Wainwright 'C'

Ian Hargrave

Bachmann made an 'N' Class in the same SECR Grey livery about 10? 15 years ago.

Ah, that was before I got back into railway modelling so I wouldn't have seen it, but thanks for the tip. I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Better save your pennies a bit first. The model was, as stated above, part of a two-loco pack in a wooden case. They do occasionally appear on ebay - but at collectors' prices. You'd do better buying a more affordable version and getting a spray can!

Huh! When I tried flogging mine a few years ago, it didn't reach the reserve price, so I didn't put the pair back up for sale, rather glad I kept them now, they do look nice...

This one sold for £125 only a week ago - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-150-TWIN-SET-N-CLASS-LOCOS-SE-CR-810-SR-1863-KADER-50th-MIB-/230945187761?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35c567e7b1

Appreciate these haven't sold yet, but....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-150-N-Class-x-2-SECR-SR-810-1824-Ltd-Edition-CERT-No-2-Unrun-00-/380539770352?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5899f015f0 - £190

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-150-N-Class-set-of-2-locos-limited-edition-/230823547829?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35be27d3b5 - £229.99

Thanks for the links folks, but having seen them, somehow that 'N' Class doesn't appeal as much as the grey Class C.

But I still love anything in pre-Grouping livery.

The only thing with the Wainwright that I can't quite reconcile is the protrusion of the motor at the boiler end of the firebox. I wish they had managed to find a way to avoid that as it looks even worse to me on the grey one.

However, as I'm only really interested in the M&GN, and there's nothing ready to run available for the original Joint yet (yes, I know about the Ivatt 4MT - I've somehow ended up with eight of those so far...), I'll keep saving and hope that one day there is.

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody had any success (or failure) with fitting the cab doors to their 'C'? I can see (just) from the exploded diagram, included with the model, where they go, but not how best to position them so that they don't interfere with running.

• 2 months later...

A Class C in SECR lined green was sold at auction yesterday for a hammer price of £150, which comes to just short of £180 with the charges added in - I wonder if it will appear on Ebay?

Most certainly! I bet Bachmann wished they'd produced more now!

Most certainly! I bet Bachmann wished they'd produced more now!

Demand is finite. Ideal sales technique is to shift the product completely as soon as possible following manufacture. What this leads to is making the largest batch that you believe will completely sell out fast: and that means slightly smaller than the anticipated customer demand.

The Bachmann Collectors' club SECR grey C class is still available at £90.10 delivered. It will be interesting to see how well the forthcoming SECR liveried C class sells - I suspect that the pretty lined version that sold out so quick sold a great deal on how eye catching it looks. I am ever so glad that my model did not fall into the swag bag of the scumbag who burgled my train room - it was the next model in line and was skewed on the shelf as clearly the divvy had his mitts on it when he was disturbed. 

Archived