Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

6100s. The large Prairies were mainstays of the suburban services in the area. Typically they ran with 3-5 coach trains of ex-GWR suburban stock although I have seen photos of up to 8. This stock is not available RTR but kits are available from Comet. I do not know if BR Mk1 suburbans ever worked the line. Some did work out of Paddington but I have not seen any photos of them on the branch. They also worked some mixed goods.

I have found a photo from 1961 of a train of mixed BR Mk1 and ex-GWR suburban stock in lined maroon. So if you do not fancy kit-building rakes of coaches, you can justify the Bachmann Mk1 suburbans.

The photo shows a 5-coach train on a Maidenheada to High Wycombe srevice. It is behind a large priaire which looks like it has a GUV at the end (although it is hard to identify the last vehicle exactly).

Edited by Karhedron

HI

And welcome to RMweb ,you could not be in a better place!.

I do like what you have done here and i very much like the station building your Dad has made spot on.

My Nan used to live in Thame and had a liking for this part of the world (Maybe one day i will build Thame Station)

You and your Dad have done a grand job on getting the look of the line an i will be following this one.

keep up the good work!

Darren

HI

And welcome to RMweb ,you could not be in a better place!.

I do like what you have done here and i very much like the station building your Dad has made spot on.

My Nan used to live in Thame and had a liking for this part of the world (Maybe one day i will build Thame Station)

You and your Dad have done a grand job on getting the look of the line an i will be following this one.

keep up the good work!

Darren

Thank you,

Thame would make a great layout, its a shame they knocked it down a few years ago.

There will be more pics up once it is set up again, hopefully with signals starting to appear !

Full marks for a well presented layout, I stayed with a friend who moved to a new house about 1/2 mile from the station we always played around the railway bridge on the Wycombe side as we could access the embankment which backed onto my friends back garden it was about the time they started to rip up the track it,s brought some back fond memories thank for that.

regards 81C

Thanks,

there is still a bridge there in that direction so it could of well been that one. Ive taken some photos of it so it can become the scenic break at that end of the layout. It will be considerably closer to the station than the real thing was though.

Glad it brought back some memories for you, it means were doing something right !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh, but a lot of RMWebbers seem to have lived near this line! I moved to a house in Bay Tree Close (about half a mile up Kingsmead Road towards High Wycombe) in the spring of 1967, just before my fourth birthday. I don't remember seeing any trains running across the end of the street (although that's where the line was, so they must have done so), but I do remember walking to Loudwater station most weeks with my Ma and sister to catch the train to visit my Gran in Monk's Risborough (a journey of about 10 miles that required changes at Wycombe and Prince's Risborough). I lived there for about five years before we moved to a house on the other side of Wycombe.

Jim

I can't resist commenting on this site and the photographs around Bourne End.

As a Maidonian I recall the big dip in the roadway of the level crossing in the late 50s-early 60s. Inspection of the 3rd picture from last will show what I mean, note the repairs. The dip had become a pothole at one time, I owned an MGA convertible, BMC B series engine, springs?, cross-ply tyres, original condition, no rust!, capable (just) of 100 down the hills into Marlow.

Bourne End crossing was on the back route to Mhd, but not on the outward as the pothole was a deterrent after a few shattering journeys. Bucks CC came in for some commentary of an unfavourable kind, although with hindsight the roadway might have been the responsibility of BR.

The crossing was often closed as we went to the pubs in Marlow and Cookham and the wait for the gates to open seemd to be an age, so we detaured around the local triangle rather than wait.

Memories

TheAlchemist

A couple of photos of recent work on the layout. The main thing is the 2 platform starters are in. They were round post towards the 60's but earlier pics show square ones. As i hate building signals 2 Dapol ones have been used for the time being. The calling on arm still needs added to the Treadaway hill end signal at the mo. post-14728-0-88608200-1343406852_thumb.jpgpost-14728-0-19674500-1343407056_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much to update im affraid layout wise , as mentioned above Loudwater attended Risex on 23rd Feb. We got the call a week before the exhibition and had a mad week getting the layout as presentable as possible. Running problems appeared now and then throughout the day , due mainly i think to the damp garage that it has been stored in for months. Those who did take a look during one of the 'lull's' i appoligise for the lack of activity.
I didn't get a chance to take many pictures during the day but here is one of the better ones.
Lion rumbles through on her way back to Paddington with a diverted test train.

Not much to update im affraid layout wise , as mentioned above Loudwater attended Risex on 23rd Feb. We got the call a week before the exhibition and had a mad week getting the layout as presentable as possible. Running problems appeared now and then throughout the day , due mainly i think to the damp garage that it has been stored in for months. Those who did take a look during one of the 'lull's' i appoligise for the lack of activity.

I didn't get a chance to take many pictures during the day but here is one of the better ones.

Lion rumbles through on her way back to Paddington with a diverted test train.

post-14728-0-70119700-1363300655_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It was nice to finally meet you and see the layout in the flesh, photo's here on this web are always nice to see but it doesn't beat actually seeing the trains running on the layout thanks for the time you spared for a chat.

Regards 81C

Like wise, thanks for taking the time to come and see the layout, it ran pretty well most of the day. The trouble with such a big layout like that is that it only ever gets operated at an exhibition and its always a bit of a worry if it will run or not on the day !

Luckily any problems we had were sorted early on.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just had a look through and as Andy Y said a long time ago; what a super first post, all the rest are brilliant as well, some great photography, who took the pics for MR?

I don't normally buy it but I will next Month.

Bodge.