Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

• 4 months later...

Now consigned to my display cabinet but a few years ago I read somewhere (I think it was one of Kevin Roberstons 'Leader' books) that there was a plan to outshop some new build West Country/Battle of Britain Pacifics from Brighton Works in BR mixed traffic lined black so I bagged a cheap Hornby model and set about it with the paint:

attachicon.gif34086a.jpg

attachicon.gif34086b.jpg

I wasn't exactly sure about final decals so it carries the BR emblem one side and the earlier BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering on the other.

I've done the same thing with a Britannia before, but I never finished it...

Here we are, as promised. Not the photos I was looking for, but they'll do for now. From what I understand, it is a Ks kit built by a friend of Dave's who sadly passed away, and he acquired it from them as is. I've heard many horror stories about Ks kits, but this one runs like silk-a credit to the original owner.

I do apologise for the layer of dust-this was her first outing in quite a while, and I only noticed the dust after taking the photos-typical. The Peckett belongs to a mate, but is bog standard Hornby basically.

The third photo is one taken by Dave which I've borrowed, and shows the model on Tetleys Mills 3.5-this photo in the mail section of MR143 was the first time I'd seen a P2 model (I was still new to the hobby at this stage), and I fell in love. While I do now own it, I really wish it had not come about with Dave's passing and the sale of his stock (though for a very great cause that was). Apart from a small service and tidy-up, there really isn't much to be done on her.

I've seen that model before somewhere....

attachicon.gif20991501_1750116581953304_1950402971_o.jpg

attachicon.gif20993168_1750116578619971_104777842_o.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-372-0-06087200-1332528614.jpg

Having only just discovered this thread, I quite like some of the imaginary designs here. But what about when RTR manufacturers do 'lazy models'? One example is the Lima 'XPT'. Actually it's a HST in XPT colours. I own one of these models in the original 'InterCity XPT' colours, and after some restoration work a couple of years ago it's a very nice model to run, even with that Lima motor still in place. Problem is that on the brake coach one of the bogies are missing!

• RMweb Premium

I've done the same thing with a Britannia before, but I never finished it...

Having only just discovered this thread, I quite like some of the imaginary designs here. But what about when RTR manufacturers do 'lazy models'? One example is the Lima 'XPT'. Actually it's a HST in XPT colours. I own one of these models in the original 'InterCity XPT' colours, and after some restoration work a couple of years ago it's a very nice model to run, even with that Lima motor still in place. Problem is that on the brake coach one of the bogies are missing!

Easy enough to sort though - as you say, its a standard Lima Mk3 model, so finding replacement bogies (or a cheap coach to take one from) is quite easy, rather than trying to buy a part for some rare model.

• RMweb Gold

Not exactly a fictitious livery but one that I suspect was never seen on a regular service train - 1361 in photographic grey. I have never seen one photograph outside the works yard where they had been built. Heljan's example - 'a limited edition' possibly because I have also not seen a full-blown locomotive manufacturing works modelled - can be seen here https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=949&ei=h6pCWo_mD4uWkwXppb2oDQ&q=Heljan+1361&oq=Heljan+1361&gs_l=img.12..0j0i24k1.1507.22557.0.25299.17.11.3.3.4.0.73.666.11.11.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.14.674...0i30k1j0i8i30k1.0.6j00sIWSqAI#imgrc=iwuAw49LXITZBM:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know an  affordable refinisher of OO models?

I hanker after a class 43 in lined Brunswick Green with the passenger stock in GWR Coffee and Cream.

I also mused over a 43 with a four sleeper cars, two buffet/restaurant cars and a TSO in the consist with the 'loco' in lined Apple Green and the coaches in 'teak'.

A 43 would also 'work' in Coronation Scot streamliner livery.

Being an acknowledged classic design the 43 makes an ideal base for fictional liveries even the Scarlet of London Transport with it's minimal gold lining is a feasible.

Now that the BIG Yellow Head is being phased out perhaps we might see more adventurous old school liveries re-appearing.

Whilst we heretics wish for liveries from the old pre-grouping companies and would love to see them applied to modern stock...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks - I did a few paper livery trials to try and decide what to do with the bonnet tops (red, grey or black) and as you can see ultimately decided that black looked best and also fit the livery application on other locos best.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...