chaz

Two boards up so that I could finish adding the trim to the baseboard edges and the Velcro just below it.

P1030156-2_zps79fd639d.jpg

Jill (who is making the curtains) suggested that the Velcro be a little below the trim so that the top of the curtains will tuck in snugly against the trim.

I have been working on the other two boards for a while (the room is only big enough for two at a time) and swapping them over and seeing these two finished and ready to go I was quite bowled over and more than a little proud of what Pete and I have achieved. That's Pete's excellent bridge at the far end of the canopy. This is the first model railway I have ever finished - I have never bothered before - just shows what a motivation taking a layout to a big show is. Publishing details of the layout on this forum has also been a great encouragement to get on with it. I think I can allow myself some of these. :boast: :boast: :boast: :boast: :boast: :boast:

Having seen the layout in the flesh and helped to hump boards around in the room in the view, all I can say is that this is a superb layout.  Every aspect of Dock Green displays excellent craftmanship, creative design and sound engineering. It will be well worth dwelling at Dock Green at Warley, always assuming one can get to the front of the crowd.  

Well yes Dudley, I take your point. But for a quick snap like this it hardly matters..... does it?

My comment wasn't intended as a criticism in any way Chaz - just offering an alternative to a polarising filter which you'd mentioned  :D

Kind regards,

D

My comment wasn't intended as a criticism in any way Chaz - just offering an alternative to a polarising filter which you'd mentioned  :D

Kind regards,

D

Sorry if my reply seemed a bit snappy - it wasn't meant to be - your point was a good one, and to be kept in mind when taking snaps in future.

Having seen the layout in the flesh and helped to hump boards around in the room in the view, all I can say is that this is a superb layout.  Every aspect of Dock Green displays excellent craftmanship, creative design and sound engineering. It will be well worth dwelling at Dock Green at Warley, always assuming one can get to the front of the crowd.  

Well thank you Mr Klein.

Very kind. I only hope there is a crowd at Warley, it won't be too encouraging if there isn't. Any RMwebbers who have contributed to the conversation on this thread and are in "the crowd" at Warley - please make yourselves known and say hello. In the words of the late Kenneth Williams "Don't be strange".

Are you taking it to any shows other than Warley Chaz? Us older layout groupees might like to see it away from the masses!  :swoon:

D.

Basingstoke in March and next year's GOG show at Telford are  the only definites but it's early days....

Thanks Jack

Looks amazing Chaz, It's a shame that I don't live in the UK, as I'm missing out on seeing these layouts in the flesh!

Thanks Jack. I do hope to shoot some video of the layout so you may see something of it in action.

• Like 1

I started "glazing" the street lamps yesterday. I didn't want to glue four individual pieces of clear plastic into the lamp heads as this struck me as very fiddly and potentially very messy. It ocurred to me that if I could cut out and fold up a single piece it might well fit with no need for any adhesive.

The first picture shows my first go.

P1030158-2_zps03ca8e11.jpg

On the left are a spare etch for a lamp head and a trapezium of 10 thou' Plasticard cut to be a bit smaller than one of the lamp faces. I used this as a template to mark out the net for the shape to be folded up. I taped a piece of clear plastic over the drawing and scored it as accurately as I could. I took the work off the drawing before completing the cuts so that it could be used again.

I scored up the plastic on the fold lines and formed it into a lantern shape.

P1030165-2_zps8925025f.jpg

This plastic is tough and takes some cutting through - it also keeps its shape well if it's scored and folded.

A trial fit was promising but showed that my original Plasticard trapezium was too large.

P1030160-2_zps737fbff4.jpg

It took three more goes, slicing thin strips off the template and redrawing the net, to get a successful result. Here's the fourth attempt, a good fit, being tried in a lamp head with the top held on to check the clearances.

P1030164-2_zps8fd0c210.jpg

I can now go ahead and make three more glazing sets from the final drawing. I will post again when I have assembled the street lights.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

Some time ago I built an N7 from the excellent Connoisseur kit and for quite a long time it ran on my home layout in plain black.  I knew that it ought to have BR mixed traffic lining (although I am aware that some of them did run for a while in plain black). When I tried to add the lining with waterslides I was unhappy with the results (pigs-ears spring to mind). So after a little soul-searching I decided to pay somebody else to paint and line it.  A friend recommended John Dobson so I phoned him and looked at his website. The photographs of his work online were most encouraging so I talked to him about the job.

