Wenford Dries

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing the link.

I knew they were heading for a transformation as one of my college pals did an architectural proposal for it...not sure if they were selected though.

• RMweb Premium

Also for those interested there are improved public transport links in the area. Wenford has very seldom seen a bus in all its years and those to nearby St. Breward have been like rocking horse poo. But local firm Western Greyhound now runs route 561 between Wadebridge or Bodmin and Camelford calling at the top end of the Camel Trail by Wenford Driers and serving numerous other isolated villages as well.

http://www.westerngreyhound.com/route_pdf2/561.pdf

The route is supported by Cornwall Council which is reviewing its rural service provision against costs; use it or lose it.

• RMweb Gold

Ive got some pictures on my Computer from a recent vist if anyones intrested ill post them on here

Yes please Tom...am starting my 7mm model of it this summer so that would be very helpful - thanks :)

Thanks Tom and XF...all very useful stuff.

Let's hope it gets a refurb rather than stay another neglected ruin...

Hear Hear.......

Thanks for the pics & the link......Great stuff ,but rather sad the neglect

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Premium

Slightly off topic, but if I recall correctly, the dries at Carbis Wharf (Great Wheal Prosper) were successfully converted to private dwellings a few years ago. So it can be done.

• RMweb Gold

The two orginal kilns are grade 2 listed structures so they may well not be suitable for housing

At least they are not Grade 1!

I would like to think that a good Architect should be able to work within those constraints...

Where's £195,000 when you need it!

Save your money Jack instead!

For me its a bit of a missed opportuntunity as looking inside the apartments you could be anywhere - It would have been nice to have exploited better the great cross section that these dries buildings have and incorporate mezzanine areas to enjoy the space more. But I expect the project was driven by money and the need to cram in as much as possible to make a nice profit....

Sorry for talking shop...

• RMweb Gold

To illustrate my point better, here is a proposal for Wenford from a chap I studied Architecture with at the Royal College of Art.

The beautiful timber roof structure looks to have been retained and a mezzanine inserted at the rear giving views over the lower floor area and creating (for me) more dramatic exciting spaces...

http://www.karakusevic-carson.com/2011/wenford-dries

To illustrate my point better, here is a proposal for Wenford from a chap I studied Architecture with at the Royal College of Art.

The beautiful timber roof structure looks to have been retained and a mezzanine inserted at the rear giving views over the lower floor area and creating (for me) more dramatic exciting spaces...

http://www.karakusev...1/wenford-dries

I see what you mean, it would be nice to have a completely open living space with the living area/kitchen in the clay storage area with the large loading doors being made into huge windows, then have an open bedroom on the drying floor over looking the kitchen and living area. Then have a couple of steps from the bedroom up into the slurry tank at the rear which could be converted into a court yard with a hot-tub. Keep a lot of the timber and masonary exposed for a sort of "rustic chic". Would make a nice bachelor pad! :sungum:

Cheers,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

I see what you mean, it would be nice to have a completely open living space with the living area/kitchen in the clay storage area with the large loading doors being made into huge windows, then have an open bedroom on the drying floor over looking the kitchen and living area. Then have a couple of steps from the bedroom up into the slurry tank at the rear which could be converted into a court yard with a hot-tub. Keep a lot of the timber and masonary exposed for a sort of "rustic chic". Would make a nice bachelor pad!

You forgot to mention where the railway room is Jack :P

I like the desigin in Pete's link but to be fair to the builders at Carclaze (Wain Homes, I think) the price ceiling for the top end of St Austell and the rural Wenfordbridge area are probably slightly different and act as limiting factors on what one is free to do

Fair comment Mickey...its just for me, when an old building is converted into a change of use, I prefer to see an architectural response which reminds people of the buildings former use...the chimney and some old equipment (last pic) being the only nod to the clay dries.

Even the Estate Agents descriptions says nothing about the building being converted from a former industrial building...

Rant over :angry: :D

Archived