Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

So the small detail pack for these coaches has brake discs and some replacement couplings.

No instruction sheet about the couplings so I have a couple of coupling questions  :)

1.  You get 4 couplings - are they all the same or are one pair minutely different to the other pair?

2.  How does one change them and are they only for aesthetics or do they give a closer coupling than the rapido ones?

3.  On loco hauled Mk3s did they only carry footsteps on one side at opposing ends of the coach? 

• RMweb Gold

There are a pair of standard length fixed knuckle couplers and a short pair..

To remove the couplers put a finger nail just in front of the coupling housing and with the other hand pull the coupler out.

When inserting the couplings put a finger nail, behind the box next to the bogie ( this reduces the chance of knocking the close coupling system out of its slots) then push the new coupling in.

If you have curves over 12 inches radius then the shorter ones should work.

I tend to use one short next to one long one to go round 11inch curves.

Ian

Hi,

To add to Roundhouse's comments:

For Loco hauled Mk3's - short on both ends, can be pulled OK on 12" but not pushed as you get buffer lock, short on one end and long on the other seem to work OK.

For HST Mk3's - short on both ends works OK, whether pulled or pushed.

Using Short couplings on both ends can be tricky to couple as the coach ends meet before the couplings click home, so you have to lift the bogie on one coach. Small price to pay for such close coupling though.

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Gold

Just a bit more clarification on my findings:

I found that I got buffer locking between mk3 and Dapol class 67 with the standard ones, so put a Dapol Easi - shunt standard length on the coach and a long version on the class 67 to get round my 11.5" radius curves. Also the short fixed knuckles between mk 3's also caused buffer lock. Not such n issue on a mk3 HST bufferless version.

cant help with the steps though without studying some photos.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Ok thought id try a different approach to removing letters with thinners or tcut etc.tried some greased lightning showroom shine.dabbed a bit onto the inter city 125 numbers then using my nail i rubbed and rubbed and it lifted off nicely.i will post a pic tomorrow but judging by the result i cant see any glossy patch!got the cdl mouldings removed by knife and ive also rubbed off the white "1"s.

Now the n gauge transfers.i need black "1"s and black "Inter-City" transfers.

Not too bothered about number sets because on n gauge they are virtually unreadable.

Who sells these?

Fox transfers sell the correct livery embellishments plus the correct size numbers for executive livery coaches which are the same size as standard coach numbers but black. The small numbers printed by Dapol are only correct for swallow livery.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

Anybody clued up on the steps?

Studied a fair few FGW Mk3s in my time.....

As you look at any Mk3 coach side on (except TGS) then the steps are located at the left hand doors only, so will be on diagonally opposite corners. The TGS has an extra set at the guard end of the vehicle, giving them 3 sets.

Hope that is relatively clear.....2 on most, 3 on a TGS.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Cheers for the steps info Stu  :)

Looked at the coach I tackled last night in the cold light of day this morning and its seems that my method of removing those InterCity125 decals was no better than those who use T-cut etc.  but IMHO the glossy patch looks more authentic so do you what I plan to do?   Yep.  I will rub the rest of the lower portion of the coach to get it looking glossy the full length.  Only the dirtiest Mk3s look like that lower half is matted (like the Dapols are out of the box) - most have a sheen to them so this is no bad thing.

They are in stock with Hattons and I've had notification it is being packed, I get mine at £17 (plus postage, would have been nice if I could have combined with some other items to make it more worth the postage), so that is a saving on the current price.

Seen the image in Rails, is it worth the is it 2 or 3 year wait, probably not it's only a MKIII buffet but at least I have the full WR rake now.

Dapol don't seem to have researched very well again - RFM 10229 is an ex-FO so has full-height windows along the corridor side. Their model doesn't have this adn would have been far more accurate for either ex-HST TRUKs or ex-RFBs. None of the RFMs carried blue and grey followng conversion (too late a date) so in this livery it would need to be one which was repainted by Cargo-D or DB. 10202 or 10246 would have been far better choices.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Swallow buffet cars absolute minefield with no red through all red with half yellow and some full yellow for stripes and two widths!

So not all wrong just not all right.

Livery checks always a thorny issue but hopefully will get better 

But like many awaiting delivery !

Robert

Is rest-buffet 40407 in exec livery nc216f carrying the wrong "1" in white on the upper body or should it even have a 1 anywhere on it?

The band above the windows suggests its unclassified......

Have Dapol ever made 1st class exec mk3s with black "1"s on the doors?ive seen blue and grey 1st class vehicles with white 1s on the doors.

