coachmann

Crikey Larry, The Ends are Alive to the Sound of Steamers, as the song goes, well similar anyway, the two ends do look stunning and with so many photo opportunities open to you we should see some cracking pics over the coming Months.

Looking Through The Key Hole to daylight outside is just so natural and will give some great shots in the early evening sun.

Just loving it, and as you say, roundy roundy predominantly in the shed has worked so well.

All the best,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Coach, you have not just modelled Greenfield station brilliantly, you have also added the “look” and “feel” of the “Standedge route” with your bridges on curves.
Your description of “clinging to the hillside” really does sum up the Diggle route over the Peninnes.
I don't think there is a level bit of straight track between Stalybridge and Standedge Tunnel.

I took this shot yesterday in Heyrod. (Between Mossley and Stalybridge.)
The (poor) shot is looking north and in between the trees you can see 'the Hill' on which Greenfield Station clings to.

post-12815-0-32385900-1401608730_thumb.jpg

As you can see, tight curves and odd shaped bridges!
Incidentally, I have heard a rumour that this bridge is due for demolition as the owner didn't want to stump up the £60 grand that Network Rail wanted to modify it for the imminent electrification. As I say, just a rumour...

As for the cottages with no front door. I would keep it that way.
Every building has its own history and not having front doors fits in so well with the 'strong' local tradition of only ever using back doors.
Besides, it just looks so good as it is. :)

Kev.

The shot by SHMD sums up the line today....trains running between curtains of trees. It wasn't anything like this in steam days and one hopes some land clearance will take place during electrification. It seems the benefits of rail travel, that of watching the passing landscape,  have been lost to operators.

I like the use of the Wills concrete blcoks for the cottages....some of the mid-Victorian houses round here are very similar sized stone; the latter ones are more "brick sized".

What is origin of the dry stone wall below the cottages, with the broken gate leaned against it?

If I'm not mistaken, Mickey, it looks like the Hornby Skaledale walling system.

I like the use of the Wills concrete blcoks for the cottages....some of the mid-Victorian houses round here are very similar sized stone; the latter ones are more "brick sized".

What is origin of the dry stone wall below the cottages, with the broken gate leaned against it?

Fairburn has it....It's Hornby Skaledale. It is not cheap but it works out cheap when it can be used over and over again. I don't think there is anything else on the market to touch it. A boatload of it was chiselled off a piece of wood that had once served as a pathway on a previous layout, and it now (today) resides on the main road past the station.

I am working my way down the 'straight' over the road bridge and down past the station. Land beside the signal box will follow but anything that doesn't get done today will have to wait a while as I'm back coach building from tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

I'm back coach building from tomorrow.

Wot you buildin' now Coach? Really miss your old coach website and I may have a few pennies tucked away for a Goddard model.

• RMweb Premium

It reminds me of the Railway Children house so maybe some fencing and three kiddies will appear one day! It was built from Wills SSMP230 Concrete Blocks(!) which happen to be the closest to the stone blocks used in old houses around Greenfield.... 

Do it, do it!!  But beware the cliché police .......

Wot you buildin' now Coach? Really miss your old coach website and I may have a few pennies tucked away for a Goddard model.

Something rather more modern this time Jonathan...... A Stanier D1904 open Third. The etches have been in since March but production was delayed while I worked 'back stage'' organising new fittings from a different source. This coach will not now be advertised (a couple of regulars know of it's existence and filled the order book), but another Stanier type of open third will follow afterwards. I anticipate normal service to be resumed in the autumn. 

coachmann, on 31 May 2014 - 23:20, said:

A bit of kidoligy here as the pale green patch above the Tender in in reality stained wood. Colouring it on computer helps enormously as I now know it needs painting matt green in order to give some continuity to pictures taken through the open doorway....

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield scenics 37.jpg

Would it not be better to cover the pale green patch in the texture grass and flock you have used for the rest of the layout instead of paint it.  This would give a better background for photographs taken from the door.   

Would it not be better to cover the pale green patch in the texture grass and flock you have used for the rest of the layout instead of paint it.  This would give a better background for photographs taken from the door.   

I did this on the previous Greenfield by gluing a sheet of ready grass to the plywood, but it faded over time and looked a mess. If that side panel was removable I would glue scatter to it while flat. The best I can do now is paint it. :)

Rapidly going from good to fantastic. Love your eye for detail. It's no mean feat to portray the atmosphere of  Greenfield in a relatively small space. It so fits the photographs of the prototype. Love it! 

Coach.

Lovely to see a classy photograph of another of your masterpieces once again. But it's in the wrong thread - hint, hint...

The layout's looking stonkinger (my word) every time I see it, by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Lovely pics. I remember the Christmas of 81 - I was just down (or is it up) the line in Lees and had got a bike for Christmas, but had to wait until the snow had cleared to go out on it

Yes! I lived in Uppermill at the time, and I remember my car didn't move for over a week, due to it being snowed in.

Approaching Greenfield from the east, there was a single arm stop signal at the end of Saddleworth viaduct, a splitting bracket home signal just before the station road bridge and a similar signal at the end of the Up platform covering the mainline and the branch. The only other Up signal was the starter near the water tower at the Oldham end of the bay platform.

Wasn't the first bracket nearer Moorgate Halt? The single -arm stop, and probably that bracket, were Delph Junction's, surely. The base of the box and the operating floor were still intact at least as late as 1969

• RMweb Premium

PGH of this parish kindly loaned me his portable compressor and airbrush today so that I might spray matt varnish on the glossy plastic road surface and old walls. As I'm used to using a spraygun, the little airbrush took a little while to get used to. Anyway, it did the job nicely. Before spraying the road, an hour was spent cleaning the surface (I didnt like the earlier results), erecting fencing in the coal yard entrance, then the lamp posts and finally grass in the various sundry gaps......

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield scenics A.jpg

I ran out of etched 'spear' fencing and so have erected Ratio on the corner. The wall was missing when I was a lad, so no doubt the fencing was painted white as a blackout precaution. The bushes behind it are modellers licence! They are there today but were not in the 1950's. This view shows there is something to be said for a printed backscene BELOW the baseboard behind the bus......  :smoke:

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield scenics B.jpg

An all-Leyland Farington bodied PD2 new to Oldham Corporation in 1952 en route to Uppermill and Delph on route 14.....

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield scenics C.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield scenics D.jpg

Larry 

is that a Jowett Javelin in the road of the bus?

If it is I saw its full size version on a trailer in Murray Bridge Australia in March this year. Still going strong - it was off to be tested before going to the Jowett meeting in Hobart... Thats a long way from its Bradford birthplace..

Baz

Archived