chaz

A couple more snaps grabbed today as we continued our shakedown running...

P1030202-2_zpse4d64c26.jpg

Above - The yard pilot propels a train it has assembled onto the depature/arrival track past the train engine, an ex-GNR saddle tank, which is waiting to couple on.

Crikey! I've just noticed the cobwebs on the loco's dome....

P1030203-2_zpscbdb65b6.jpg

The estate's Peckett saddle tank approaches the canal bridge while in the background the yard pilot is shunting.

And here's the layout stacked away ready for loading into the van on Friday....

P1030208-2_zpsaa65ecd9.jpg

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 12

I offer my best wishes for Dock Green`s (undoubted) success at Warley..........and also, my congratulations for producing such a layout to inspire many (like I), whom may just dream of having such skill and dedication.

Regrettably, I can`t make it to Warley, but hope to be able to enjoy Dock Green at future exhibition; with that in mind and as/when you are able, please keep us informed as to Dock Green`s exhibition schedule.

Probably a bit of a random question but: What is the roll of carpet for?

Saving the feet is quite right. One of my operators has "done" the NEC before and tells me that the concrete floor gets very unpleasant to stand on after the first few hours.

• Like 1

I offer my best wishes for Dock Green`s (undoubted) success at Warley..........and also, my congratulations for producing such a layout to inspire many (like I), whom may just dream of having such skill and dedication.

Regrettably, I can`t make it to Warley, but hope to be able to enjoy Dock Green at future exhibition; with that in mind and as/when you are able, please keep us informed as to Dock Green`s exhibition schedule.

Thank you Debs. Your comments and best wishes are much appreciated.

I will post an "exhibition diary" in due course; we may get an invite at the Warley show. I will also take this chance to say to any of my RMweb followers who are going to the NEC - come and say hello.

My wife is going to be there on Saturday and may well be taking photos. I will post a report when we get back and include some pictures.

Chaz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Saving the feet is quite right. One of my operators has "done" the NEC before and tells me that the concrete floor gets very unpleasant to stand on after the first few hours.

A lot of exhibition venues have hard floor's, when I was on the circuit (17 odd years ago) we had a couple of pieces of carpet plus two layers of under felt underneath, after a few hours even this is hard on the feet if you have to stand up to operate.

SS

A lot of exhibition venues have hard floor's, when I was on the circuit (17 odd years ago) we had a couple of pieces of carpet plus two layers of under felt underneath, after a few hours even this is hard on the feet if you have to stand up to operate.

SS

I have done one or two shows myself (operating a friend's layout), SS, and quite agree with you. A two day show can be quite a tiring event. It always seems a shame to me that at the end of it all, when all you want to do is put your feet up, you have to dismantle the layout, load it into the van, drive home and unload it again. At the point I have questioned my own sanity...

Chaz

You might be interested in a couple of drawings that I did when Dock Green was first planned. drawings like this are very useful if you need to sit down and discuss a project with someone else. They also help you to clarify your own ideas and see possibilities (and impossibilities!). Of course they don't prevent the common problem of mistaking how much space things, particularly trackwork, take up but as an early planning tool they are valuable.

DSC_7019808x577-2_zpsaa17c226.jpg

There were many detail changes made - amongst the most significant being the running line at the back which would have allowed passing passenger traffic to feature. This was left out of the project very early as we tried to shoehorn everything into a 16ft x 2ft space.

DSC_7020904x621-2_zps63e6d55f.jpg

That one shows the goods canopy as first conceived, even more cramped than the model has turned out. The scenic break would have allowed short passenger trains somewhere to go.

I am quite proud of the fact that Dock Green as realised has the feel, the overall look, that I first envisaged.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 6

Very clever work Chaz.  I fear my sketching skill does not match yours though, but I like the idea.  I usually use a black marker pen and draw windows doors and roof line on soap/corn flake/shoe boxes etc. 

Not as exciting to look at but it is done to full size of the scale, in my case 7mm.

