coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Just to go back slightly the house I was born in didn't have a front door and neither did the rest of the terrace, they were 2 up 2 down miners cottages, toilets across the yard cheaper to build with just one door.

Tasty work there Coachman and the "Piddle Puddle" looks right too. 

I'll have to have a read back through your wall posts as I have some to make along the back of my layout and yours look very good.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I know you've spent some time debating backscenes but your last two pictures in post #1890 (the first of the model, the second of the prototype) show that for many photos you may not actually need any backscene in order to replicate the prototype perfectly. Nothing of the hillside is seen from the level that the prototype photo is taken.

Having said that, in comparing the two I rather think that the prototype would benefit from the backscene to better represent the stunning model that you have created!

Regards, Neil

I know you've spent some time debating backscenes but your last two pictures in post #1890 (the first of the model, the second of the prototype) show that for many photos you may not actually need any backscene in order to replicate the prototype perfectly. Nothing of the hillside is seen from the level that the prototype photo is taken.

Having said that, in comparing the two I rather think that the prototype would benefit from the backscene to better represent the stunning model that you have created!

Regards, Neil

The view across the road bridge didn't look correct without some representation of a hillside and so I kept cutting the backscene down until I considered there was just enough on show. I've never done a whole layout before although some have come close to completion before the phantom saw merchant got to work. Maybe there is a clue there......................... I like building layouts! :spiteful:

• RMweb Gold

I very much agree with your take on the view across the bridge. From most of your photos it's clear that the backscene very much enhances the picture and I like the way you've cut it down to use pieces here and there where they make a difference. I just happened to note that in that particular picture, a grey sheet of papaer would have matched the prototype!

Although I've only just started contributing, I have read your threads through completely, and seen the layouts going up then coming down. Doing what you like is always the best thing... but I (and many others) would be gutted to see this iteration make way for more building! I think if you feel the need to build again then you should start with building a second shed ;)

Liking the compulsory 'bus on the bridge'..........

but wait, where's it gone by pic 3 above?

Buses on the bridge catch the light from the shed windows and burn out when photos are taken. But to be honest I had forgotten a similar image was posted recently.

Without flash the station would look black. On the real thing, the first building to be demolished was the goods shed. This alone allowed much more light onto the station. Then the platform canopies followed and finally the station buildings. Some ten years elapsed before a footbridge was erected and the subway closed. At this point the retaining walls were cleaned.

Thanks for the explanation, but I was really just tongue in cheek referring to the hackneyed cameo of a 'bus on a bridge'  - apologies if my 'humour' missed it's target.

I think if you feel the need to build again then you should start with building a second shed ;)

Preferably one that is slightly larger so that we can get to see even more of your brilliant work..............

For some time I have admired Tony Wright's layout and another whose names escapes me, both of which feature main lines where spectators watch passing trains. And so I will give Greenfield a year before dismantling.

A new 00 gauge layout has already been designed on paper covering a section of line that I know well just down from Greenfield station. In fact the scenic section will commence at the bridge over Greenfield station and proceed around a LH curve down to Moorgate Halt and Delph Junction. Only two points and a diamond will be required.

The Delph branch will curve away from the mainline within the shed to the hidden sidings while the mainline carries on through the shed wall over Saddleworth Viaduct and loops back to hidden sidings. Only a short length of the viaduct walls will be represented before the line exits the shed wall, and the outside shelf will be extended by 18" to accommodate the whole half-loop. The only question at the moment is the lid, which needs to be lightweight clear plastic top and three sides (3' X 6' X 6" deep)

The present baseboard width will be retained so that the tracks will be some distance from the back screens. I feel this is necessary in order to create the distant village of Uppermill, which is well below the railway, on a backscene ala the Black Country Blues layout. Whether photography of this scene is possible now is a moot point considering the amount of tree growth in the past decade or so.

And so I will give Greenfield a year before dismantling.

Crumbs, as long as that?  I thought you'd give it a month and then start over... :)

In the time you've built at least three versions of Greenfield, I've got by baseboards finished.  They're nice boards, mind!  So I'm definitely catching up....

• RMweb Premium

Seems a shame that it will have such a short life. I'd love to give it a home when your done, but sadly I haven't the room....

Anyway, I shall enjoy it as long as this thread survives!

Andy G

Seems a shame that it will have such a short life. I'd love to give it a home when your done, but sadly I haven't the room....

Anyway, I shall enjoy it as long as this thread survives!

Andy G

I'll start a new thread for Delph Junction, as I'll be glad to get away from this thread with all the fresh starts.....It must drive new readers mad!

• RMweb Gold

Coach,

Yesterday there was a “scrub” clearing team at work just north of Stalybridge Tunnel.
They've got their work cut out as as you say the line is two curtains of trees and bush.
(Maybe we should import some Sumatran or Amazon locals as they know how to deforest!)
I think it maybe in preparation for the immanent electrification or it could be the annual leaves on the line slip slidey prevention effort.

But would photographing Greenfield now be of any use?
The Mills, Micklehurst loop, the grime have all gone and have been replaced with Tescos, Parks and houses upon houses!

But if that dosn't matter, (having the back scene in the background and slightly out of focus, etc), then getting the required photo should not be a problem, (even with the trees there), as all you have to do is 'climb' a little bit up Wharmton Hill.
Ladcastle Road should do.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

The wider platform looks great, and makes the scene even closer to the prototype picture from earlier. But I'd keep the canopy you have left, it adds a lot of character (which does include some gloom) to the station that I think would be missed if it was to go. I personally miss the Up canopy but I agree that you need to have some light in there to see what's going on.

Larry, To me the simplicity of the design and standard of finish - rate this layout layout as among the best on rmweb. A great example of what can be achieved! Thanks for posting

Archived