Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

Given the success of the Weardale railway, a local investment firm DFN GB, used its profits to build a new engine shed at Etherley, in an area irronically known as Paradise. The shed, offically named as Etherley shed, was built on the site of the previous Etherley tip, with effort ensured to keep the ground stable. 

As a part of this, a large share was bought into Weardale Trust and the operating company of Weardale Railway, by the firm ensuring control and involvement. As this essentially was a means for the owner of the company to divest his parent companies profits into his own interest and enterprise, the subsidiary company The New North Eastern Railway Company was created, known much like its forebarer as the NER. Again, use of other efforts allowed rapid progress, with the fund purchasing access to tools and casts from the A1 Tornado project. These were assembled at Etherley while other engines arrived to start to bolster the Weardale fleet. As well as use of parts, others were ordered so that in conjunction a new A2 would be built. 

Built between 2009 and 2010, the pair were fitted out and ran on the line for some years in an original guise (seen in post 44). After this in 2015, both were given upgrades at their first mid-ticket overhaul, which became a full heavy general overhaul to get main-line certification. Both had Westinghouse air brakes fitted, both had upgrades to the tender to give it a corridor connection and both had mainline TPWS, OTMR, electric lights and modern sanding equipment fitted. In addition, they were outshopped in the new NER company livery scheme - namely Darlington green, lined out as if it were British Railways colour scheme in black and white. The idea for this was that as other regions in British Railways reverted to their previous identities - namely the Western with their Engine green and brown and cream coaches - that the NER could have done the same and gone for its historic Darlington green. 

Here, pictures show some of the pair at work, with a rake of coaches painted into White and NER Crimson, essentially giving a new NER coaching livery scheme based on the companies previous traditional colours matched for newer stock. The rake has other coaches mixed into it as the rake is incomplete but will be done soon to have a full new NER company set and engine available for traffic, including a BG fitted out as a water carrier. 

post-7347-0-96163600-1468404264_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-07276000-1468404281_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-03730400-1468404338_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-00985600-1468404386_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-15265000-1468404409_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

I've posted these elsewhere on my workbench (see signature below), but here's a slightly botched together Stirling Single in lined BR black that I built a couple of years ago now (doesn't time fly!) from a Bachmann 'Emily' and various parts from a Dapol 'Schools' kit. It's even got a name (sacrilege I know!), which is visible in the 1st photo, taken a bit more recently than the second.

post-19778-0-07753200-1488241739_thumb.jpg  

post-19778-0-57654000-1488241756_thumb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

At TMC about 10 years ago I did a livery switch between a Virgin HST and a Flying Scotsman.

The HST was re-geared 18 times higher and finished in BR Green early crest. It's motors just produced smoke and it never really ran. I have it somewhere still. But the Red Virgin Cross contry Flying Sccotsma looked amazing! The tenter finished with a huge black triangle and white stripes to match the coaches. The wheel rims were painted white (a bit like the rims on the Royal class 47's) The livery worked so well!

We pulled 10 donors out to do a batch of them due to popular demand but then I never got round to them. One was to go to Richard Branson as he had just funnded the Scotsman's work back then. But I did a few models for Prince Charles so eventually had a claim to a famous customer anyway.

The model can now be seen (on request) running around the track in the Birchall Inn in Beck Hole. I'll photo it this week if somehow I remember.

What a great topic JDW and everyone else!

Rob

Edited by How about a Dictator Loco Class?
  • Like 3

Bulleid's Turf Burner 66look alike Loco in Load Haul livery would look great (spelt Toad Hall I saw that on drawn onto a real class 60 once!!!)

Or the gas turbine Apt in Class 158 Express livery.

This picture is of the body for a giant version of a spoof Duchess I once did.

post-30092-0-21334300-1488415859.png

Edited by How about a Dictator Loco Class?
  • Like 4

Bulleid's Turf Burner 66look alike Loco in Load Haul livery would look great (spelt Toad Hall I saw that on drawn onto a real class 60 once!!!)

Or the gas turbine Apt in Class 158 Express livery.

This picture is of the body for a giant version of a spoof Duchess I once did.

A giant Duchess... mounted on the back of a light Pacific rebuild? I would like to know the story here.

A giant Duchess... mounted on the back of a light Pacific rebuild? I would like to know the story here.

The Light Pacific rebuild (featuring giant prototypical soldering iron burn holes in the cab sides) is acting mearly as a display pedestal for the Lengthy Duchess. And giving an impression of the scale of said beautiful bird poo bedecked Duchess jockey.

It's not a form of complex steam locomotive mating procedure.

We joined a loco and tender with a 'crew link coupling' (as opposed to a skrew link coupling) with the cab crew's linked arms being the sole connection. Not very practical.

We once modelled an in cab, cab crew fight scene. It was a gruesome affair with blood soaked tender tools brandished and the odd rogue limb kicking around here and there. Appropriately it was later binned!

