Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wainwright 'C'

Ian Hargrave

I'm sure plenty of the SECR version will come onto the market once the initial thrill of seeing a new (and rather nice) pre-grouping livery has worn off. It looks nice on display but some other model will soon come along to take its place as a talking point. Few will actually run it regularly as a preserved loco and who has an SECR layout? The prospect of it continuing to gain value and therefore being worth keeping in its box is far from certain. There will be some profit-taking and then the price is likely to fall as more come onto the market. It will probably always fetch a premium but I believe in a year or so it will be accessible and affordable again.

But you can't have mine. I'm a genuine SECR fan, who used to see the C class at work every day, and is earnestly hoping Bachmann will do the gorgeous D class in exactly the same way.

....except next time I suspect I won't get the brass dome version from Sheffield for just seventy-one quid ............

Mine,a green S.E.C.R. version,arrived in December.

I resisted the temptation to open it and kept it for Christmas Day but as I was working I never got around to it.

I meant to open it on New Year's Eve or Day but still didn't open it,no idea why.

It's my 60th Birthday on Sunday so I might open it then,I suppose.

Mine,a green S.E.C.R. version,arrived in December.

I resisted the temptation to open it and kept it for Christmas Day but as I was working I never got around to it.

I meant to open it on New Year's Eve or Day but still didn't open it,no idea why.

It's my 60th Birthday on Sunday so I might open it then,I suppose.

Just hope it works 'cos you can't (won't want to!) send it back!

Happy Birthday for Sunday - don't let the number get to you; I had mine last year and its not so bad!!

Thanks for the glad tidings,no 60 is not just a number......I want a layout and the last one I had was 6 X 4 on chipboard on my bedroom floor with the "Lord of the Isles" set back in 1964 or so.

As I spin towards the inevitable I buy Pre Gouping sort of stuff(Gwr so far except the C Class) with a stupid idea that one day...oh yeah....that I might build a layout at some time unspecified in the future.

I wonder why I bother.

Apart from that life is hunky dory thanks..

Les

P.S.If you have any suggestions feel free to look at 8 x 4 Garden Shed Layout thread in Layout Forums.

P.P.S.Calling me a miserable old XXX is not an option.  

...Just as we got "bored" of GWR branchline layouts, might modellers be looking for something different from BR steam/diesel transition? ...

Hopefully one of the real potentials of pre-group origin subjects - such as the C - is to make the many versions of steam/diesel transition more accessible. Practically every pre-group company's lines went to the end of steam dependent on the small stock inherited by BR from the Big Four, which they in turn received from their constituents. The Great Weariness has indeed been done to death, the interesting variety potential lies all before us.

And now I actually have a C class to play with, am very pleased with it. The only detail quibble is probably just a little too much fidelity in the loco to tender coupling spacing and the fall plate dimensions. Had to remove the intermediate buffers from the tender front to allow the adjustable slide to close up the spacing as far as possible to something like scale. Looks excellent, the fall plate just about covering the resulting gap when static. While running it is another matter. There is just enough slack on the coupling that the fall plate can drop off the rear of the cab floor while on straight track and then locks the ensemble into straight ahead only configuration. Most likely I will tweak the slide arrangement to bring loco and tender that significant half millimetre closer, so the fall plate cannot drop off the cab floor.

Running problems. Peco setrack points, esp curved point (only one left on layout), point appears to have frog fractionaally higher than surrounding point, and loco stalls at anything resembling slowish, as centre wheelset pass over. I presume the chassis is non compensated; all my other Bachmann 6-wheel pickup locos have some form of compensation.

I think the pickups are all ok, its getting power when lifted onto front or rear wheels. After about 4 hours running wheels could probably do with a clean (although bit early for a new loco). Anyone else got problems on setrack pointwork. I'm tempted to phone peco... /sadly I can't use anything other than setrack geometry at that particular location...

Unfortunately Bachmann have done a design clever and deleted tender pick ups which would have helped. But having a raised frog is not ideal anyway if I've had that problem I've used a large fine toothed file to gently smooth it level.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Let us hope that the SECR Wainwright is to have some period rolling stock to go with it, I have built my own fictional carriages for my SECR loco, I Know they were mainly goods locos but it does look good pulling a rake of 4 wheeled coaches.

