RMweb

Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

I would think that that was quite cheap.

Believe me, it's very cheap where Weinert is concerned. The seller turned out to be only "up the road" in Hemel Hempstead, and I think I have acquired most of the useful standard-gauge DB bits. There's still a useful lot of Weinert schmalspur parts still on offer, if anyone fancies a bite.

I have also noticed a lot of Merker + Fischer castings on eBay recently. The seller hasn't really helped with the descriptions, so it's not clear what the castings are actually for; he assumes that you will recognise the part numbers that he quotes!

• Like 2

British Royal Coat of Arms badge, 3cm square for £1.20.

Now, I can hear you all going "What the actual **** is he on about?  This is a model railway forum".  But bear with me.

You see, about a month ago I bought a second hand Kibri "Neu Ulm" railway station ready built.  It's a large, 1960s German two storey station building with a double height glass fronted entrance area.  I bought it to modify into either a Civic theatre/concert hall or something else equally Civic.  Well, thanks to a brass Royal Coat of Arms which scales out at about 8 square feet, once glued into place over the entrance doors, "Neu Ulm" will become the new Magistrates Court complex for Wednesford.

See?  Not as daft as it sounds now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully had a bit of a result, a Wills N/U class Mogul with a SEF etched Brass chassis, £22 + £5 postage, also has motor and gears. I was really interested in the chassis which sells for £37.50. At worst I can sell the loco and motor and get the chassis for next to nothing. On the other hand just needs wheels, which I have already  

Hopefully had a bit of a result, a Wills N/U class Mogul with a SEF etched Brass chassis, £22 + £5 postage, also has motor and gears. I was really interested in the chassis which sells for £37.50. .....

I have samples of both the "N" and "U" chassis, both nickel-silver from SEF to the design of the late Alistair Rolfe. Very nice artwork, and the later one he drafted for the "River" 2-6-4T is even more comprehensive.

I ended up buying a few spare castings from SEF to see if it was possible to put together the bare bones of a new-build "U", taking advantage of some of the later castings from the "River" such as the boiler which is much more cleanly done. I then realised that the front footplate / bufferbeam is wider in the "River" than the new-build "U" so quite a bit of shaving down was needed, plus an increase in footplate height. If you leave the casting as as it is, then you could use it as the basis of "U" rebuilt from a "River".

I have samples of both the "N" and "U" chassis, both nickel-silver from SEF to the design of the late Alistair Rolfe. Very nice artwork, and the later one he drafted for the "River" 2-6-4T is even more comprehensive.

I ended up buying a few spare castings from SEF to see if it was possible to put together the bare bones of a new-build "U", taking advantage of some of the later castings from the "River" such as the boiler which is much more cleanly done. I then realised that the front footplate / bufferbeam is wider in the "River" than the new-build "U" so quite a bit of shaving down was needed, plus an increase in footplate height. If you leave the casting as as it is, then you could use it as the basis of "U" rebuilt from a "River".

The Southeastern Finecast N/U loco bodies are the older non revised style of kit but with new chassis for either the N or U class.

The loco arrived today despite being sent 2nd class (well done Royal Mail). The loco body ( Wills finecast) is nearly finished, built to a reasonable level but the glue is a bit heavy on the inside. DS10 motor with 2 different gear sets and a motor mount, and a Southeastern Finecast etched chassis, just needs a set of 22mm Romfords (I have them) and a front bogie wheel set, the Tender has Romford metal wheels.

For less than the cost of a chassis I have a body and tender plus motor and gears as well.

Edit

Just worked out the RRP cost at £117 in value plus an additional set of gears , not bad for £27

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

Another Portescap RG4 (not a bargain at £62) plus a spare 1616 motor only (£12) so I can put the shorter motor into the gearbox to make a proper RG4 1616.

The Southeastern Finecast N/U loco bodies are the older non revised style of kit.....

I have long had a parts list for them and the River tank. I bought bits from from the latter kit as I thought that, being the newer set of moulds, the castings would be crisper. Just the footplate width and the cab (leftover etch from DJH) to sort out.

Another Portescap RG4 (not a bargain at £62) plus a spare 1616 motor only (£12) so I can put the shorter motor into the gearbox to make a proper RG4 1616.

Think you bought it from a friend, who is selling on behalf of another friend with the proceeds going to a local hospice

Watch his listings as he is listing some Kirk SR & LNER coaches, plus 100+ wagons

....Think you bought it from a friend, who is selling on behalf of another friend with the proceeds going to a local hospice

Watch his listings as he is listing some Kirk SR & LNER coaches, plus 100+ wagons

Interesting. I think the only Ian Kirk items I've had are a Gresley buffet car (it was going cheap at Hattons) and an inside-framed GW "Monster" van. Both have their own particular challenges.

Just won 2 vans and a wagon, all un-made whitemetal kits vans needing roofs and all needing wheels. Come with a TT bogie but described (incorrectly) as TT wagons but clearly narrow gauge and I think 009 due to width. Thought they might be GEM models, well at £9 inc postage thought good value, not quite half price but from a good seller

Came across a Kernow Bachmann Scenecraft Signal Box, the Bude one, literally BNIB,  with a buy-it-now price of £38 :nono: It had an alternative of make an offer so offered £20 pointing out it was £29.99 from Kernow and ended up with it for £23 with postage as opposed to £33.99 with postage from Kernow. Lesson in it is if you see a crazy price its worth making an offer if the option exists.

• Like 1

Came across a Kernow Bachmann Scenecraft Signal Box, the Bude one, literally BNIB,  with a buy-it-now price of £38 :nono: It had an alternative of make an offer so offered £20 pointing out it was £29.99 from Kernow and ended up with it for £23 with postage as opposed to £33.99 with postage from Kernow. Lesson in it is if you see a crazy price its worth making an offer if the option exists.

I don't know if it is non model railway folk who just do not know the price of items other than they could be pricey or chancers who just give it a go.

Items do change hands at auctions for more than the currant retail price, especially if its a hard to get item

That's a lot of money to spend a penny!

The Scenecraft Great Central stuff tends to attract silly money nowadays mainly because the really important parts of it (stairs, subway, booking office and waiting room) are long out of production.

• Like 1

Southeastern Finecast SR M7 with both the Markit wheel and 1054 motor packs along with a set of Cavendish sprung buffers all for just under £55 inc postage. MRRP about £150, just could not resist it. Must sell some of the Wills M7's I have with cast chassis

One issue with this is that the chassis spacers are 00 gauge, I hope I can either rob some spare EM gauge etched spacers from another kit, I may have some SEF spare in my spacer box. Just being lazy as using the tabs I find is easier

• RMweb Gold

Fortunate 'early bird' buy with a new BIN listing.

Two Comet Thompsons with splendid paint jobs for £20 each. I will most likely re-glaze them with glass cover slips as the sides are rather loose.

They will go very nicely with the Jamieson B1, Another excellent 'early bird' cheap BIN purchase made around a year ago. It's waiting for a new chassis in P4 . These will probably be part of an SO inter-regional excursion on Balcombe.

It's satisfying to spot these sort of bargains with the early morning cup of tea. They do come up now and again!

post-6728-0-73698600-1503056939.jpg

post-6728-0-63102800-1503057141_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

£38 for a very used Roco Br.01 in DR condition with Wagner deflectors; German seller proved far cheaper than anyone in Britain. I'll be breaking this one for spares, as I want to stick the chassis block under my Weinert 01-Neubaukessel body kit....