automatic car and quite enjoying it.

I used to love automatics.........but then I discovered 64+ mpg ..... :jester:

Edited by RhBBob

I used to love automatics.........but then I discovered 64+ mpg ..... :jester:

I rather pay a bit more in fuel and have the convenience of not having to change gear/press clutch whilst in North London traffic jams for short journeys. Must admit I had an automatic car years ago and at the time had to drive along the Finchley Road stop starting all the time, which was much easier. Now do 8 miles a day each way and that's about all. For longer Journeys the wife's car is bigger, more powerful, has gears and on those very hot days the roof disappears into the boot. Must admit much better filling up at 110.9 per litre now 

• Like 1

OT, but I've picked up some LED tail light clusters (£36) and an original CD player unit (£20) for the diesel Bora. Good value, I thought.

Hi Horse, I'm just about to put a 6 CD changer on Ebay which should work with a VW head unit if you are interested. Used for about six months I then changed the Audi for a Jetta which has a 6 CD radio/player built in. Just needs the correct cable for your particular player from Halfords or such. Was your purchase a RD300 or 310 model?

All the best,

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

4 Hornby RR Mk1's in maroon.  2 x BSK, 1 x CK and 1 x SK which conveniently make up the kind of set seen on semi-fasts Nottingham-Marylebone in early 60's.

They were listed as used but from the pics looked ok (and in any case they haven't been out that long, so it would have been unlikely (though not impossible) for them to have suffered serious abuse).  On offer for £59.95 BIN with free p/p, or make offer.  I offerred £55 with free p/p which was accepted.

On arrival the coaches are fine, just one box rather crumpled and as I don't run boxes on my layout am rather pleased to have 4 coaches @ £13.75 each.  Just need to change the wheels and do some weathering.

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 1

Hi Horse, I'm just about to put a 6 CD changer on Ebay which should work with a VW head unit if you are interested. Used for about six months I then changed the Audi for a Jetta which has a 6 CD radio/player built in. Just needs the correct cable for your particular player from Halfords or such. Was your purchase a RD300 or 310 model?....

The single CD head unit I acquired for the diesel Bora is a VW-branded unit, with just two buttons "Select" and "Eject". This unit fits Golf 4, Bora, Polo and Passat. Straight plug into the back of the radio/cassette unit, works a treat!

Not so much a Good Buy (though it was) as Good Service!

At 2.30 today I won (against no opposition) the two RCTS volumes on Southern locomotives. Hard back, £12, which I was happy with.

Imagine my surprise when the doorbell rang about 3.30, and standing on the doorstep was a chap with a parcel. He only lives a few miles away so he saved the cost of postage by dropping them in personally.

That's what I call an excellent seller! (Name of M Dow if he's a reader here)

• Like 4

A couple of days ago I won an original Hornby Northern belle set (46233 'Duchess of Sutherland', 2x MK2 FOs & 1 BSO)

AND the Royal Train coach pack (2 MK3s & MK2 BSO), almost new for the grand sum of £80.

Chuffed. :locomotive:

Jack.

• Like 1