RMweb

Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

This lot was a real bargain. The buffet looked to be a Bachmann or Replica mk1 and the Pullman was a super detail one. I've seen a Carflat alone go for a lot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Hornby-00-carriages-including-the-Pullman-dining-cart-/181935709666?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=2Ca83m%252BK4kADapLl0ksnbG6ayRY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

• Like 1

A nearly finished what is described as a Southeastern Finecast SR/BR T9 , but its a Wills with a whitemetal chassis. But for just under £27 inc postage I think its a good buy. It has been dropped on the front and needs repairing (new replacement part enclosed) the Romford wheels and motor would cost more than I paid, even if I bought an etched chassis I am still well in pocket. Would have been better if it were a Southeastern version, but that's being greedy.

Perhaps a model of Bodmin General is in the offing

• Like 1

I had another good buy which was a mixed lot, pick up only (Ashford Kent). I arranged for my niece to go and get it and sent her a tenner to post it to me, but in the end my wife picked it up from her mother 8 weeks later, still my niece can get a decent bottle of wine.

Well a Pitman 0 gauge motor,

3 SMP 54" copperclad turnouts,

A wills SR 8 wheeled loco tender kit,

PC GWR Toplight  brake third coach kit,

An old Graham Farish 00 gauge coach.

Trix 12v controller.

META GWR cylinder block, sprung coach and loco buffers, coach vents.

Lastly a Wills SR loco cab (King Arthur?) with some loco steps and some very small castings

As usual there are several items I dont want need/want. Certainly the PC kit is worth getting as it will add to the rake I have built up over the years and the small parts will be useful for detailing stock. I do have a Craftsman (or may be an early Eames kit) built loco which has bogie issues on the tender plus have a couple of T9's (now 3) one of which came tender-less, can't remember if I ever found a tender for it. Either way both of these are well worth what I paid on their own without the other stuff

Edit

An unused H&M point motor, bogie wheels, most of the King Arthur parts are the spares as parts for 2 versions are included in the kit, but the loco steps and small detailing parts were still bagged up which seem never to have been put on the loco 

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

A nearly finished what is described as a Southeastern Finecast SR/BR T9 , but its a Wills with a whitemetal chassis. But for just under £27 inc postage I think its a good buy. It has been dropped on the front and needs repairing (new replacement part enclosed) the Romford wheels and motor would cost more than I paid, even if I bought an etched chassis I am still well in pocket. Would have been better if it were a Southeastern version, but that's being greedy.

Perhaps a model of Bodmin General is in the offing

The loco arrived today, it is a Southeastern Finecast loco as its one of the non-revises SEF kits, but with the older Wills style cast chassis rather than an etched one. Still though its missing a couple of steps, a couple of relief valves and a chimney, it does have a replacement part for the broken front end.

On the plus side it has a MRRC 5 pole motor and a full set of Romford wheels and a replacement front end to replace the broken part. It has been poorly hand painted in black, thankfully its very thin.

The body kit is £57.45, if I want an etched chassis £34.50, I may have a chimney the other parts I guess will be under £2. I think it will sit in a bath of caustic soda which hopefully will remove the paint and glue. Looks to have been super-glued together. The choice is spend a couple of £'s or go the whole hog and invest in an etched chassis and a more modern motor gearbox combination to free up the cab, having said that there is a 9.5 mm wide gap in the chassis. Still for under £30 I am well pleased

• Like 4

Won a couple of things on eBay this weekend, the first is a set of chassis parts for a Keyser GWR Autotank and an old Triang 0-6-0 chassis. Was titled GEM chassis kits and there is a photo of a GEM J36/J83 chassis but no photo of the chassis itself, so I am guessing its a box only. there are also 4 Romford wheels of unknown sizeThe Triang chassis will be of use as I want to rebuild it minus the cast blocks and use some Romford wheels and a decent motor for use with a Peco Tram loco (the 0-4-2 etched chassis is a pain to re-rail owing to the skirts). I have a K's Autotank body so the chassis will be of use, has a mk2 motor but the plastic D type wheels. Just under £15 inc postage so quite pleased. A Brucey bonus if the GEM chassis is included, though I guess its missing

