Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Another item I picked up at Alley Pally is a Mainline J72 with a P4 etched Brass chassis for £25, however its a non runner.

At worst the chassis itself is worth the £25, built with a beam compensation system. Only taken the rear pair of wheels off, what ever lubricant has been used has congealed. The horn blocks move freely enough. The axle I have removed cleans up OK (no rust) and a quick clean of the horn blocks and a twist with a reamer should be all that is required. All 3 axles will need this

No idea how true the wheel sets are (time will tell)

I un-screwed the worm gear and the motor runs well

Body missing buffer heads and the fixing points have been altered. Etched buffer beams have been added along with I think new hand rail knobs and wire

What do I do with it as I will be building a GWR BLT, but in preservation era. I have a K's J72 but doubt if its P4 friendly

I took a gamble the motor and motor mount would be fine, and thought if I wanted I could sell the other bits

I could remove the motor and have a rolling chassis to test P4 trackwork (My next model will be EM gauge

I could perhaps fit EM gauge wheel sets 

Still have plenty of time to consider as my railway room is being built (has walls now but no roof or windows)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just picked up a Heljan class 47 for £31. Will need renumbering, and nameplates removing for a mid 1970s WR namer, but looks a good bargain to me. Will join my mixed fleet of Vi chassied Lima, Bachmann and Heljan - getting towards a complete set of Heljan WR namers now.

The posting was mislabelled "Heljen" and carrier film showing on the numbers, but a small price to pay for the excellent pulling power of these Heljan diesels. One of only two bidders, the chassis alone go for in excess of £50.

Edit to correct Bachmann spelling - I wouldn't do well on eBay ;)

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 3

Think I've managed to complete the core of the Bachmann Scenecraft Great Central collection now that I have managed to track down a Waiting Room building at last. £72, though - if I'd been more aware of them when they were still in production, I could have picked one up for about £50 or £60.

So we now have the Waiting Room, plus

- Gents toilet block

- Ticket office building and canopy

- high level street entrance and stairs

- subway entrance / exit

- signal box

- goods shed

Think that's enough to be going on with. They are quite heavy structures made in much the same way as pottery.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not especially a bargain, but I picked up a Dapol class 22 chassis, and a complete set of spares for £75. The windows were donated to my D6327 project (has anyone got the windows out without breaking one?). The windows were fixed with Klear to avoid sny future shennagins.

DCC supplies had kindly supplied me with complete bodyshell as I had a full set of windows on long term backorder, so the chassis went under that. Job done and another pair of 22s added to the fleet.

Neil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I managed 10 kitmaster mk1s all unbuilt, with a load of extra spare glazing and a 08 shunter also unbuilt for £80.

Missed a number of Bachmann SKs which went for £15 each, but did manage to secure a green one for £17. The average eBay secondhand level for any description of SK seems to be rising.

Thought I would have a little punt on a Highlevel Pannier chassis on eBay. Missing the coupling rods (may have some Gibsons) and brake rigging and shoes (have a Mainlytrains etch)  Wheels look like P4 has a Mashima motor, and I think CSB springing (I could be mistaken) Including postage £37.45. Not really certain which pannier but guessing its not a 57xx, but from the photos on eBay and those on Highlevel, its difficult to see which one it is 

Just looking at the cost of parts they now must be over £80, with a bit of luck I might be able to get away with fitting a set of EM gauge wheels.

Worst side is that I have paid what a motor and gearbox costs and have a built chassis and a set of wheels to dispose of.

• Like 1

Thought I would have a little punt on a Highlevel Pannier chassis on eBay. Missing the coupling rods (may have some Gibsons) and brake rigging and shoes (have a Mainlytrains etch)  Wheels look like P4 has a Mashima motor, and I think CSB springing (I could be mistaken) Including postage £37.45. Not really certain which pannier but guessing its not a 57xx, but from the photos on eBay and those on Highlevel, its difficult to see which one it is 

Just looking at the cost of parts they now must be over £80, with a bit of luck I might be able to get away with fitting a set of EM gauge wheels.

Worst side is that I have paid what a motor and gearbox costs and have a built chassis and a set of wheels to dispose of.

It's most likely the 64xx chassis, which was only released last year. If you don't want the chassis and P4 wheels, let me know....

• RMweb Premium

Just to paraphrase everybody, isn't everything we get from ebay a good buy, or we wouldn't buy it?

Mike.

The last thing that I bought was expensive for what it was, but as an unusual and hard to find item (you see 2-3 a year pop up) I was pleased to get it, even if I was not so happy with the price. This was not what I would call a good buy, but it was a pleasing one. 

• Like 2

The last thing that I bought was expensive for what it was, but as an unusual and hard to find item (you see 2-3 a year pop up) I was pleased to get it, even if I was not so happy with the price. This was not what I would call a good buy, but it was a pleasing one. 

A new thread, models I have paid too much for !!

Just out of interest I bought what I thought was a Wills Finecast M7 £23 + a bit of postage (bought 2 items)  Second time now that I have bought a loco describes as a M7, which had a M7 box, the first one was an 02 which was better than a M7 for me, this one is an E2 !!!  

I got it to give to a friend to practice building whitemetal kits, so its not an issue, just missing one of the cab front/backs (same casting) which is easy to replicate, think I have even got an old Triang/Hornby chassis which has been chopped up. So another eBay thread not quite what I thought it was

Still a good buy as a new one is £40+ and this one is still in its packing 

Post script, I am keeping the box for one of My unboxed examples, OK I am a cheapskate but it saves me a fiver and my friend is happy

A new thread, models I have paid too much for !!

Just out of interest I bought what I thought was a Wills Finecast M7 £23 + a bit of postage (bought 2 items)  Second time now that I have bought a loco describes as a M7, which had a M7 box, the first one was an 02 which was better than a M7 for me, this one is an E2 !!!  

I got it to give to a friend to practice building whitemetal kits, so its not an issue, just missing one of the cab front/backs (same casting) which is easy to replicate, think I have even got an old Triang/Hornby chassis which has been chopped up. So another eBay thread not quite what I thought it was

Still a good buy as a new one is £40+ and this one is still in its packing 

Post script, I am keeping the box for one of My unboxed examples, OK I am a cheapskate but it saves me a fiver and my friend is happy

Dave Ellis probably has the missing bit...........

Tony

Dave Ellis probably has the missing bit...........

Tony

Tony

Spoke with Dave earlier and picking something up from him on Saturday. Made the part by copying the one I had from a small whitemetal sheet I had

Just scooped a Kitmaster Mk.1, built to P4 standards on Masokits bogies, and with Sergent buckeye couplings that actually drop! £9.

Like to see some close-ups of that!

Update: seller has put it in the post now, so it should turn up by end of the week and we can then have some photos taken. As I have a number of Kitmaster Mk.1s now (built and unbuilt), the idea is to see whether they can be built / modified to match the seller's specification which includes a number of other refinements. The only difference would be the bogies - I use Bedford sprung ones rather than Masokits.

• Like 1