Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

• RMweb Premium

Haven't seen any yet but a 70 in BR blue with custard ... sorry: yellow ... ends and arrows of indecision could look quite appropriate for the shape. Railfreight red-stripe grey would also suit them, I think. 

The only trouble is a Bachmann class 70 is just a tad too expensive to mess around with liveries, to my mind. Some of our more well off members might be able to afford to do one though. Any takers? :)

Seen pictures of 70s in green. Well they were originally

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just finished this. Apart from my poor cantrail stripe it looks ok.

Normally 'Cotswold' would be a complete yellow end with yellow stripe along the side windows leading to the yellow doors. But I found the Hornby 58 cabs were perspex with paint on which made removing glazing impossible for respray so I've left the windows with a black surround.

post-9147-0-65554300-1411654866_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres one of my latest ones. Despite thinking I wouldn't do these any more I do like this ficticious modern day engines as they can easily catch people out.

attachicon.gifIMG_0209.JPG

Will get a photo of it on the layout soon, as it has been on it on test.

EWS-bought (i.e. new) locos - classes 66 and 67 - had the lightning stripe, inherited/secondhand locos had the straight stripe.

Which raises the question - would 57s count as "new" locos?

• Like 1

The story was that for 57614 that the contract for the build of 10 was placed in 2002. This after the Porterbrook demonstrator had proved useful over the year on the Western region. Here EWS saw a lower cost alternative to having expensive 67s to expand the mail business, charter and fast freight areas the company wanted to move into. This would free up 67s, allowing the 57s to do smaller work. However, the mail contract was lost and plans did not materialise. The order of 10 was quickly reduced to 5, due a start on some meant the order had to be honoured. EWS used the engines on charter, enterprise workings and small passenger contracts until this work too was taken over by 66s and 67s. The class currently stand at Toton, dumped in a storage pool with an uncertain future.

Being a new build engine as the rebuild to 57 was done after the start of EWS they recieved the lightening stripe. I also think EWS would have wanted those that they thought would be long term assets like this, although the 59s are the obvious exception. At the time, 60s, 47s and 37s were all expected to go completely, but thankfully have enjoyed a comeback with the former.

I just wanted to get an engine with the lightening stripe done differently, and think it does look good on the 57 bodyside. The story for it is adapted to suit.

Heres a picture, duly promised, of 57614 arriving with an Enterprise working for the loading area.

post-7347-0-81506600-1424464757_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-59719000-1424464791_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

New small Imaginary loco 25% Ratio

I've been collecting parts scavenged from Exhibition clubs second had sales in a margarine tub. After many years it has it has reached critical mass with enough parts to build a new loco.

post-6220-0-18585200-1427395208_thumb.jpg

Based on a picture of a NER 1440 class, pretty much a generic small 2-4-0 loco from the 19th century. And a side elevation of drawing of a North Staffordshire Railway class C in R.W Rush's North Staffordshire Railway Locos and Rolling stock. Rush's books are very useful to the modeller as they often include very many drawings.

post-6220-0-02341100-1427395281_thumb.jpg

This was the type of engine that would have started out as a main line loco but as it became superseded by newer and bigger types it would have ended up as a branch line engine where it would finish it's days until being replaced by a modern tank engine.

I recently found a badly assembled Ratio Midland Railway tender kit I could pull it apart and reassemble it as a 4 wheeler, as this is a branch line loco I may add a tender cab.

post-6220-0-41803600-1427395334_thumb.jpg

I've built up the sides of the cab with rectangles of 1mm plastic carefully trimmed to fit around the coupling pin cases. Also a strip of 3mm Evergreen strip to make a coupling rod raised housing. The boiler was long gone cut away and used in a tank engine project. A new boiler is being made from a perspex tube ( 15 mm ) the type that some solder wire comes in. The perspex cuts and files easily I have fitted around the wheel splashers and after cutting it a bit too short I've then glued a bit more back on. This sort of project is a fit it, see how it looks and adjust it process.

The chassis is a lovely brass milled one of 34mm wheelbase and matches the Ratio body. Some vintage Romford wheels, 24mm is a bit small but they fit inside the splashers and run freely.

post-6220-0-33806300-1427395430_thumb.jpg

The front frame extension/pony truck must swivel if it is to go around train set curves. I've sculpted a quick one by sawing up balsa wood this is to get a quick rough guide as to what size it needs to be.

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I always thought the Westerns would have looked good in Marshes Umber.

