chaz

Oh, quite so Barnaby. If I am totally stumped with a problem I will often ask Sue about it. She has, on occasion, suggested a solution which her detached viewpoint made possible. It doesn't always work of course, but then just the act of explaining the problem to someone else can sometimes sew the seeds of a solution.

Sue has been hugely supportive of my sometimes almost obsessive involvement with railway modelling, and so is commemorated by the name plates on my Peckett 0-4-0ST!

P1030184-2_zps9c113103.jpg

For the same reason the fret of etched name, number and works plates supplied with the Ixion Hudswell Clarke contain the names of the Ixion owners' spouses viz Lorna/Chris Klein, Janine/Lindsay O'Reilly and Elizabeth/Phil Badger. Lorna has told me that her name may only appear on the red version of the Hudswell and that it is to be kept shiny and clean.

• Like 1

Maybe an idea for you; from what I recall of the Southern versions of  these type of barrow, the wooden platforms were almost black through usage & the paint often chipped/flaked.

Yes, of course, and the frames dented, deck timbers split and gouged, etc,etc. However it's worth remembering how small these models are and what a small part of the whole layout they represent. Also relevant is the fact that they will spend their time on the goods platform in the gloom under that canopy - often with a line of vans in front of them! Probably not worth spending too much more time on them?  :nono:

Chaz

For the same reason the fret of etched name, number and works plates supplied with the Ixion Hudswell Clarke contain the names of the Ixion owners' spouses.......Lorna has told me that her name may only appear on the red version of the Hudswell and that it is to be kept shiny and clean.

We can all be on the lookout for transgressers then....

Yes, of course, and the frames dented, deck timbers split and gouged, etc,etc. However it's worth remembering how small these models are and what a small part of the whole layout they represent. Also relevant is the fact that they will spend their time on the goods platform in the gloom under that canopy - often with a line of vans in front of them! Probably not worth spending too much more time on them?  :nono:

Chaz

Fair enough. It's your railway after all. :blackeye: :sorry:  :D :laugh_mini2:

Tip of the day......   (what?!?)   This might be obvious in which case sorry!

Cleaning small brushes with brush cleaner?

Get yourself a ceramic egg-cup (the chemical might attack a plastic one).

Very small quantities of brush cleaner (just enough to cover the hairs) can be poured in.

When it gets too "gungy" wipe it out with a piece of kitchen roll.

Result? - your brush cleaner will last for ages.

Chaz

• Like 1

Good luck at the weekend Chaz.

I'm just off for a long weekend in Paris so won't be able to pop over. Hope everything goes well and see you some point soon.

Steve

Have fun, Steve (and thanks for the good wishes).

Sitting here waiting for Peter and the van. Everything has been rearranged to make loading as easy as possible (big stuff first!). If I check that I haven't forgotten anything one more time Sue has threatened me with strangulation (probably using one of the layout's connecting leads).

EEEKKK!

For last year's Warley show, one of our group left all his stock behind in North Devon and it was his layout!!! DON'T FORGET THE STOCK BOXES Chaz..!!!

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Oh, yes hmmm.....now where.......?

S'OK Paul, the stock is already in the cassettes, which are in the cassette carriers. Which are..... enough, already. No if I have forgotten anything it will be something small....maybe one of the Navy Lark's floggle-toggles..... :jester:

Well it was nice to see Dock Green erected in in its full glory at Warley today having only seen it two boards at a time at Chaz's home. It is a superb layout and worth watching just for the working GNR somersault signal. Convincing sound on all the locos and the colouring of the whole layout is harmonious and nicely subdued. The recently painted N7 is a beauty. 

:sungum:Well Dock Green what can one say..........looks good in the photos on RMweb but to be honest do not rarely do it justice.  A real gem this one seems so much wider in real life and the whole layout is well balanced. It was good to meet you in real life sir and your good lady .

Best layout  in show in my humble opinion well done Chaz you should be proud of you efforts.

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed finally being able to see Dock Green after following its development over 46 pages, and it was a real pleasure to meet Chaz and Sue.

Totally agree with all the comments about the quality of the modelling and all the attention to details. I could have spent hours just watching the trains from over the bridge parapet!

Julian

As another Warley attendee I have to agree with the previous comments.  Dock Green really does look even better in the flesh than in photograph form.

Its also bigger than I expected but in this case bigger was better.  Seeing all the little items of detail that has been built up on here was fabulous.

Well done Chaz, stunning

Well it was nice to see Dock Green erected in in its full glory at Warley today having only seen it two boards at a time at Chaz's home. It is a superb layout and worth watching just for the working GNR somersault signal. Convincing sound on all the locos and the colouring of the whole layout is harmonious and nicely subdued. The recently painted N7 is a beauty. 

Thank you Chris. Valued comments which I appreciate.

I certainly did the right thing when took off the rather mudane UQ timber post and replaced it with the somersault! And yes the N7 is very nice and the paint job is well worth the money. Must do something about the spring on the pony truck which showed itself not up to the job.

Chaz

Dock Green is a good in the flesh as the photos on here. Very much captures the feeling of London's railways.

Don

Thank you Don. London's railways was the look I wanted - I think the retaining walls do quite a lot of the work...

Seeing all the boards together and the overall effect was great. It is a beautiful and inspriational layout. If you are going on Sunday make sure you take a good look.

Leigh

Thank you Leigh. It was really the first time I got the chance to see the overall effect. I was pleased!

There were a few problems with the operating which will be sorted before our outing at Basingstoke in March.

:sungum:Well Dock Green what can one say..........looks good in the photos on RMweb but to be honest do not rarely do it justice.  A real gem this one seems so much wider in real life and the whole layout is well balanced. It was good to meet you in real life sir and your good lady .

Best layout  in show in my humble opinion well done Chaz you should be proud of you efforts.

Difficult to think what to say to this except thanks. A number of people told me over the weekend that they thought it was the best layout in the show but I thought maybe the Corris layouts....

Sue enjoyed her role although I coudn't persuade her to take a  controller. She had agreed to be the emergency substitute and spent Saturday hoping that no-one strained a fetlock....