Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

The seller deserved what he got. Awful description, poor photos and wrong section, says it all

How difficult is it to copy the description off the box or on the flyer between the tracks? Or take one close up photo of the descriptive part or product code, and 0 gauge track?  Lets hope its nickelsilver rather than steel so the buyer gets a bargin 

Lets hope its nickelsilver rather than steel so the buyer gets a bargin

Even if it IS steel, at approx 60p per length Inc post, I'd still class that as a good buy, which is what the thread's about?

Gauge is about 6 mm too narrow for me  :jester:

Edited to substitute narrow for wide 'cos I thought being in the 'O' gauge section it was 'O' gauge track....silly me !!!

Edited by RhBBob
  • Like 2

4 new Bachmann vans 38-160, 38-180, 38-190, 38-191A, two with Kadees both ends, two with Kadee one end and standard t'other.

Since I run Kadees, as well as a good buy, it saved me the cost of 6 out of the eight couplers, only maybe 8 dollars, but still...

Seemed like no one else really wanted them, so I got the lot for $22US or about 14 quid for all four, figure that was a good buy :)

post-20244-0-29580200-1436214678_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Just received in the post a Studiolith rivet punch/press for Ply sleepers, whilst I have a newer but less well built copy this replaces one I bought 45 years ago and stupidly sold to a chap in the North London Group. Reasonably priced and even reimbursed the seller for the under estimate of postage despite not being asked for it. Glad it was advertised in the wrong section as these go for silly prices

• Like 3

Just received in the post a Studiolith rivet punch/press for Ply sleepers, whilst I have a newer but less well built copy this replaces one I bought 45 years ago and stupidly sold to a chap in the North London Group. Reasonably priced and even reimbursed the seller for the under estimate of postage despite not being asked for it. Glad it was advertised in the wrong section as these go for silly prices

I've got two of the variant produced for the Scalefour Society many years ago. They are in the strategic reserve, along with other useful tools.

• Like 2

I picked up a Hornby class 60 for £41 inc post. It was missing a bogie frame (£10 spare inc post) and horns. Bit cheap methinks. Cheapest I've seen are about the £70 to £80 mark.

Ps-anybody know where to get replacement Horns from?

Again, given the limited availability of much in the way of British outline on this side of the pond I thought this mint Royal Wessex set was a good deal for about 84 quid equivalent.

My primary reason for purchase was the MN loco, not "collecting", but haven't seen any MN available in probably a year here, especially DCC ready version. All accessories and DCC sleeve still in box slot.

Per the seller (who's selling off quiet a collection gradually, and I've purchased from before), never run and only the loco taken out of the box for photo. Coaches never unwrapped!

post-20244-0-82491900-1437575772_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-70364500-1437575774_thumb.jpg

Was thinking of selling on the box/coaches/certificate as I don't need them, but now not sure if I shouldn't keep them so when the inevitable happens (hopefully a LONG way off!!) the loco can be placed back in the set and the set sold for a better price by survivors. Comments on that??

• Like 1

....Was thinking of selling on the box/coaches/certificate as I don't need them, but now not sure if I shouldn't keep them so when the inevitable happens (hopefully a LONG way off!!) the loco can be placed back in the set and the set sold for a better price by survivors. Comments on that??

Seems a pity to split the set.

"MN" is hard to get hold of when you most want one. Spares situation also awkward - that valve gear assembly fails eventually, usually around the expansion link / eccentric rod pivots. Hornby have not been able to produce new stocks of spare valve gear for over a year, and there's always the risk that they may never produce another batch of spares, so if you need to fix broken valve gear, your only hope is to buy another wrecked one....

Seems a pity to split the set.

"MN" is hard to get hold of when you most want one. Spares situation also awkward - that valve gear assembly fails eventually, usually around the expansion link / eccentric rod pivots. Hornby have not been able to produce new stocks of spare valve gear for over a year, and there's always the risk that they may never produce another batch of spares, so if you need to fix broken valve gear, your only hope is to buy another wrecked one....

Indeed/agreed - I managed to pick up an MN very cheap here months back, simply BECAUSE it had a broken valve gear (you may remember). Unfortunately I've as yet not managed to find another to steal the valve gear from, at a sensible price that is. Chassis seem to go for 48-60 quid and up, so I figured rather than buying one of those to use, I simply decided this was a better deal - new loco for almost the price of a chassis for repair!

Agree also it's a pity to split a set, but I'm not a collector, AND I'm looking for my shed to have several MN's so not many choices exist <sigh>

I guess is someone wanted the "set" (collector type folks) they might have bid on this, OR they can offer me a decent amount and/or valve gear to fix the other I have in part exchange :)

Being in the US (postage etc., etc) reduces the likelihood of finding suitable buyer(s) for collectible items at their more "going rate", as exhibited by the price I got it for in the first place. :O

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just received an old small Raaco storage rack with quite a lot of vintage parts, was not quite sure the lot included the storage case, but for £15.25 with free postage thought worth a go

post-1131-0-79803200-1438631120_thumb.jpgpost-1131-0-79803200-1438631120_thumb.jpg

There are lots or old parts, mainly in META packets including universal joints, 3 link couplings and a few brass turnings, Well a large box delivered by Parcel Force arrived this evening which included the storage box. This is the link to the lot http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Model-SteamTrain-Parts-L-N-E-R-G-W-R-L-M-S-/261973291817?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2kHhCxO70AaXEpbU3%252BPohU5fWjQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Will take my time going through the parts and nuts and bolts so I can free it up for other items

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bargains on eBay are there, but patience needed (question to self, am I patient?).

I picked up the modern spec Hornby 08, R2417, a beautiful model for £26 post free.

Why so cheap? It was minus coupling rods, which I've just bought from Lendons of Cardiff for £1.68.

A bit of a risk as there might be something else wrong, but I still think a bargain compared to the price they are fetching in A1 condition.

Neil

What would appear to be a Comet or Phoenix sided GWR Centenary brake composite based upon a Bachmann Collett/Hornby B set underframe for £10 + £3 postage. Not 100% immaculate but tidying it up will be a nice autumn project. The Comet sides alone are £10.50, and I was looking for another Centenary BCK to act as the 'detached' portion of the CRE - just need another TK now.

Considering that prices for kitbuilt and scratchbuilt GWR coaches have hit overdrive recently, I'm quite happy with it!

CoY

• Like 2