The good buy was 27 axles of 14 mm coach wheels for £6.75 inc postage. Looks to be Kean Maygib and EM gauge though might be P4, overhead view, stated as 00 gauge but wheels are too close to axle ends for 00. If EM I can re-gauge to 00 if needed. Comes out at 50p per pair and a spare one for 6 wheeled coach

• Like 1

Seems to be my lucky week, I have been after a book "Pictorial Record of GWR Coaches vol 1" for years at a decent price, normally see them at £25 + . At the moment vol 2 (which is more common) go from £18. Well I paid £7.25 + £3.50

The second buy is an unmade GEM Cambrian 2-4-0 tank loco, a complete loco kit, Mainlytrains chassis, wheels, gears, motor and even brass handrail knobs. One of the newer castings as is in the large plastic box. Been after one for years, but again go for decent money. £36 + £10 postage (coming from Germany). OK they are not the best castings now but should clean up well. Start to add up the components cost and its £90 ish. Again been wanting one for years but too tight to buy all the parts new and they normally fetch good prices. I have one concern over the gears as it has the Mainly trains etch, may go for a Highlevel replacement 

There was a thread about eBay sellers putting prices up a bit, some may be, but there seems to be an increase in listings at the moment, most of which are starting quite low but attracting multi bids. I lost out on a few bids (normal) over the weekend which has left my modelling fund intact for these.

I will say the loco finished at 2 pm on a week day, the book at 7pm. Not exactly the best time to get maximum value on your sales

Bought an item (gardening) from eBay for the son-in-law, it came slightly damaged. Seller very understanding and sending a replacement, which is what you expect but does not want the damaged one returned, as only 1 of the 6 cells is broken the others can be used. So quite happy with this result.

• Like 1

Just had a message from the seller who sold the GEM loco that the item has been sent, and that the cost was 16.99e, I paid £10 which equates to 14e. Whilst he has not asked for the extra directly I think he would like a bit more. Now if I over charge on postage by what I consider too much I make a partial refund, I have also when not asked have sent a bit more when I have found out(not asked) it cost the seller more to post and I have bought it quite cheaply, as if someone has inadvertently sold too cheaply and not asked enough for the postage. In this case the starting price was £29 and I paid £36, I am in 2 minds what to do, my max bit was £15 more than I paid and it is a good buy should I send him an extra couple of £'s ? 

^^^^^^^^^^^ I would (and have done similar in the past) cos there ain't enough nice people in todays world, and to quote a slogan 'every little helps' preserve a kind and caring community.

The choice is yours :)

Won a couple of things on eBay this weekend, the first is a set of chassis parts for a Keyser GWR Autotank and an old Triang 0-6-0 chassis. Was titled GEM chassis kits and there is a photo of a GEM J36/J83 chassis but no photo of the chassis itself, so I am guessing its a box only. there are also 4 Romford wheels of unknown sizeThe Triang chassis will be of use as I want to rebuild it minus the cast blocks and use some Romford wheels and a decent motor for use with a Peco Tram loco (the 0-4-2 etched chassis is a pain to re-rail owing to the skirts). I have a K's Autotank body so the chassis will be of use, has a mk2 motor but the plastic D type wheels. Just under £15 inc postage so quite pleased. A Brucey bonus if the GEM chassis is included, though I guess its missing

The good buy was 27 axles of 14 mm coach wheels for £6.75 inc postage. Looks to be Kean Maygib and EM gauge though might be P4, overhead view, stated as 00 gauge but wheels are too close to axle ends for 00. If EM I can re-gauge to 00 if needed. Comes out at 50p per pair and a spare one for 6 wheeled coach

