coachmann

Stupendously fast work coach!

All I've achieved today is to rake out some loose mortar from the garage wall (I've decided to fix the issues with the garage itself before carrying on with the railway)

• RMweb Gold

The C+L has a larger representation of the chair plus the rail is held fractionally higher in the chairs than SMP, useful if marrying this track to Peco Code 75 points.

Not a lot going on as its rather hot!  Part of the baseboard has been cut away to leave McArdles factory sidings atop an embankment. I think it will look better than on a flat baseboard........

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield Scenics 1.jpg

Also the duck-under now has an extra 3 inches clearance by replacing the underframe with an overframe. It looks a bit over-engineered but I lean on it like a bar. Besides the frame will be covered by embankment in due course......

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield Scenics 2.jpg

Thanks Larry, I've just redesigned the duck-under board I was going to build before it rained this morning.

Guest bri.s

The backscene is great , perfect even . The layouts really getting there now .

Well done keep up the good work .

Brian

Greenfield is looking greener........The curve by the doorway with a little bit of Wales in the background.......

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield scenics 14.jpg

About 12 feet of scenery was done today. The path leading down to the Oldham platform was reinstated although it is shorter and narrower this time......... 

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield scenics 11.jpg

The water tank is tight up against the backscene and so a little kidology was used to wrap an embankment around it.....

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield scenics 12.jpg

A path from the underpass up to the bridge has yet to be added......... 

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield scenics 13.jpg

Coachman

Lovely piece of modelling, had a chat with someone from RMweb at Railex and he did wonder if the track would still be in place by the end of the weekend. Must say looking very good

• RMweb Gold

Love the backscene....

We know you know about backscenes, Richard. If anyone ever doubts how effective the commercial prints can be, in the right location, blending with the right layout in front, then your installations should give them food for thought. And what Larry has done in that picture is exactly the same thing. Delightful!

Lovely piece of modelling, had a chat with someone from RMweb at Railex and he did wonder if the track would still be in place by the end of the weekend. Must say looking very good

That's a reputation I live with now but it is symptomatic of how I do things. Getting there (to Greenfield) has been less than straightforward and it took time to discover that a combination of compromises and downright lies was the only way to get something 'satisfactory'. With the things I have learned along the way, I'll bet I could built a fictitious branchline terminus in next to no time now! 

Ben, I chuckled when I read 'I love the backscene'.....Wot backscene..... pale blue paint ha ha...?  :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

... simply dropped a bit of Roman Bridge ...

Simply dropped has to be a bit of an understatement. That backdrop, even if added post production, made a spectacular picture. I have to admit I was under the illusion!

In your recent post, you showed a shot of the model and the real thing. When I looked at the post on my iPhone the images are quite small and it is difficult to tell which is the model. What I did notice is the footbridge in the 'real' picture. Is that something you will be adding? Excuse the comment/question if it's already been answered.

In your recent post, you showed a shot of the model and the real thing. When I looked at the post on my iPhone the images are quite small and it is difficult to tell which is the model. What I did notice is the footbridge in the 'real' picture. Is that something you will be adding? Excuse the comment/question if it's already been answered.

Larry is modeling it when the underpass was still in use so No foot bridge needed as it was not there

Hi Larry.

Good to see recent progress. The C&L track really does look much better. In fact, it's quite hard to tell what gauge it is - I wonder if my locos would fit?

For what it's worth, I think no back scene is the best solution. Painted or photo scenes generally only look right form on viewing position due to perspective issues, although vague distant hill views might be OK in that respect.

Dave.

The problem with the back scene for the works is the missing back part of the factory. Can you draw it in?

It cannot be seen by visitors from that angle so it isn't really a problem. Nevertheless I have considered planting a tree beside it on the other side.

How come the works siding is super-elevated, but not the main line?  Some hight speed shunting going on?

The branch is super-elevated due to its sharp curvature. Track-laying was kept simple this time around but when it came to laying the branch I was in the mood for indulgence!  :)

Thanks for the likes on post 1779, but as there are images of a backscene and also no backscene, which ones are you gents liking please......I'd like to tot up the score for and against that little piece of backscene above the station. :gamer:

I preferred the backscene option, but then I like these things! Mickey is right about this though, and only you can decide what you want. This is part of the problem of posting images up- what is OK to the eye when operating can look wrong on screen, and vice versa. I rarely really take note of my backscenes when running the layout, concentrating on the stock and track, and often find the boards a nuisance if I have to get to the running line behind them, although they are removeable. However, esp. at Helmsdale, I think the backscene sets the place, although I am now illustrating it with composed shots of a more or less finished job, so any angles where it doesn't work so well can be ignored.

• RMweb Premium

Personally I think it looks better with something in the background, as the surrounding scenery was hilly and would have shown itself above the skyline - its not like Little Bytham or Peterborough North where they can 'shop in just skies 'cos they're basically on flat plains; Greenfield needs more IMO...

I found a backdrop of stitched-together photos of the actual area worked well on Prestatyn; maybe something similar might work here now the track layout has been finalised...?

It's looking really good with the new embankments and scenic 'spread' - can't be long before the first trains surely?

David

• RMweb Gold

Do you want the back scene to work for photos OR for running sessions?

You will sit (lean!) in your shed much more than you will look at your layout in photographs, (although photos are an important goal IMO).

Back scene post processing of photos will probably happen either way, so my vote is for a back scene to be added.
As has already been pointed out you don't really notice back scenes, if they are there, when running but photos can be are cruel!

Kev.

I like some kind of back scene, mainly to stop the eye wandering off the layout.  Even if it is just a white or pale blue plain sheet.  There are some modellers in the US who can blend in a picture of a road going off into the distance into the foreground so well that if you look straight on you can't see the join.  However from the wrong angle it looks crazy.  They get round that problem by creative view blocking structures.  That is one extreme, the other is the use of 'stock' proprietary sheets, in my opinion your layout then looks like Pecoville (not in any way knocking Peco, they have made a massive, and much appreciated, contribution to the hobby)

So after all that rambling on I think a backscene of some kind, erring towards the misty background so it's not to 'in your face' just there when you need it.

Archived