Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wainwright 'C'

Ian Hargrave

Manufacturers always measure more locos than they produce... or keep it in store for another year...I wouldn't get too excited.. I have heard this also... but on yours i think you got the wrong Radial. But anyway shall wait and see what they produce, as its not a 2013 release wish list.. Im sure they will come up with the goods,as they have been for the past few years.

Brian

From what I can gather the Southern Black one and the BR version are going to be re-run but not the SECR livery.

Although some would prefer otherwise, I only wanted the SECR Green version as the colour scheme looked so attractive, so I count myself fortunate to have two of these to use when (if) my layout gets finished.

I have to say that I am surprised at Bachmann's reluctance to commit to a re-run of this livery.

I will run what I want on my layout and I would love to see one of the major Manufacturers issue a Holden 1500 Class (B12) with the elaborate cut-out splashers in GER Blue along with a J69!!!

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible that Bachmann's supplier - presumed to be in-house - cannot deliver further SECR versions at the same sort of price? Thus Bachmann would have to charge rather more - and would immediately be accused, not least on here, of ripping-off or milking the market.

There is also an issue of brand image. Bachmann has a dazzling success here, with examples being ebayed at silly prices - is it better for them to bask in that glory, or fulfill everyone's needs with a further run, and become more "ordinary"? I don't know.

................................. but on yours i think you got the wrong Radial. But anyway shall wait and see what they produce, as its not a 2013 release wish list.. Im sure they will come up with the goods,as they have been for the past few years.

I have no idea which, IF ANY, Bachmann might or might not produce (although I would like an E4) but once an S-15 and a 4-COR are out of the way then a Southern freight tank would be an obvious filling of the gap in the market.

I waited decades for a Q1 so I can wait some more for those three models to turn up  -  the 2-BILs will keep me quiet for this yeaar.

• RMweb Premium

I presume by re-run, Bachmann mean that they will produce the same liveries with different numbers, as they do for most models. So not duplicates per se. However, another run of 592 in SECR livery would be of exactly the same loco, so how many would they sell. I suspect few people would want more than one, and although they may be fetching silly prices on Ebay for now, does that really mean there is sufficient demand for another standard production run. Bachmann may well think not.

The success of the C Class might encourage Bachmann (and others) to:

1) Release more models in pre-group livery

2) Create a larger production run so they make increased profit and satisfy more customers

3) Make them consider the era as suitable for development beyond limited scope of special editions and offer some suitable rolling stock.

The success of the C Class might encourage Bachmann (and others) to...........

..........................make them consider the era as suitable for development ..................and offer some suitable rolling stock.

In a nutshell

PB

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible that Bachmann's supplier - presumed to be in-house - cannot deliver further SECR versions at the same sort of price? Thus Bachmann would have to charge rather more - and would immediately be accused, not least on here, of ripping-off or milking the market.

There is also an issue of brand image. Bachmann has a dazzling success here, with examples being ebayed at silly prices - is it better for them to bask in that glory, or fulfill everyone's needs with a further run, and become more "ordinary"? I don't know.

This is always going to be a problem with models like this - and discounting at retail level also distorts things and might (particularly at Hattons' price - which was almost down to the trade price I understand) encourage a sort of false demand which wouldn't happen at a more realistic retail price level.  To re-run against that sort of background is then a difficult decision for any manufacturer because it could be very difficult to determine where the demand:price ratio lies.  The only sure method is to re-run against firm retailer orders but that simply transfers the risk so would retailers in turn only order against firm end customer orders?

Difficult decisions all round I think and what it will come down to in the end is whether or not Bachmann are prepared to take the risk.   Regrettably I think this situation is symptomatic of the way the market is changing with higher fidelity models produced in sufficient numbers and priced to cover the investment plus profit but not in such large quantities as to allow stocks to develop in the retail trade.  At the same time the retailers are being a lot more careful and are basically ordering what they know will shift to cover their outlay plus profit.  But the good side of it is that money is turned over relatively quickly - so it keeps new models coming and it keeps folk in business.

A co-conspirator of mine has an SECR one, I've just ordered a black SR version which will be renumbered and have the "Southern" virtually (but not quite) erased and an early "British Railways" in Gill Sans put over the top, as some locos were photo'd around 1950.  I have a photo of a C2X with its BR number in Sunshine on the rear of the tender, might even do that.

Its not very well done weathering either .Some discreet weathering can enhance any model if doe carefully but that looks so fake and not thought out .Mind you, get some micro cloth  and some very careful  work and you could remove the worst and get a better look even polish the paint up a bit .Wot a mistaka to maka .

• RMweb Gold

This is always going to be a problem with models like this - and discounting at retail level also distorts things and might (particularly at Hattons' price - which was almost down to the trade price I understand) encourage a sort of false demand which wouldn't happen at a more realistic retail price level.

