chaz

And for those of you who are unsure, the veritable Chaz is the one leaning over at the far end of the layout.

Should that not be venerable, Mr K? (Not that I would necessarily choose either adjective myself....)

Now, about that Fowler 0-4-0, would it look good on Dock Green if I wanted to do a "diesel session"? I envisage it puttering about on the estate lines, wadderyerfink?

But, GWR livery?  :nono:

Edited by chaz

Hi. We saw Dock Green at Warley on Sunday and were all most impressed - best layout of the show in our opinion. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us as well, and answering all our questions

Rgds Andrew Jones

Luton MRC

Thanks Andrew. I know that DG isn't everybody's cup of tea and many people prefer something with more mainline action but a lot of people I spoke to at the show were very appreciative (I suppose the ones who didn't like it just glanced and moved on - as I do when going round a show).

As for taking the time to talk to you - it was no chore - talking to interested spectators is one of the best bits of exhibiting, IMHO.

Should that not be venerable, Mr K? (Not that I would necessarily choose either adjective myself....)

Now, about that Fowler 0-4-0, would it look good on Dock Green if I wanted to do a "diesel session"? I envisage it puttering about on the estate lines, wadderyerfink?

But, GWR livery?  :nono:

Veritable is right mean "real" in this usage.

Now, about the Fowler. I think one of these locomotives would look excellent in private use on Dock Green (I'm hardly to say anything to the contrary).

We are a multicultural and inclusive lot at Ixion so we took care to have half of the run of Fowlers finished in a plain green livery to satisfy the aspirations, desires and needs of those who are not of the GWR persuasion. We welcome modellers of all faiths or none, including the Eastern Region. I may well respray with black paint one of the plain versions and replace the oil lamp with a different fitting before applying some gentle weathering.

Thread drift - Fowler Diesel

Do the donkey engine boxes on the side come off easily? If so then it could represent the later electric starter versions? (and I might buy one!)

Rgds Andrew Jones

Luton MRC

Andrew,

They can be prised off with some gentle persuasion from a craft knife or small screwdriver. Note that the bonnet panel immediately behind the donkey engine is not louvered.

Regards,

Chris

Some very good photos showing what's necessary at a show from Arrival to unpack, set-up, action performance, knock down, pack up and departure.

Anybody got a working sequence video???

Good stuff Chaz.

Regards

Veritable is right mean "real" in this usage.

I stand corrected, Sir.

Now, about the Fowler. I think one of these locomotives would look excellent in private use on Dock Green (I'm hardly to say anything to the contrary).

We are a multicultural and inclusive lot at Ixion so we took care to have half of the run of Fowlers finished in a plain green livery to satisfy the aspirations, desires and needs of those who are not of the GWR persuasion. We welcome modellers of all faiths or none, including the Eastern Region. I may well respray with black paint one of the plain versions and replace the oil lamp with a different fitting before applying some gentle weathering.

I'm inclined to agree, Mr Klein. Now how about spraying a second one black for me?   I think plain black with red buffer beam, coupling rods and nameplate....CHOICE!

. Provided it's well organised (all the bolts in labelled boxes, socket wrenches colour coded, all the stock in cassettes that double as carrying cases etc etc) it's pretty straightforward to build and to dismantle.

Chaz

So that's were we're going wrong with our layout, all the bolts and screws in one box, a pair of pliers instead of socket wrenches and the stock in a variety of Bachmann/Hornby/Heljan etc boxes!

Seems we also need to grow beards!

Saw the layout on Sunday - was mightily impressed.

Edited by mike knowles

Anybody got a working sequence video???

Good stuff Chaz.

Regards

Thanks for the comment. A complete sequence? That would take some time, I think we only completed two and a half on Saturday.

OK Thanks for info. That's a shame, but then they are wrong anyway, being 2 rows of grilles rather than one

attachicon.gif9343822898_bda23a4dd6_z.jpg

Rgds Andrew Jones

Luton MRC

Andrew,

I am moving my reply to the Ixion thread to stop interrupting the dock Green correspondence. Please go to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78328-ixion-0-gauge-fowler-diesel-loco/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1238311

Regards,

Chris

So that's were we're going wrong with our layout, all the bolts and screws in one box, a pair of pliers instead of socket wrenches and the stock in a variety of Bachmann/Hornby/Heljan etc boxes!

Seems we also need to grow beards!

Saw the layout on Sunday - was mightily impressed.

So that's were we're going wrong with our layout, all the bolts and screws in one box, a pair of pliers instead of socket wrenches and the stock in a variety of Bachmann/Hornby/Heljan etc boxes!   You may mock :nono:  but I for one have had enough of "Anybody seen the...."  - "Oi....there aren't enough of these screws, nuts, floggle-toggles etc etc" - "Erm... this one doesn't fit" - "Is this supposed to go here?"   :jester:  Seriously, when you are putting up a layout you want everything to go smoothly. When you break it down you want to put everything away so that the next time you put it up everything goes smoothly, again..