Then Toby Jennings (now assistant predator at Steam Railway magazine) once accumulated many pesky bluebottles one summer in a jam jar.

They were skilfully and promptly shot down by his 6 shot, trusty elastic band gun whenever they zoomed in, pestering him in his 'no fly zone'

Eventually they were put to good use with PVA in a loco tender. A real fly load as opposed to a real coal load. And inline with this fictitious re-liveried models topic, several were carefully dismantled, repainted silver and carefully modified with superglue to have extra wings or double length and push me pull you bodies.

It looked horrible!!!!

You will be relieved to know that such gross behaviour and silly games ceased many years ago.

In the 'one day' (probably never) pile i have an old green Lima Deltic that doesn't fit with anything else i model, so have plans in my head to repaint it in the 'Express' version of Regional Railways that was applied to 158s. Idea was it would be good for long distance cross country services like Norwich - Liverpool if that had stayed loco hauled with mk2 carriages rather than going DMU.

• Like 2

Ace Trains of London, modern maker of coarse-scale 0 gauge, often has a small run of fictitious livery locos in among whatever they produce. Most striking were a few pink (yes, you read that right) Schools class locos, named St Trinian's, but their most recent is actually rather neat: a 9F in a blue livery, named "Leicester City", in honour of the team's performance last season (clearly not this season!).

Apparently, these few fictitious locos tend to sell mainly to non-railway enthusiast types, who buy them effectively as mantelpiece ornaments!

K

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Light Pacific rebuild (featuring giant prototypical soldering iron burn holes in the cab sides) is acting mearly as a display pedestal for the Lengthy Duchess. And giving an impression of the scale of said beautiful bird poo bedecked Duchess jockey.

It's not a form of complex steam locomotive mating procedure.

We joined a loco and tender with a 'crew link coupling' (as opposed to a skrew link coupling) with the cab crew's linked arms being the sole connection. Not very practical.

We once modelled an in cab, cab crew fight scene. It was a gruesome affair with blood soaked tender tools brandished and the odd rogue limb kicking around here and there. Appropriately it was later binned!

Then Toby Jennings (now assistant predator at Steam Railway magazine) once accumulated many pesky bluebottles one summer in a jam jar.

They were skilfully and promptly shot down by his 6 shot, trusty elastic band gun whenever they zoomed in, pestering him in his 'no fly zone'

Eventually they were put to good use with PVA in a loco tender. A real fly load as opposed to a real coal load. And inline with this fictitious re-liveried models topic, several were carefully dismantled, repainted silver and carefully modified with superglue to have extra wings or double length and push me pull you bodies.

It looked horrible!!!!

You will be relieved to know that such gross behaviour and silly games ceased many years ago.

Is that what is meant by fly shunting?

Ok nurse, I'll take my nice medication now...

What about a dictator class? do you mean naming a locomotive after Stalin or Mussolini? :jester:

I can't take glory for this idea. Toby Jennings said his colleagues at Steam Railway thought a dictator Class would have been a fun idea. With locos named after Hitler and Mussolini types.

A Colonel Gadaffi loco would be covered in crests many being the same ones repeated, repeatedly like the fictional medals he invented for his crazy uniforms.

As regards Fictitious Models, I'm planning to make a 'Point Turntable' It's a turntable but with a point on instead of a straight track. You may say what's the point but at least it's not pointless, like a normal turntable!

There actually is a double decker turntable in real life in Europe on a preserved line! May be narrow gauge?

An intercity swallow livery 158 would be nice and a Class 142 in Royal Train livery!!!

I'd love to hear people's fun ideas for fictitious loco names, layout place names etc? (-:

• Like 2

Anyone needing ideas for Steam?

P2 rebuilt into A4 in Brunswick Green, BR Express Blue. (Really like the idea of the Bruswick green job).

B1 in BR Express blue, late crest - adopted as the Eastern region went blue after the GWR went back to green, Midland went Maroon. (Im tempted to do this one)

Brit, Duke into BR Express blue or BR Black.

Something more modern:

Royal Scot / Merchant Navy into WCRC livery akin to Galatea.

Something really different:

Brit, A4, A2, King into new colour: Darlington Greeen, NER Crimson, Gold, Purple/Plum lined, in new house colours for a new company.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifBR60156w.jpg

Ian R

www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk

Didn't Railway Magazine run an April fools stunt a few years ago that the A1's named after companies that formed the LNER would be painted in the appropriate livery. GER blue with white cab roof and red connecting rods would look good on an A1.

• RMweb Premium

An IEP in intercity livery.

A class 68 in large logo

Any of the new southern region EMU s in Network south east livery

A class 170 in regional railways livery.

A Deltic in virgin trains east coast livery.

...Are things you've done, or random suggestions? I reckon a Deltic in DRS would look good!

• Like 1