P1030124-2_zpse7c3d551.jpg

Chaz

Woops

"and looked at his website."   No I didn't, cos he hasn't got one. :jester:  No wonder Google couldn't find him. It was a while ago that I first got in contact but John has just reminded me that he sent me some photos of his work attached to an email, and most encouraging they were.

Should you be interested enough to want to contact John you can email him at...

jay.lol@talktalk.net

but John asks that if you do please use "Paint and line" as your title.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

What a brilliant idea! Now, don't forget to score a crack or two in one of the panes every now and then. I guess the glass would most likely crack on the panel that opened to let the lamplighter light the lamp.

Or even remove one completely, put a small stone in the lamp & some broken 'glass' on the floor underneath - and then set PC Dixon off on the hunt for the local urchin with the catapult...!!

More excellent work Chaz, some really great ideas & inspiration coming from your superb layout!

Keith

What a brilliant idea! Now, don't forget to score a crack or two in one of the panes every now and then. I guess the glass would most likely crack on the panel that opened to let the lamplighter light the lamp.

Well, now - the glass was renewed at the same time as these lamps were converted to electricity.....

Or even remove one completely, put a small stone in the lamp & some broken 'glass' on the floor underneath - and then set PC Dixon off on the hunt for the local urchin with the catapult...!!

More excellent work Chaz, some really great ideas & inspiration coming from your superb layout!

Keith

Thank you Keith for the superdetailing suggestion (make the pebble out of DAS? :nono: ) and for the appreciative comments. 

Cheating!  :mosking:

Depends what game you're playing. Me, I make up the rules for Dock Green as I go along....

When I first had Peter Harvey's offer to etch up the lamp heads I decided that I would not want them to work (to light up). However they do need something inside that looks as though it would light up (just like the crews on the footplates need to look like they are working the locos).

P1030170-2_zpsdbac2de2.jpg

This is one of the lamp heads assembled with a miniature 12V bulb superglued in place, the clear plastic folded net popped in and the top glued on. Sorry if you can't see the glazing - it's transparent!

And this is one of the lamps installed on Peter's bridge.

P1030175-2_zpsf8390db3.jpg

I can't snap the two on the other road bridge (the one with PC Dixon on it) as that baseboard is in store while I do one or two jobs on these two. I should be able to get a snap or two at the weekend when that end of the layout will be up again.

Are these sort of details worth the effort?   Well the glazing in the lamp heads is a small extra and might not be noticed by many but it make its own contribution to the whole.

There are quite a few similar details that work in the same way....

• (dummy) hand-throw levers
  • litter
  • barrows, crates etc
  • fence wires
  • etc etc

They give the eye something to alight on and, I hope, make the whole scene richer.

Chaz

• Like 5

Chaz

It has taken me the last several evenings to read the 43 pages of this thread - I have been captivated by your model, and the story of its build, and I think you have achieved a real masterpiece - well done and thank you for the inspiration!

Kind regards, and much respect

SImon

Chaz

It has taken me the last several evenings to read the 43 pages of this thread - I have been captivated by your model, and the story of its build, and I think you have achieved a real masterpiece - well done and thank you for the inspiration!

Kind regards, and much respect

SImon

Not quite sure what I can say to that, except THANKS!

Must have been quite a marathon to read through the whole thing.

A few friends came over and we assembled all four boards (in the kitchen again) for a final shakedown before we take it to the Warley show next weekend.

I grabbed the chance to get a few photos.

P1030197-2_zpseee2a43f.jpg

Above is a view along the reception line, on the right, to the starter signal. in the foreground are the tops of the girders of the bridge over the canal.

P1030188-2_zps814bed71.jpg

Above is a view across the cobbled area and on over the yard to the starter signal. The smoke mark on the bridge is vertically above the centre line of the track.

P1030195-2_zpsc9ccf62f.jpg

No apologies for another view of that signal which is one of my favourite models. (Some of you will remember that it once featured on the cover of MRJ) . This snap is from the windows of an (imaginary) building beyond the retaining wall.

EDIT - I have since straightened that slightly wonky finial. As it's a white metal casting (soldered to the brass post) it could be eased straight with very gentle finger pressure.White metal will bend providing you are not too ambitious!

P1030193-2_zpsb79a5507.jpg

The kitchen spotlights make this look like a early evening scene at the end of a warm day. The camera once again highlights a couple of overlooked defects requiring attention.

P1030200-2_zps6843c15e.jpg

The Drewery shunter (later class 04) moves a couple of vans. There is unrelieved gloom under the canopy over the goods platform.

We have a running session tomorrow when I hope to iron out as many of the bugs as we can. In between times I will try to get a few more snaps.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 15