I was lucky enough to find a rather nicely built Roxey LCDR Grande Vitesse van at a recent swap meeting here in Melbourne. It was painted a light green but I am already repainting it in a red/maroon (EWS maroon to start with!) to resemble its SECR livery. Cost? $AUS20 or around 12.50GBP. I need to fit couplings and line it out once I'm happy with the main body colour but it is ideal as part of a future passenger train for the SECR 'C'.

Is there any surviving SECR coaching stock that didn't spend much of the 20th Century as part of a house? If there was then I presume it would be a likely candidate for a model as it would have been likely to have survived through several eras probably as departmental stock and therefore would have more appeal to modellers of different periods. 

Is there a website somewhere that lists all preserved coaches? My Google searches reveled only one site that proved to be impossible to do any meaningful search through unless you knew in advance the coach you were looking for. 

Did you find this page? http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/car_list.html

ISTR a chap named Dave Clark reporting the amazing works he and colleagues had undertaken there.

Yes Ian, but I found it all 'Bits and Pieces', then reading further left me 'Glad all Over'!

Totally lost on anyone born after 1955,

Cheers,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

Yes Ian, but I found it all 'Bits and Pieces', then reading further left me 'Glad all Over'!

Totally lost on anyone born after 1955,

Cheers,

Peter C.

Will Glad now appear in the Savile Enquiry, claiming to have been "felt all over" at the time, and regretting it now?

Is there any surviving SECR coaching stock that didn't spend much of the 20th Century as part of a house? If there was then I presume it would be a likely candidate for a model as it would have been likely to have survived through several eras probably as departmental stock and therefore would have more appeal to modellers of different periods. 

Is there a website somewhere that lists all preserved coaches? My Google searches reveled only one site that proved to be impossible to do any meaningful search through unless you knew in advance the coach you were looking for. 

I know I've a book somewhere which lists general preserved coaching stock, but the only one I can find at present is Peter Cooper's LSWR Stock Book, which lists all the preserved Locos, carriages & wagons of the LSWR.  Bit off your territory!

If I can find it I'll send you a message, unless another member knows the book I'm referring to and can remember the title, which I can't! :scratchhead:

Looks like there are a few coaches that survived right through until the BR period; one at least in departmental use until the late 1970s. Given that they are preserved at the Bluebell and at least a couple fully restored and in use, there's some good options for RTR coaches. However, the late SECR livery for coaches looks somewhat boring compared to the lovely lined livery of the C class!

Birdcage sets immediately spring to mind and they seem to do quite well in the polls too, so there could be potential. I have always felt that these would be more to Hornby's taste than Bachmann's, as they would compliment the Hornby Maunsells fantastically and would look quite at home behind many of Hornby's Southern locos.

With regards to my own SECR liveried C class, as I reported at Christmas it arrived dead and had to be sent back to Bachmann via the always efficient retailer from whom it was purchased. I rang the shop on Friday to ask if they have had it back yet, now around 6 weeks down the line, and they had not, despite a couple of other livery variants having been sent back to the factory and returned in a much shorter time scale. They didn't seem too concerned, though did state the usually turnaround time is about 2 weeks. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do next?

Like you Chris I would love to see some Birdcage or any SECR coaches... I did speak to a Bachmann chap at an exhibition in November... who didn't seem to think any birdcage brakes exsisted... but made sure he knew there were a few... 3 or so on the Bluebell 1 in operation, also Kent East Sussex has one also... they really don't seem to want to do coaches... even if they could do a 3 coach set... but of course they would rather sell them in singles.

I would imagine they will do more SECR locos in the future as well... think the C-Class shares the same tender as the D-Class at the NRM also... plus with the SECR livery selling so well they would be daft not to.

Guest Belgian

I think these are SECR coaches?  Am not an expert.  I guess you could have an excuse that brand spnking new D6508 failed and was subbed by a C class?

7784450500_d83ab7ca3c_z.jpg

D6508 passing Shorne Marshes by Gricerman, on Flickr

Those appear to be the two 2-sets of ex-SECR railmotor coaches used on the Allhallows branch, normally hauled by H tanks but occasionally to be seen behind Cromptons.

JE

Archived