Also wondering if they are working on correcting the previous exec coaches that had 125 branding on when they were buffered loco hauled and 1st class vehicles had the 1 in wrong place and colour......maybe back in the production slot queue.

I sm a bit annoyed at reading about all the easily avoided errors......

Edited by ThaneofFife

Is rest-buffet 40407 in exec livery nc216f carrying the wrong "1" in white on the upper body or should it even have a 1 anywhere on it?

The band above the windows suggests its unclassified......

404xx buffets are TRSBs, which have standard-class seating so there shouldn't be a '1' anywhere on them.

• RMweb Gold

Dapol don't seem to have researched very well again - RFM 10229 is an ex-FO so has full-height windows along the corridor side. Their model doesn't have this adn would have been far more accurate for either ex-HST TRUKs or ex-RFBs. None of the RFMs carried blue and grey followng conversion (too late a date) so in this livery it would need to be one which was repainted by Cargo-D or DB. 10202 or 10246 would have been far better choices.

Dapol have stated they are using the RFM bodyshell for all their Mk3 catering vehicles, as the cost of tooling the numerous different variations is prohibitive.

The livery errors are regrettable but should be easily corrected. I am fairly certain that the silver 1s on the Executive liveried coaches must have crept in at a late stage, as I offered some assistance with these vehicles.

Dapol have stated they are using the RFM bodyshell for all their Mk3 catering vehicles, as the cost of tooling the numerous different variations is prohibitive.

Yes, but there was absolutely no need to use this number - if they wanted to produce a Mk3a RFM in blue and grey they could have chosen a number which matched their model (e.g. 10202 or 10246). With the Pretendolino and WSMR liveries they had no choice as none of the real ones matches their model so it had be incorrect for the reasons you state, but in the case of the blue and grey there is no good reason!

Hi all

There are lots of slightly disappointing aspects of the livery application of these buffets as released, notwithstanding the use of the RFM body shell for the HST catering vehicles. 

As built, the HST vehicles with 4 large saloon windows per side were the TRSB and TRUK types. On the corridor side (with the four large windows on the left when viewed side on) the TRSB and RFM have the same window layout, as far as I can see. The TRUK is also very similar on this side, apart from a small access hatch instead of the small window midway down the vehicle.

Although a couple of the Dapol HST buffets have been numbered as 400xx or 404xx TRSB, none of the blue/grey or Executive liveried vehicles have the correct bodyside branding for a TRSB, which was "Buffet" until 1978 and then "Buffet-Bar 125" until the end of the blue/grey and executive livery eras. Two blue/grey HST buffets have been released - one numbered as a TRSB and one as a TRUB (403xx), both with "W" prefixes (not one "W" and one "E" as previously advised). Both are branded "Restaurant-Buffet 125", which was only ever carried by the TRUB/TRFB types which had 3 large bodyside windows. Perhaps one released as a TRSB branded "Buffet-Bar 125" and one released as a 405xx TRUK branded "Restaurant 125" would have been better?

The executive liveried RFM is also a missed opportunity - after all the body shell of this vehicle is correct! The two prototypes, 10200 and 10201 were released into traffic in executive livery in 1984-85 branded "InterCity Restaurant Buffet" and at least the first two production vehicles were also released into traffic in executive livery. Most of this batch, however, were released into traffic in "INTERCITY" swallow livery and didn't ever carry executive. Instead we have a generic 10258 branded "Restaurant Buffet", which is almost certainly incorrect.

Then there are the misplaced "1"s on the executive livery first class coaches, and the random yellow first class stripes on standard class TRSBs!

At the end of the day they are only plastic models and, certainly in my case, the only person who will ever notice the livery errors on my layout will be me. For this reason, I haven't cancelled any of my pre-orders, so a big shipment should be heading my way in the next few days. But, it is frustrating that, with a little more attention to detail, there could have been far fewer compromises in these models even with the use of the RFM shell for HST buffets.

Kind regards

Tom.

Edited by tiger
  • Like 1

Tracking my coach with Yodel - it seems it arrived in Manchester from Liverpool last night then was sent to the West Midlands before coming straight back to Manchester.  How is that efficient use of resources LOL.

Parcel out for delivery Middleton service centre 20th Feb 2014 08:50

Parcel received at service centre Middleton service centre 20th Feb 2014 04:17

Despatched from service centre Wednesbury hub 20th Feb 2014 00:28

Parcel received at service centre Wednesbury hub 20th Feb 2014 00:27

Despatched from service centre Manchester service centre 19th Feb 2014 20:27

That's 8 hours in the back of a lorry for nothing.

Edited by woodenhead