Changes In Cement Traffic Flows

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

I found (another) youtube video which will hopefully be of use. It shows a 66 and cement train in the Moorswater complex. Never realised how much operating could be incorporated into a model of the location.

Hi Shane

Thanks for putting a link in for this video......Excellent

My Nephew & I saw the train at Moorswater once 0n 21 feb 2006.

The loco had obviously finished it's shunting for the day as we waited for a while & nothing happened.

We walked back to Liskeard station via Coombe & were able to watch it come into Likeard by the Cornwall Farmers depot.

Then saw it leave, at that time for Earles Sidings I think.

A couple of pics, the weather was dull & at that time I only had a cheap digital camera, so the quality isn't brilliant......But it is a reminder....

post-7844-0-40630400-1341345040_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-63377500-1341345295_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-48849300-1341345397_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-85738600-1341345562_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-74224900-1341345718_thumb.jpg

When the train was too long to be run around at Liskeard it ran around at Par, which we once saw.....But thats another story...

Hope you like

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

Firstly thanks to Jerry for highlighting this thread which I had missed.

Thanks for starting this thread Shane...I think I may have seen that vid before but am always happy to see all things Moorswater :D

Although my model is set in the late 70's I know have all the stock to represent that video so perhaps I will try to recreate it one day...

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

John Vaughan dropped me a mail to note that today was probably the last working of the cement train to Moorswater :O

Apparently, Tarmac are taking over Lafarge's Cornish operations and will supply Moorswater by road from the Plymouth depot from now on.

Sad news for the future of the line once again...:(

I've made some initial enquiries at work, and we have no knowledge of this...

It's on a couple of other local rail sites. Presumably the cement will be coming to Plymouth by sea then road hauled to Moorswater? (If this is the case then is Moorswater needed at all?) This service has been a bit start/stop so has never been an entirely rail only operation.

• RMweb Gold

Any further news as to what may be happening re this Tarmac Takeover?

Do Tarmac make their own cement, and if not, where will it be coming from?

Not good news whatever way as regards Moorswater though

Nothing necessarily happening particularly quickly, something is afoot but situation not as clear cut as first advised...

Any further news as to what may be happening re this Tarmac Takeover?

Do Tarmac make their own cement, and if not, where will it be coming from?

Not good news whatever way as regards Moorswater though

The original report report stated Moorswater would be supplied from Plymouth by road. This led to my suggestion it might be coming to Plymouth by sea. If it were coming by rail then you'd assume it could continue to Moorswater as at present or require a new terminal (Marsh Mills?) If it were coming to Plymouth by road would there be a need to keep a depot in Plymouth and Moorswater? AFAIK there is no cement manufacturing in Plymouth (since Plymstock closed and Moorswater was set up) so there will still be need for it to be sent down somehow whoever runs the operation.

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK there is no cement manufacturing in Plymouth (since Plymstock closed and Moorswater was set up) so there will still be need for it to be sent down somehow whoever runs the operation.

This is absolutely correct, the situation is 'fluid' at the moment, so let's wait and see what happens...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, the fat lady aint singing, but she is limbering up in the wings. The Moorswater cement traffci still provides some notable workings. Including a remarkable change in operator in the 11th hour. DBS have run 6Z17 on Mon 28th Jan 2013. The loco was 66030 and I was at Liskeard box to record the event.

It is understood that the plant at Moorswater will see traffic for a further 3 months or so, before it ceases rail operations

• RMweb Gold

Well, the fat lady aint singing, but she is limbering up in the wings. The Moorswater cement traffci still provides some notable workings. Including a remarkable change in operator in the 11th hour. DBS have run 6Z17 on Mon 28th Jan 2013. The loco was 66030 and I was at Liskeard box to record the event.

It is understood that the plant at Moorswater will see traffic for a further 3 months or so, before it ceases rail operations

Bum. Another SW freight flow lost. Thanks for the update, but rather depressing, for all concerned....:( 

• RMweb Gold

Lovely pics Craig - thanks for sharing them.

If we're honest its been on borrowed time, with the cement trade giving it a second lease of life.

But that don't make it any easier... :(

Archived