coachmann

Thanks guys for taking the trouble to give your views. As a result I have decided to leave the backscene over the station. Fortunately it is a decent match for the Woodlands scatter while the more distance greyish-blue backscenes suit each end of the layout to create distance. New additions to ID Backscenes are occasionally added and so I might find a suitable close up of a grassy hillside one day.

Having street-Googled Greenfield recently, it is unrecognisable today with curtains of trees everywhere.  Young people would be in for a big surprise if they could time-machine themselves back 60 years and see this countries railway lines as they were.....Open with virtually tree-less embankments. 

• RMweb Gold

That whole scene is brilliant! The multiple layers make a massive difference, it makes the whole picture leap out. As for the wall... well at the moment it's glistening as the sun breaks through the clouds after a heavy shower of rain!

Neil

Not a pleasant day for outdoor activities but I did finish the embankment east of the station. Both sides had/have low retaining walls and a space had to be left in the ash cess for an outer home (is that what its called?) bracket signal.....

post-6680-0-21266400-1401305146.jpg

At the west end, a left-hand drive 4F approaches the station with fitted vans. Telegraph poles were installed today.....

post-6680-0-49645300-1401305144.jpg

Swinging round, the goods train has cleared the station. Telegraph poles can be seen plus one to the good shed office........

post-6680-0-97350100-1401305142.jpg

Telegraph poles continue around the new cutting......

post-6680-0-36560200-1401305141.jpg

....and finally a view from the road bridge on this wet day. The LH hillside is rather bald at the moment as I've run out of scatter.....

post-6680-0-71778200-1401305138.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Not a pleasant day for outdoor activities but I did finish the embankment east of the station. Both sides had/have low retaining walls and a space had to be left in the ash cess for an outer home (is that what its called?) bracket signal.....

LMR I do believe - so therefore it would be Home Signal 1, not really far enough out to be an Outer Home I suspect.

• RMweb Gold

LMR I do believe - so therefore it would be Home Signal 1, not really far enough out to be an Outer Home I suspect.

Depends how many stop signals there are. For a simple section the signals would normally be named Home 1, Home 2, etc, with the final one being the Starting Signal.

Depends how many stop signals there are. For a simple section the signals would normally be named Home 1, Home 2, etc, with the final one being the Starting Signal.

Approaching Greenfield from the east, there was a single arm stop signal at the end of Saddleworth viaduct, a splitting bracket home signal just before the station road bridge and a similar signal at the end of the Up platform covering the mainline and the branch. The only other Up signal was the starter near the water tower at the Oldham end of the bay platform.

If any readers are concerned about slow progress on their layouts - go back to Page 69 and look at where Larry was up to on the 12th May just over 2 weeks ago - and weep!  If ever there was an example of the benefits of just getting on with it, this is it.  Thank you Larry, this is great stuff.

• RMweb Gold

If those photos were in B&W you'd be hard pressed to say in was not the real thing, breath-taking Larry. I didn't know landscape sheet material could look so convincing and much less messy than plaster. Must give it a go.

If those photos were in B&W you'd be hard pressed to say in was not the real thing, breath-taking Larry. I didn't know landscape sheet material could look so convincing and much less messy than plaster. Must give it a go.

I had been too busy painting & lining to bother with a model railway and so when I first considered building my first layout in 40-odd years I could only think in terms of plaster of Paris and wound dressings. Then I saw a review of the vinyl grass in either Model Rail or BRM and immediately ordered some. It is speedy, light, non-messy and easily moulded to whatever area needs filling...............The heat gun and protective glove are essential. The grass benefits from additional scatter afterwards, as otherwise it looks like a golf course. 

Seeing as I am sat here waiting for Evostick to go off while making the very final hillside, I may as well add that Greenfield isn't in name only and that it is indeed a green field covered these days by what can only be described a afforestation! And so because of the mention of plaster, I am mindful of the mess that would have ensued had I used this stuff. This final hill is using up all the odd remnants of 'Ready Grass' and in its bare form resembles a patchwork quilt, but the main thing is it can be done this way with Evostik and PVA plus of course some heat.

• RMweb Premium

It is good to see the layout coming together Coach - not far to go then you can operate it... will look nice with the Fowler 2-6-2T and a rake of coaches....

It is good to see the layout coming together Coach - not far to go then you can operate it... will look nice with the Fowler 2-6-2T and a rake of coaches....

It is heading that way Barry. Mainline double-headed expresses where the length of run is severely limited are going to look a bit naff at Greenfield, so I'm looking forward to running goods and stopping passenger trains and just sitting soaking up the detail and atmosphere.

When we got married in 1961, we viewed a house near Mossley that backed onto the railway. An Austerity clanked past on empties while we were looking at the back bedroom....great!  It would have been a hopeless location on most counts but driving back we kept pace with an express (Jubilee & Black Five) clinging to the hillside high above the road while labouring up to Standedge.......... Images to recreate when the wiring's done.

• RMweb Premium

It is heading that way Barry. Mainline double-headed expresses where the length of run is severely limited are going to look a bit naff at Greenfield, so I'm looking forward to running goods and stopping passenger trains and just sitting soaking up the detail and atmosphere.

When we got married in 1961, we viewed a house near Mossley that backed onto the railway. An Austerity clanked past on empties while we were looking at the back bedroom....great!  It would have been a hopeless location on most counts but driving back we kept pace with an express (Jubilee & Black Five) clinging to the hillside high above the road while labouring up to Standedge.......... Images to recreate when the wiring's done.

Sounds good to me.   I can only remember WDs, 9F and Q6s storming out of our pit... very scary when it was dark and I was 6 years old!

Its great to get trains running and then the world is a much calmer place...

Lovely pics. I remember the Christmas of 81 - I was just down (or is it up) the line in Lees and had got a bike for Christmas, but had to wait until the snow had cleared to go out on it

Just catching up with the last few days. This is really coming alive now. Looking at the layout and your photo's of the real thing, I think you have really captured the flavour of Greenfield. You've also given me a few pointers at the way to go with the scenics on my replacement for Tolmouth.

edit. My bleedin' spellcheck has reset to American spelling.

Hi Larry, I've been off line for a week with the House move and no Internet and was almost frightened to look and see what was new, or not, but I'm please to report that I'm more than pleasantly surprised with the work you've put in, it looks the Dogs ****.

That bridge looks perfect for a bus .....  :no:

On that grassy slope, I certainly wouldn't fancy driving a bus up or down it.  :biggrin_mini2:  The Standedge line from Stalybridge follows a course mostly on a ledge above the valley floor as far as Diggle and its construction cuts through farmland, hence the high number of such bridges to allow farmers to get their livestock into and out of their land.

A bit more done in this luverly afternoon. An attempt was made to emulate cattle ruts in the soil on the bridge. Some fencing and a partial backscene was also added. Considering the bridge was merely a scenic break, this corner has taken on a life of its own.....

post-6680-0-43589700-1401551013.jpg

Waste not want not.....The 3-storey railway cottages that used to be on the top road above the station were cut down a storey today for re-use elsewhere. Various locations were tried but I think it will settle here on the lane to the factory........

post-6680-0-46544900-1401551016.jpg

It reminds me of the Railway Children house so maybe some fencing and three kiddies will appear one day! It was built from Wills SSMP230 Concrete Blocks(!) which happen to be the closest to the stone blocks used in old houses around Greenfield.... 

post-6680-0-80564900-1401551018.jpg

Archived