Class 20s in the late 60s

I have just received a Bachmann domino box class 20 in the post (20 136), and I am planning to convert the model to a head-code panelled version with a nice transition livery.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any quirky livery combinations individual locos had in the late 60s. I have heard that some were green with BR double arrows, but have never seen a picture.

I have seen a B&W picture of D8093 in a book I have which appears to show the loco with double arrows and no yellow on the none-cab end. This of course might just be dirt.

Were any class 20s painted with BSYP? Was there ever a small number painted with a brown under carriage?

Some links to photos would be great.

I will post some pictures of the two I am currently considering re-creating, but Flickr is currently down.

Tom

My memory is hazy now from that era, but I have the impression that all the 20s in the D83xx series were introduced with the BR arrows and numbers under the cab side windows.

I cant remember seeing any green locos with BR arrows, but that doesn't mean there were none, and I would love someone to provide a photo to prove me wrong.

I did see a couple with the arrows the wrong way around during the 1966/7 period, but sorry, I have no idea what numbers they were.

Off the top of my head I think D8048 had the back to front double arrows, one of the Ian Allan diesel books (possibly the Motive Power Survey series of softbacks) has a photo of it freshly painted c1966 / 67. If memory serves, the yellow ends were an unusual / experimental style too, with the front one not going all the way round the nose / bonnet area.

The last D83xx batch were delivered new in blue / full yellow ends with arrow logos on the cabsides.

yep, 8048 was back to front, the blue ones started at D8179 (queryD8178)through to D8327

D8093 i think was blue with old style number transfers and a very mucky full yellow end

some green ones had the coaching stock roundel but don't recall any green with arrows

yep, 8048 was back to front, the blue ones started at D8179 (queryD8178)through to D8327

D8093 i think was blue with old style number transfers and a very mucky full yellow end

some green ones had the coaching stock roundel but don't recall any green with arrows

Plate 7 in Profile of the Class 20s shows D8056 at Stratford in April 1969 carrying green with full yellow ends (and red bufferbeam) with lower cabside numbers and carriage type roundels in front of the cab. The yellow end on the nose extends in the usual style applied to blue locos- ie slight wrapround and over the top of the nose causing the grey roof to be shortened when compared to green or green small yellow panels.

D8048 was the first corporate blue class 20 repaint in c6/66 but did differ slightly in application to later machines in as much as it had blue bufferbeams and its numbers were in block style (rather than 'Rail' style) These were mounted above the double arrow symbol which at some point were applied reversed- ie with the top arrow pointing to the left. Assume this was done on the repaint into blue c6/66.

I have yet to see a photo of a GFYE machine with double arrows nor of a BSYP version either but it does not mean that it never happened. GFYE was a fairly common variation on this class with 48 examples believed to have received TOPS numbers on their green livery- 20014-8/20-3/5/6/45/7/56/7/75,20129-33/7/8/40/1/4-7/9-56/8/62/4/5/7/9/70/4/5/7, 20228 as detailed by Mr Saxton (mentioned shortly.) 20141 was the last GFYE surviving until at least 5/80. Russell Saxton has written on the subject, the article appearing in Railways Illustrated. A copy is available on http://www.railblue....e_history_2.htm to look at if interested. I think he may have also written an article on class 20 liveries for Adrian Curtis' revived publication Classic Diesel and Electrics.

Thanks for all the livery detail

and thank you Stewart for the great pictures.

I would like to do a GFYE version. Suppose it would not be too much trouble to repaint a Bachmann GHYE.

I am also quite keen on this blue buffer beam and reverse arrow business.

Pennine MC directed me to Bush Veteran's photo stream where he has a lovely picture of that short yellow end mentioned by Rugd1022 in post #6.

D8095 Polmadie July 70 Slide 1372

Does anybody have a clue how many locos carried this strange yellow end?

It's a 99.99999% certainty, that no Class 20s carried BSYP. At least ONE Class 20 carried GFYE with Arrows - 20057, but it also kept its Coaching-Stock Roundel, at least on one side; http://www.flickr.com/photos/46793466@N06/5958195999/ .

There were quite a few ScR 20s with the "Block" style numbers, also D8001, D8010, D8046, D8048 and possibly D8007 & D8049 (and maybe others - these are the only ones I know about). Of these, D8048 was the only recorded (so far!) 20 to have the arrows reversed. All 20s from D8178 were delivered in blue..

Rgds, Ron.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Heres current project

We have D8113 - a Bachmann 32-040DS

And heres what we need - D8111, one of the Eastfield bacth that came south when the 27s went north.http://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6548597401/

So following work needed:

Remove token catchers (anyone want them? A PM secures!). Done but left a mess so fitted new cab sides including rivets for token catcher mounting bracket as per photo.

A bit of paint touch up - yellow on those conduits that cross the warning panel, silver on the buffer shanks - done

Renumbering - transfers including data panels arrived fron Fox yesterday - note data panel on blue background so also got some blue blanking patches to sort that.

Etched works plates from Extreme Etchings - must check to see if have any in stock

Weathering - now Jim is expert at this but may be tempted to give it a go!

Will update and photo

Phil

• 3 years later...

D8177 was new in GSYP. D8178 was new in BFYE. Also to note is that although the early green 20 deliveries had green solebars, the later green examples, from D8135 at least, came out new with black solebars. This is best seen on locos in new condition as after a while it was impossible to tell the colour of the solebars for dirt. One unusual late example of livery was D8033 which is reported to have been allocated to Stratford in September 68 and arrived there in all over green and was promptly given FYE. As an aside thought, which/when was the last GSYE example?

Paul J.

Archived