Dscf4149_zps73a9032f.jpg

Herb

It was bad enough that they painted a real one in Stroudley's "Improved Engine Green". :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

New small Imaginary loco 25% Ratio

I've been collecting parts scavenged from Exhibition clubs second had sales in a margarine tub. After many years it has it has reached critical mass with enough parts to build a new loco.

attachicon.gifP1010067.JPG

Based on a picture of a NER 1440 class, pretty much a generic small 2-4-0 loco from the 19th century. And a side elevation of drawing of a North Staffordshire Railway class C in R.W Rush's North Staffordshire Railway Locos and Rolling stock. Rush's books are very useful to the modeller as they often include very many drawings.

attachicon.gifP1010065.JPG

This was the type of engine that would have started out as a mail line loco but as it became superseded by newer and bigger types it would have ended up as a branch line engine where it would finish it's days until being replaced by a modern tank engine.

I recently found a badly assembled Ratio Midland Railway tender kit I could pull it apart and reassemble it as a 4 wheeler, as this is a branch line loco I may add a tender cab.

attachicon.gifP1010080.JPG

I've built up the sides of the cab with rectangles of 1mm plastic carefully trimmed to fit around the coupling pin cases. Also a strip of 3mm Evergreen strip to make a coupling rod raised housing. The boiler was long gone cut away and used in a tank engine project. A new boiler is being made from a perspex tube ( 15 mm ) the type that some solder wire comes in. The perspex cuts and files easily I have fitted around the wheel splashers and after cutting it a bit too short I've then glued a bit more back on. This sort of project is a fit it, see how it looks ad adjust it process.

The chassis is a lovely brassed milled one of 34mm wheelbase and matches the Ratio body. Some vintage Romford wheels, 24mm a bit small but they fit inside the splashers and run freely.

attachicon.gifP1010082.JPG

The front frame extension/pony truck must swivel if it is to go around train set curves. I've sculpted a quick on by sawing up balsa wood this is to get a quick rough guide as to what size it needs to be.

Do you need this post relocating as it looks as though it's in the wrong place?

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Class 33 in Bullied livery. I first did one of these around 35 years ago when I worked at Bec Models, It got left behind when I left there, so about 20 years ago I did another one! Result below, after being dug out of a drawer I probably haven't opened for 5 years!

Neil

post-28787-0-93321700-1467719946_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

a 58 in Colas may not be as daft as you think, after all there are still 0ver 80% of them in exsistance and they would still be usable on british rails should the need require

Thats the reason why it was done. 58005 is also one that has not been exported so was more in tune with what could be done. There's normally a lot of research done for some of these that I have done being the Colas 58, EWS 57, Regional Railways class 50, the four L4 engines 67801 to 67804 as well as my A1 60164 Northern Star, A2 60540 Orpheus and P2/3 60603 Eleventh Earl of Mar. 

Id show pictures of these in turn if theres interest, but am conscious not to be seen as hi-jacking the thread with my collection...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hijack away mate, better to keep an interesting thread running than let it die for fear of offending folk!  I'd certainly like to see those... well, OK, maybe not the kettles (I would barely know a real one from a fictitious one if you hit me in the face with it!) but the RR 50 sounds interesting.  I'd quite like to see a Res one, I think it'd suit it well.  

Yeah ... wot 'e sed!

I think this thread is a showcase for our work, and it's not limited to one model per person (just because I lack the imagination to do more than one such model myself, doesn't mean everyone else can't do a bit of showing off!!). :)   :locomotive:

• Like 1

58005 was one of the final ones to be sent across the continent. For a long time the engine was stored at Leicester SD out of use, almost a depot guardian in fading Mainline blue. Rather than being sent to France in 2009 for ETF, my version is that the engine was hired in from EWS by the starting up of Colas Rail, eventually being purchased outright. Five class 58s were used for the trial, serviced at Washwood Heath by Boden Rail engineering, similar to that of the class 56s also being hired in from Hanson Traction which became DCR when that company was taken over.

58005 was the first completed for Colas rail, the others being 58012, 58022, 58023 and 58048. The company wanted to use these on some logistic flows that were being started, namely moving items from hub to hub, some large hubs, others small. Old former parcel depots were used as some destinations, with others being new yards built and unloaded in the open by forklift. The some ran from Bishop Auckland to Daventry, Willisden, Telford and Ditton, but also between each location. With Aycliffe growing, further wagons were left at a facility there, while the train engine took those remaining to Bishop Auckland for unloading there at Wilson's Logistics. (None of that on flows or ideas actually happens...)

Here 58005 is seen leaving Bishop Auckland with a load for Telford. 

post-7347-0-21189600-1468337762_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-44760800-1468337781_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-46278300-1468337803_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 14