Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone mentioned this one - https://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/Bachmann-sdjr-7f-88-2.jpg ? It's a model of a fictitious livery! 

Close up photograph is very cruel at times. It looks like the fall plate between the tender and the locomotive is going to fall of in its travels.  

Terry.

A few months ago, I swapped an original Bachmann London Transport body from its split chassis onto a new DCC-ready chassis. The split chassis was converted to DCC some years ago and wasn't too bad a runner, albeit not up to the standard of the newer chassis. The LT swap left me with a heavily weathered BR black pannier body sitting on the old split chassis. I thought that this would not be a likely seller, so decided to have a bit of fun and make it into a might-have-been Huntley & Palmers loco (without logos as I may eventually remove the legend from the Peckett to make it more generic). I started by painting the pannier body in a rather lurid Revell blue. With the already red coupling rods, this didn't look too far off the H&P colours, although I was well aware it would need toning down somewhat.

I was going to apply a second coat of blue but decided that for industrial use, a second-hand loco would probably have had the paint slapped on carelessly to give an idea of identity.

Some white edged black lining from an LNER sheet of transfers applied to just the tank sides aided the identity change, together with an arbitrary number 8 on the cabside completed the main work. I touched up the black parts where I had gone over with the blue, then dry-brushed some more black onto the upper surfaces of the tanks and boiler, followed by a heavy application of black weathering powder.

I have posed the pannier tank with the Peckett to show off the family resemblance in the liveries, even though that on the pannier is entirely fictitious.

Blue%20Pannier%20-%205%20cropped_zpshcis

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Close up photograph is very cruel at times. It looks like the fall plate between the tender and the locomotive is going to fall of in its travels.  

Terry.

I suspect that as this was a publicity shot, they were probably showing off the cab details and had moved the tender back to get a better view. A tender cab version would be an interesting addition to the range.

• RMweb Gold

A few months ago, I swapped an original Bachmann London Transport body from its split chassis onto a new DCC-ready chassis. The split chassis was converted to DCC some years ago and wasn't too bad a runner, albeit not up to the standard of the newer chassis. The LT swap left me with a heavily weathered BR black pannier body sitting on the old split chassis. I thought that this would not be a likely seller, so decided to have a bit of fun and make it into a might-have-been Huntley & Palmers loco (without logos as I may eventually remove the legend from the Peckett to make it more generic). I started by painting the pannier body in a rather lurid Revell blue. With the already red coupling rods, this didn't look too far off the H&P colours, although I was well aware it would need toning down somewhat.

I was going to apply a second coat of blue but decided that for industrial use, a second-hand loco would probably have had the paint slapped on carelessly to give an idea of identity.

Some white edged black lining from an LNER sheet of transfers applied to just the tank sides aided the identity change, together with an arbitrary number 8 on the cabside completed the main work. I touched up the black parts where I had gone over with the blue, then dry-brushed some more black onto the upper surfaces of the tanks and boiler, followed by a heavy application of black weathering powder.

I have posed the pannier tank with the Peckett to show off the family resemblance in the liveries, even though that on the pannier is entirely fictitious.

Blue%20Pannier%20-%205%20cropped_zpshcis

The point about a second-hand loco with the paint slapped on was bourne out by the NCB's apple green livery of 7754 in South Wales!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Theres a Large Logo Blue class 31/4 due soon....

Other suggestions I would have would be a class 57 in Spot Rail, Class 67 in TPE, Class 68 in GBRf or Intercity Swallow and Class 170 in Northern Rail blue and purple.

Class 31 in large logo to be at Shildon this weekend. Good chance that Colas 58 will make it through too.

• RMweb Gold

Not got a photo but I repainted my most battered HDublo N2 a few years ago in the Dutch Grey/yellow engineers livery with large arrow logo and numbers to pull the breakdown train on my 3-rail Classic Train Set display layout. Numbered as a Class 69 567.

Looked quite effective as a livery but if I ever get the 3-rail layout baseboards rebuilt and the layout back out again on the circuit that one will be redone with sprayed paint as my hand done paint finish let it down.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Florence No. 12 as running on the North Tees Railway the South Farne Islands (circa 1130am 3rd Aug 1913 approx.)

attachicon.gifDSC01431.jpg

Couldn't have been that day, as this working did not run on a Sunday according to my WTT, and no ballast work is recorded for this location during that month, though the condition of the track suggests that this was a ballast working.

Could have been 1912?

Edited by The Johnster

Another fictitious industrial livery from me: this Hornby Sentinel started off as a lighter blue with yellow stripes on the buffer beams and coupling rods, and bright yellow buffer faces. I have used a darker blue, red buffer beams, cranks and coupling rods, grey roof and LNER white/black/white lining, with Bulleid 'sunshine' style numbers. I did leave a little of the blue 'wasp' striping on the lower parts of the buffer beams. It will eventually gain a fictitious name as well.

Industrial%20Diesel%20Shunters%20-%205_z

Sentinel%20Numbered_zpspi6vsbyy.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How about a pre-grouping might have been but never was livery. This is LMWR no.256 in post WW1 goods livery.

attachicon.giflmwr_256_1.JPG

EDIT :  I've now started a workbench topic about this, and other conversions.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82968-niles-bodging-bench/

That reminds me of the L&YR Class 25 0-6-0 locomotive which I am attempting in 00 Scale.

I've posted these elsewhere on my workbench (see signature below), but here's a slightly botched together Stirling Single in lined BR black that I built a couple of years ago now (doesn't time fly!) from a Bachmann 'Emily' and various parts from a Dapol 'Schools' kit. It's even got a name (sacrilege I know!), which is visible in the 1st photo, taken a bit more recently than the second.

attachicon.gifDSCF4196.JPG  

attachicon.gifDSCF2396.JPG

That's very interesting. It reminds me of the LNWR Single Wheeler locomotive Cornwall. I always have a soft-spot for these types of classic locomotives.

Anyone needing ideas for Steam?

P2 rebuilt into A4 in Brunswick Green, BR Express Blue. (Really like the idea of the Bruswick green job).

I'm a little late in finding this, but such a beast does exist-I'll dig out some photos later. Previously owned by Mr. Dave Shakespeare of Tetleys Mills, who I believe was given it by a friend. Still survives and is occasionally given a run, though it's now here in Oz.

• Like 1

Here we are, as promised. Not the photos I was looking for, but they'll do for now. From what I understand, it is a Ks kit built by a friend of Dave's who sadly passed away, and he acquired it from them as is. I've heard many horror stories about Ks kits, but this one runs like silk-a credit to the original owner.

I do apologise for the layer of dust-this was her first outing in quite a while, and I only noticed the dust after taking the photos-typical. The Peckett belongs to a mate, but is bog standard Hornby basically.

The third photo is one taken by Dave which I've borrowed, and shows the model on Tetleys Mills 3.5-this photo in the mail section of MR143 was the first time I'd seen a P2 model (I was still new to the hobby at this stage), and I fell in love. While I do now own it, I really wish it had not come about with Dave's passing and the sale of his stock (though for a very great cause that was). Apart from a small service and tidy-up, there really isn't much to be done on her.

post-14921-0-01063700-1503151242_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-32213700-1503151268_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-19510400-1503151290_thumb.jpg

• Like 12