Saw the layout on Sunday - was mightily impressed   Thank you Mike. I took the same care over the invisible stuff (wiring, frames, legs etc etc) as I did over the scenic stuff and the rolling stock - and yes, over the storage etc. I bought a few lunch-box style boxes in Poundland. I didn't just label the lids, I put a label in the bottom of the box as well - it makes it easy to put the lids back on the right boxes. It can look like the anoraks have taken over but when you are building or breaking it really pays off.

Beards?   Entirely optional (I've had one since I was twenty - shaved it off once but was threatened with all manner of retribution by SWMBO :threaten:  )

Edited by chaz

A few more snaps of DG at the NEC... (captions below pics)

P1030262-2_zps5accbfad.jpg

One of the nice views from the operators' side. The van is an ex-GNR horse-box, built from the excellent D & S brass kit.

P1030259-2_zps45fb81ba.jpg

As I'd had no time to get my own collection of crates, packing cases etc ready Dave lent me a load of his. They looked good arranged on the barrows and platform.

IMG_8143-2_zps679f1548.jpg

The camera never lies? I can't possibly have been as fed up as I look in this snap but in fact I'm concentrating on someone's question. This photo highlights the poor quality (and colour) of the NEC lighting which is only there, after all, to make movement around the hall safe. Layouts which don't have their own lighting are at a disadvantage.

IMG_8126-3_zps8c2ab36d.jpg

Oh no, not another stern expression. Sue seems to have a knack for capturing me looking grim. Again I think I'm listening carefully to someone in the crowd.

IMG_8115-2_zps4217462d.jpg

I like this view across the centre baseboard pair where all the points are.

IMG_8116-2_zps75eb9ed3.jpg

Not many layouts are attractive from behind - I thought the best we could aim for was neatness. Acres of plywood with the frames surmounted by the back of the retaining walls. I am round the front of the layout pointing out something to one of the spectators. I did enjoy that role and, as an ex-teacher, it came naturally.

IMG_8133-3_zps53b6f57f.jpg

It was nice to see the full age range watching the action.

IMG_8127-2_zpsc802287c.jpg

Last photo is another shot of that busy centre section. Serious stuff this railway modelling.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 6

IMG_8103-2_zps2f198c54.jpg

This is how the rolling stock travels. On the right are the two cassette carrying thingies (caddies?). Team member Dave designed and made these and excellent they are. Each contains four cassettes, each with four wagons in. On arrival at a show all we need to do is lift out the cassettes, remove the packing foam from each side and they are ready to use. The pile of cassettes on the left contain the locos. I may make something to carry these as well - anything that makes transport easier - particularly when we are going home - has got to be good.

P1030255-2_zps3042d62b.jpg

This last little detail, an enthusiast/photographer, was only added on Saturday morning. I had forgotten I had him and found him in a drawer whilst looking for something else shortly before the show. Like the other figures he has a piece of brass wire superglued into one leg and inserted into a 0.8mm hole. He could be moved around quite easily. Note that he is standing on the legal side of the fence; in 1959 he could probably wander round the yard without being challenged. How many people watching at the show noticed him?

P1030248-2_zps55f4761d.jpg

I'm rather proud of the rail overbridge with its characteristic bridge track. The expanse of pointwork looks quite featureless in this view but it usually has lots of movement as the shunting takes place. This view also highlights where the photographer is standing - he is quite an insignificant detail.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

I didn't realize you would be asking questions later!

Well I am an ex-teacher!   Apart from the photographer there were a few other talking points, Constable Dixon was often noticed, the "girly" calendar, the cobbles and the somersault signal could be pointed out and discussed. And, of course, the locos were a good focus of interest.

Chaz

I think that must the teacher coming out in Chaz again !

Oh, Alan you beat me to it.

A few more photos taken at the NEC by Dave...

DTpic5_zpsd6aecaf5.jpg

The J50/1 seems to have been rather camera shy at the show. The van was built from a Slater's plastic kit, it's an ex-MR survivor.

DTpic1_zps827396c4.jpg

The scene on the bridge.

DTpic2_zps3e5d67ea.jpg

The wagon on the left is the resin bodied one with the integral tarpaulin, the one on the right has a paper tarpaulin. These come ready printed as simple rectangles of some fairly tough paper. I change them into something more resembling a much used tarpaulin by screwing them up into a tight ball and then smoothing them out, several times over.

DTpic6_zps15b0373a.jpg

The van on the canal bridge is from a Parkside kit - it's an LMS all-steel vehicle.

DTpic3_zpsed8757de.jpg

Thank goodness, proof that I can look cheerful when I am operating!

And I think that's probably my last picture from the Warley Show. I hope that noise isn't cheering?

• Like 10

There is so much inspiration for me in these photos Chaz,it's a wonderful piece of modelling.I love it.

Thanks. I might have said this many times before but it's still true - the opinions expressed on forum about DG have been very encouraging and much appreciated.

The model has surprised me - when you are working closely on something and much concerned with the fine detail it's a revelation to put it up at a show. It makes you see it anew, rather as if you are a visitor seeing it for the first time. Obviously being able to see it in its entirety was also a surprise - even though we had put it up in my kitchen a couple ot times to test the operation we were so tight for space that it wasn't possible to really take in the effect.

Chaz