RMweb

Wainwright 'C'

Ian Hargrave

Dark Lake should be a crimson/red colour.

...and there was me thinking it was a place....

"The bells of waiting Advent ring,

The Tortoise stove is lit again

And lamp-oil light across the night

Has caught the streaks of winter rain.

In many a stained-glass window sheen

From Crimson Lake to Hooker's Green.... "   John Betjeman

Come to think of it, Hooker's Green would be a great name for a layout - sort of South London/Kent/East Sussex-ish... 

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know when these will be available from the website? I have a hankering for one and wasn't able to make it to Cov on a workday

Just looked at the club website - already listed as ready for purchase,

Keith

Yes, about five minutes after I posted that my debit card took a slug in the stomach :D

For everyone else, the price is actually £90 inc P&P, and not £85. It wasnt a problem for em, and I doubt it will be for many, just thought it might bear a mention

But why bother to buy it from the Collectors' Club when it's available on eBay for only £179.95 with £5.95 delivery:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-460K-SE-CR-Class-C-Collectors-Club-Limited-Edition-of-504-/290882059749?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43b9ebfde5

You could have three years subscription and the model for that. I'll bet someone buys it too.

• RMweb Gold

It's  a sobering thought that a Collectors Club member is using his membership for commercial gain of,in this case,of staggering proportion.Is this what it's all about ? Nothing new in this.of course and the cynics among us will no doubt echo........'Nothing wrong in that,is there ?' Is this use or abuse of privilege ?  It's  all a matter of choice.

I must confess that had I been able to, I would have bought more than one of them and flogged them on eBay. However, £179 while that damn thing is available for little over £115 with a demand for instant payment seems rather cheeky to me

• RMweb Gold

I must confess that had I been able to, I would have bought more than one of them and flogged them on eBay. However, £179 while that damn thing is available for little over £115 with a demand for instant payment seems rather cheeky to me

Actually...it's £84.95 on the day....a week ago today,in fact

• RMweb Gold

Website price is £90.10 including UK delivery, plus £26.00 membership gets you to a "little over £115".

But £84.95 is what the'seller' paid for it. That is the point I am trying to make. I went to the event. I saw it and was briefly tempted. I walked away because,basically,it has no place in my particular scheme of things. Selling it on is not for me. The Collectors Club....as has been said before....is good value for its £26.So here we are again,investing in limited editions. Like works of art,the new way to make money ?

But £84.95 is what the'seller' paid for it. That is the point I am trying to make. I went to the event. I saw it and was briefly tempted. I walked away because,basically,it has no place in my particular scheme of things. Selling it on is not for me. The Collectors Club....as has been said before....is good value for its £26.So here we are again,investing in limited editions. Like works of art,the new way to make money ?

I'm afraid I don't see why you're so certain about the £84.95, most of us couldnt get to the open day and ahve ordered the thing from the collector website

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I don't see why you're so certain about the £84.95, most of us couldnt get to the open day and ahve ordered the thing from the collector website

The reason That I AM so certain is that,as I have stated in what you have quoted, I was THERE on the day and that IS what would have been paid for it THEN. This exchange reminds me of the biblical 'Doubting Thomas'

Bother it. I can't recall any R-T-R model of a WW1 locomotive (or a locomotive in WW1 livery) before. I have no interest in the Southern area, and it's unlikely I ever will have, but I've just spent nearly £91 simply because that model looks so great.

Perhaps I ought to sell my lined green SECR one to finance it...!

But I must resist the new birdcage coaches.

Must resist...

Must resist.

Must.

Bother it. I can't recall any R-T-R model of a WW1 locomotive (or a locomotive in WW1 livery) before. I have no interest in the Southern area, and it's unlikely I ever will have, but I've just spent nearly £91 simply because that model looks so great.

Must resist...

Must resist.

Must.

Bachmann made an 'N' Class in the same SECR Grey livery about 10? 15 years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, that was before I got back into railway modelling so I wouldn't have seen it, but thanks for the tip. I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Better save your pennies a bit first. The model was, as stated above, part of a two-loco pack in a wooden case. They do occasionally appear on ebay - but at collectors' prices. You'd do better buying a more affordable version and getting a spray can!

• RMweb Gold

Better save your pennies a bit first. The model was, as stated above, part of a two-loco pack in a wooden case. They do occasionally appear on ebay - but at collectors' prices. You'd do better buying a more affordable version and getting a spray can!

Huh! When I tried flogging mine a few years ago, it didn't reach the reserve price, so I didn't put the pair back up for sale, rather glad I kept them now, they do look nice...

Must resist...

Must resist.

Must.

It is a bit of a dilemma isn't it - do you commit to building something SECR and buy the birdcages, do you sell the lined green C, or do you consign the loco to the display case along with the LSWR M7 and the LBSCR terrier and ask yourself why you ever bought them in the first place!! They do look very good together though....

It is a bit of a dilemma isn't it - do you commit to building something SECR and buy the birdcages, do you sell the lined green C, or do you consign the loco to the display case along with the LSWR M7 and the LBSCR terrier and ask yourself why you ever bought them in the first place!! They do look very good together though....

Or, you could apply 'Rule 1'

Archived