Mike makes a very good point. Its fascinating to see what happens in the model railway business; a new product arrives, it is seen as desirable and the first thing retailers do is to sell it at a significant discount. As a young man I always wanted a Morgan sports car (wanting doesn't mean you can ever afford one!), there is still a waiting list for them, cannot see them ever reducing the price. Can you get a good discount on any car that is both new and desirable? If I were Bachmann, given the way model production takes place in small batches, I would not do a re-run of the SECR version. Next time a 'really desirable' model is announced we, the punter, are much more likely to place an advance order and ensure that the run is a sell out.

Godfrey

• RMweb Gold

This is always going to be a problem with models like this - and discounting at retail level also distorts things and might (particularly at Hattons' price - which was almost down to the trade price I understand) encourage a sort of false demand which wouldn't happen at a more realistic retail price level.

Mike makes a very good point. Its fascinating to see what happens in the model railway business; a new product arrives, it is seen as desirable and the first thing retailers do is to sell it at a significant discount. As a young man I always wanted a Morgan sports car (wanting doesn't mean you can ever afford one!), there is still a waiting list for them, cannot see them ever reducing the price. Can you get a good discount on any car that is both new and desirable? If I were Bachmann, given the way model production takes place in small batches, I would not do a re-run of the SECR version. Next time a 'really desirable' model is announced we, the punter, are much more likely to place an advance order and ensure that the run is a sell out.

Godfrey

And I suspect Bachmann might have been a little surprised by the speed at which it sold - it is included in their full page add in the February BRM.

• RMweb Gold

For those of you for whom this is a 'must have' ,TMC have 2 on offer on e-bay at £129.99,p&p inc.....weathered. An acquired taste...anyone want to'spoil'the lovely paintwork,then?

Don't really see the point of this, quite apart from spoiling the lovely paintwork which is why it's sold so well.  In actual SECR days engines were almost always kept spotless as there were always plenty of cleaners available.  And I doubt whether the Bluebell Railway would ever allow the engine to look like this!

Don't really see the point of this, quite apart from spoiling the lovely paintwork which is why it's sold so well.  In actual SECR days engines were almost always kept spotless as there were always plenty of cleaners available.  And I doubt whether the Bluebell Railway would ever allow the engine to look like this!

Apart from burnt smokeboxes and a bit of dirt on the running gear, most of the 'weatherhing' on pre-group locos is where the paint has been worn away by the cleaners. The TMC models have been given the usual e-Bay weathering (a quick 30 second waft with an airbrush full of dirty browny-grey paint).

• RMweb Premium

My hope, is that the success of this model is not just down to collectors and indicates a growing interest in pre-grouping. This would be a new market to be tapped for manufacturers, although I suspect it will remain relatively small and depend on the prototypes living on through grouping and nationalisation. Just as we got "bored" of GWR branchline layouts, might modellers be looking for something different from BR steam/diesel transition? 

Speaking for myself, my son and I are building a small layout "somewhere in the south" to run my small stable of lbsc, lswr and now secr locos set in the Great War period with liberal helpings of modelers licence. There are a reasonable amount of kits available for rolling stock, but whilst I can build a wagon, coaches kits are intimidating, mainly due to painting the liveries (buying built kits remains beyond my pocket). There is also a dearth of suitable transfers. So more rtr of this period would be welcomed in our household.

Delivered within 24hrs of order (thanks Kernow!).  May not be as pretty as the Wainwright livery, but still attractive in a workaday sense and (when weathered and 'early BR'd') will look very much the part.  Sorry about the artificial lighting, it's very dull outside!

post-6669-0-41205400-1357829544.jpg

post-6669-0-02352000-1357829546.jpg

post-6669-0-70220900-1357829547.jpg

post-6669-0-53562500-1357829549.jpg

My hope, is that the success of this model is not just down to collectors and indicates a growing interest in pre-grouping. This would be a new market to be tapped for manufacturers, although I suspect it will remain relatively small and depend on the prototypes living on through grouping and nationalisation. Just as we got "bored" of GWR branchline layouts, might modellers be looking for something different from BR steam/diesel transition? 

Speaking for myself, my son and I are building a small layout "somewhere in the south" to run my small stable of lbsc, lswr and now secr locos set in the Great War period with liberal helpings of modelers licence. There are a reasonable amount of kits available for rolling stock, but whilst I can build a wagon, coaches kits are intimidating, mainly due to painting the liveries (buying built kits remains beyond my pocket). There is also a dearth of suitable transfers. So more rtr of this period would be welcomed in our household.

I agree with you, pre-grouping is the way forward. There's little of the mainstream left from 1923 onwards that hasn't been modelled, so earlier railway companies must surely be the next market to be looked at.

I agree with you, pre-grouping is the way forward. There's little of the mainstream left from 1923 onwards that hasn't been modelled, so earlier railway companies must surely be the next market to be looked at.

But if they are seriously looking at the pre-grouping era then they will have to start doing a few coaches and wagons to go with the locos.

Small industrial locos are another area that Bachmann and Hornby have hardly touched.

• RMweb Gold

The TMC models have been given the usual e-Bay weathering (a quick 30 second waft with an airbrush full of dirty browny-grey paint).

Way too much in my opinion but someone will buy it I'm sure.

Archived