Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Currently on my workbench is a large prairie - the Hornby rework on the old Airfix model.

I had an Airfix one knocking on for 35 years ago, the Hornby one is a big improvement, more separate handrails, better pickups and see-through leading and trailing wheels.

The pictures show the minor work I have done so far, new smokebox door handles, and removing the moulded coal with a new floor made.

The only other things I am likely to do are : add etched brass number plates (to be ordered), add the number to rear buffer beam, paint the hand rails green where the underlying body is green, add real coal and lamps.  I'm sure there is more that could be done, but that will do for now!

bp1.JPG.ee1e2585f8e85b9c0c2f33cc7562b0af.JPG

bp2.JPG.a7c34882d2a03bd5375f894b89d69650.JPG

bp3.JPG.f0a2b379939ccba2b129201b739e7d1e.JPG

Jules

Edited by Jules
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the large Prairie - the coal bunker has been finished, door handle and handrails painted, crew added and lamps on the front.  I still need to order the cabside plates, but I think that is it for now.  It isn't too bad a runner, although I think a couple of the wheels are less than true!

attachicon.gifP1070688.JPG

attachicon.gifP1070689.JPG

attachicon.gifP1070690.JPG

attachicon.gifP1070693.JPG

It is certainly showing its age compared to the Bachmann small prairies, but it adds a bit of variety.

A couple of bonus shots of the autotrain towing a van

attachicon.gifat91.JPG

attachicon.gifat92.JPG

Jules

Lovely pics and details Jules, well done.

• Like 2

That prairie looks good! I've an old Airfix one in a box, it doesn't see much action these days as it makes a real grinding noise going backwards.. 

I had an Airfix one once.  I bought it as part of a set when Airfix went belly up. The set had the large prairie, an autocoach, an lms non-corridor coach, oval of track and controller all for the mega price of £14 if memory serves me correctly. 

It has to be said, the loco was an appalling runner! It departed long ago (no idea where) but I still have the coaches.

The Hornby offering is a big improvement in terms of running and additional separate handrails but could do with a 21st century upgrade.

The old Airfix body can be improved quite convincingly with a bit of work. You could try putting a Comet chassis under it. The one below has a Finney chassis as I model in P4. I must have the original chassis somewhere!

post-7952-0-68370800-1488998697_thumb.jpg

Details of how I went about it can be found on my web site.

• Like 15

The old Airfix body can be improved quite convincingly with a bit of work. You could try putting a Comet chassis under it. The one below has a Finney chassis as I model in P4. I must have the original chassis somewhere!

attachicon.gif4114.01.jpg

Details of how I went about it can be found on my web site.

That does look rather splendid.  I shall have a look at your website to see how you achieved it, thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Jules...

This is my Big Prairie Tank...

It is made from a selection of Airfix and Hornby parts (the loco was a box of bits, some missing, including one pony truck...), including some of the cab interior from an ex Airfix, now Dapol Kit...

The body is ex Airfix RTR, with some handrails replaced...

BR 1950s livery...

post-12119-0-10477400-1489144982_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-95149400-1489145072_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-03669200-1489145124_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 8

Hi Jules...

This is my Big Prairie Tank...

It is made from a selection of Airfix and Hornby parts (the loco was a box of bits, some missing, including one pony truck...), including some of the cab interior from an ex Airfix, now Dapol Kit...

The body is ex Airfix RTR, with some handrails replaced...

BR 1950s livery...

attachicon.gifDCP23424.JPG

attachicon.gifDCP23425.JPG

attachicon.gifDCP23426.JPG

Nicely done!  Seeing your pictures of the fire irons on the tank top reminds me that I need to do the same.

Hi Jules.

Thanks...

Just how prototypical the shovel fixed down with a bracket, as moulded into the body, is open to question?

I also managed to replace a broken front step and a broken cab step with Dapol Kit parts....

In a way, the Dapol kit could be regarded as a source of spare parts and cab detailing parts! ;)

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, another one here glad to see Mayshill back.

Amazing how much difference that rebuild has made to the look of the station. The new building in the corner (parcels? bicycles?) really suits the arrangement I think. I like the subdued "autumn" look to that part of the layout.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the likes, and comments on the changes to Mayshill.

Posting the pics spurred me on to do the ballasting, so that makes it look a bit better!  I will attempt to keep the thread updated with pictures - but not promising anything :)

There are no current plans for a Dean goods, but then again there were no plans for 3 prairies, 3 pannier tanks, a 58xx or two, 52xx, 43xx 2251...

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A few pre Christmas pics, as the weather here is grey and gloomy, a few black and white ones...

A small prairie arrives with the branch passenger train, and attaches a pre-positioned extra coach for all the extra Christmas shoppers!

Passing the barn...

bw4.JPG.cd6fccc6d0bb1986e75912ceaf7ca662.JPG

passing the dairy

bw5.JPG.b97a008857cbc50c3dfc1fb85887bad5.JPG

slowing to a stop

bw6.JPG.1f5d1f7c8d8a5144bfff14c2083fa4c1.JPG

Retrieving the extra coach from the siding

bw7.JPG.5676b325f80a01232fb4cde965e47808.JPG

bw8.JPG.f7db1ce895987e54564cbe10ecf18877.JPG

the lengthened train

bw9.JPG.99c08c1270f1a33a8089b3b3640b2d11.JPG

Ready to depart