Great looking layout.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

When I was exhibiting Sparrow's Wharf my firend Steve who usually operated with me had a bad back and knees so he would operate it sat in front on a chair. Noone seemed to mind and these were generally not major shows. However he also acted as a unofficial loco clinic those who knew him would bring any problem locos along. A seat is very handy just to take the weight off you feet for a few minutes.

Don

• Like 1

Very clever work Chaz.  I fear my sketching skill does not match yours though, but I like the idea.  I usually use a black marker pen and draw windows doors and roof line on soap/corn flake/shoe boxes etc. 

Not as exciting to look at but it is done to full size of the scale, in my case 7mm.

Great looking layout.

Regards

Your method is arguably better Barnaby in that you have a 3D maquette full size. In the next stage I mocked up some of the features full size in foam-board - you can see these if you go back to the early pages of this topic.

When I was exhibiting Sparrow's Wharf my firend Steve who usually operated with me had a bad back and knees so he would operate it sat in front on a chair. Noone seemed to mind and these were generally not major shows. However he also acted as a unofficial loco clinic those who knew him would bring any problem locos along. A seat is very handy just to take the weight off you feet for a few minutes.

Don

We are ahead of you there Don, one of the operating team is bringing two folding stools of a suitable height.

Really nice Chaz, looks like it's going to be a crowd puller. I'm a bit worried about popping over to pick up the 37 in case I ruin your packing order!

Steve

Thanks for the comment Steve. probably best if you delay your trip until after Warley - I am very busy this week. (I wonder why?)

• Like 1

Very nice Chaz... that's a great looking layout that you have constructed... you can be rightly proud of the finished article.... well done..

Pete

Thank you Pete. I ought to utter the cliche that no layout is ever really finished and there are certainly some details that I might add later but it goes to next weekend's show looking finished.

Peter and I were moving the baseboards from the kitchen to my back room, after our shakedown session, when we became aware of just how vulnerable the bracket signal is. Because the doll on the bracket projects above the retaining wall backscene it would be quite easy to knock it against a door frame or similar whilst carrying the baseboard - a possibly fatal impact for a treasured model. So I decided it must be removed to be transported - a simple matter of undoing the screws in the drive wire coupling and lifting the signal out of its socket. But that left me with the problem of how to carry such a delicate and awkwardly shaped item. This is my solution...

P1030212-2_zps46f6f918.jpg

P1030211-2_zps5bbbe014.jpg

As you can see there is enough room in the box for the streetlights too. A little cotton wool under the lamptops and the signal doll should ensure that tne models stay in their tubes whilst in the van.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 9

Exquisite, exquisite   so good it gets said twice.

Have a great show.

Regards

Thank you Barnaby. Judging by the reception Dock Green has got on this forum it should go down well. Not everybodies cup of two I'm sure but then I've never been all that fond of blue diesels. :jester:

Doing a few jobs this week (finishing touches). One that I got around to today was applying the vinyl lettering that I got from this website....

http://www.vinyllettering.co.uk/lettering-tool.php#

I put it off as long as possible to allow the gloss black paint on the lighting beam to really harden off. Also I was a bit nervous about doing it - it looked the sort of job that would be easy to make a pig's ear of.

P1030213-2_zpsfdc4b3ad.jpg

I shouldn't have worried - it was easier to do than the supplier's instructions implied and I am pleased with the result...

P1030215-2_zps322ddeef.jpg

A nice finishing touch to the presentation of the layout - whether it can be seen at a distance rather depends on the other stands around us and opposite.

Chaz

• Like 10

Exciting Chaz!

Well yes Jack. And a bit daunting too, my first big show as a layout owner (I've done a few as a guest operator). I will be working right up to the wire on a few little extras which may or may not be ready in time. In fact....WHAT AM I SITTING HERE FOR???  :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Well yes Jack. And a bit daunting too, my first big show as a layout owner (I've done a few as a guest operator). I will be working right up to the wire on a few little extras which may or may not be ready in time. In fact....WHAT AM I SITTING HERE FOR???  :nono:

Hi Chaz

The NEC is not that daunting, just make sure you've got plenty of provisions behind the layout and you know all the possible routes to the loo and you should be alright. Once they open the doors getting anywhere in a hurry becomes nigh on impossible.

SS