The K's autotank arrived and a nice surprise is that there were 2 k's motors, no GEM chassis and the 2 pairs of Triang drivers are in the bin, 4 x old Romford 18 mm drivers (2 mazac) and the Triang Jinty chassis frames in good order. The K's drivers may need replacing but the Autotank body I have has been built well (if not a bit to glossy paintwork) so I don't mind putting on some Romfords. £15 well spent

An added bonus was that there was 3 empty boxes for a GEM J36/J38 chassis but with both instructions and a set of coupling rods. I do have a GEM J83 kit to build which has a cast chassis and a K's HMP2 motor, the new instructions are for using the small K's older motor (which is much better) and I can use the second set of coupling rods to laminate with the others 

£15 well spent with an unexpected double bonus

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^ I would (and have done similar in the past) cos there ain't enough nice people in todays world, and to quote a slogan 'every little helps' preserve a kind and caring community.

The choice is yours :)

I sent him £2 which should cover most if not all of it. I am happy with the deal and he posted it quickly, plus I think instead of economy postage sent DHL recorded

• Like 1

The Royal mail and DHL have kept my neighbour busy, the GEM Cambrian tank loco arrived (no reply about the £2 extra I sent for postage, at least my consonance is clear) all the parts neatly packed up and un-used so very pleased with it. The coach wheels are EM so can be re-gauged, the Pictorial History of GWR coaches part 1 arrived, in good condition but minus a dust cover, not mentioned and for under a tenner no complaints

I am waiting for 1 more parcel which I will let you know about once it arrives

Think all buying done, funds depleted a bit (I like a healthy reserve just in case a must buy shows up) but also prices have shot up this weekend both is what was being bought and the new items being listed, must be the Christmas effect. Having said that I had a good spend at reasonable prices last week 

Cris p

Separate the made up tender (send me a link and I will see if I recognise it) from the loco and un-made tender, together they will not achieve any more so someone else will benefit from re-selling it. The Jamieson locos can be super detailed to quite a decent level and have plenty of room for a decent size motor. Suggest the use of a Comet chassis (I would also use a Mainlytrains step pack as well as spectacle plates, but don't suggest too much) 

Now I can reveal what is another good buy(s), but you will have to bear with me as it starts with a totally unrelated purchase.

I bought a box of bits badly described and photoed for £10, I wondered why no one else was bidding and after winning it noticed pick up only in Ashford Kent. Well my niece lives in Ashford so I sent her an extra tenner to pick it up and send to me. I wont bore you with what else was in it but a Wills SR 4 wheeled 5000 gallon tender and some unexpected spare King Arthur parts

A few weeks later I noticed a book was not selling Ian Allan King Arthurs and Lord Nelsons 99p + £1.50

A few weeks further on and I noticed 2 Wills King Arthurs in separate lots without tenders, a bit tatty some damage but with etched chassis and Romford wheels. I have an un-built Wills King Arthur which states use a Triang Britannia chassis. Looking at the decent valve gear and Romford wheels on both thought the chassis alone were worth buying £22 secured one and £16 the other with £6 postage, well I did have a spare tender from a previous buy

I noticed but ending several days later were 2 x 5000 and one 4300 (without bogies) tenders listed as wagons by the same seller in one lot, well another £16 plus half of the £5 postage secured the tenders. Now with an average of £29 each I have 2 King Arthurs with Wills/SEF etched chassis, Romford wheels and Mashima D12 open framed 5 pole motors, and a spare 4300 tender needing some bogies. The locos are one Maunsel and one Urie

One loco body has suffered a bit, needs new steps, has the wrong cab sides and missing a smoke deflector, guess what all these parts were in the first lot with a tender I thought I needed but now don't 

But what about the other half of the £5 postage in the last lot. Well I bought some train tracks for £9.99, well that was the description. Upon receiving them I knew they were code 75 rail, took a chance on nickelsilver which they were, and counted 230+ lengths of 500mm long rail, one box states PSM, but the bulk may be from one of the societies. 20p a yard!!  I have plenty of SMP flexitrack bases in the loft where I have used the rail for turnouts. Early Christmas present

• Like 3