RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

At close of play this evening, with a waft of primer, after fitting the following:

1. Rear steps, my resin items, originally produced for the K2s
2. Middle stesps, found in my spares box, evidently sawn off a plastic loco body, sides filed to give the desired curves
3. Dome, out of the spares box - whitemetal, not quite tall enough originally so built up with big blobs of lowmelt and filed to shape
4. Small washout plugs - I suspect they are Dave Alexander - whitemetal anyway - more spares!
5. Oval mudholes - resin, originally done for the pacifics...
6. Boiler bands in aluminium tape
7. Cab beading, 15 amp fuse wire super-glued on. I wouldn't do that for a service model, but this cab only has to survive long enough to make a mould.
I've dimpled the handrail knob positions too.

STA80131%20with%20tender_zpskxno7wlk.jpg
STA80131_zpsat74vf88.jpg
STA80132_zpstlck5dvd.jpg
STA80133_zpskrqza9tn.jpg
STA80134_zpsx7l0oa78.jpg
STA80135_zpsaxx9ltab.jpg

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 13

At close of play this evening, with a waft of primer, after fitting the following:

1. Rear steps, my resin items, originally produced for the K2s

2. Middle stesps, found in my spares box, evidently sawn off a plastic loco body, sides filed to give the desired curves

3. Dome, out of the spares box - whitemetal, not quite tall enough originally so built up with big blobs of lowmelt and filed to shape

4. Small washout plugs - I suspect they are Dave Alexander - whitemetal anyway - more spares!

5. Oval mudholes - resin, originally done for the pacifics...

6. Boiler bands in aluminium tape

7. Cab beading, 15 amp fuse wire super-glued on. I wouldn't do that for a service model, but this cab only has to survive long enough to make a mould.

I've dimpled the handrail knob positions too.

STA80131%20with%20tender_zpskxno7wlk.jpg

Wow! Coming on in leaps n bounds there 3279...

Well, I suppose we'd better get the shed ready for servicing all these lovely new locos

post-16151-0-33470600-1437342099_thumb.jpg

Focus of attention this weekend has been the ashpit servicing area. This can be seen in the pre-war shot from the Hooper locoshed book, whereby two roads went either side of a central paved area for disposal crews to get access to ashpans, etc. Only room for one road on the model so I'm adding a reasonable width working area to one side of the already dug pit. This is plain brick plasticard being cut n glued to shape.

post-16151-0-32706300-1437342135_thumb.jpg

Done. What's 'e left that funny shape for?

post-16151-0-08404700-1437342181_thumb.jpg

Why - the water column of course! This is the Mike Models item, with the swan neck extensions removed ('cos the prototype didn't seem to have them at this location. The neck seems to be high enough above Tracery's water filler to me?

post-16151-0-79586600-1437342220_thumb.jpg

Here, I'm adding balsa sheet infill pieces to raise the ground level a little prior to applying the ground cover. If you look closely, you'll see that the servicing pad now has stone edging pieces surrounding it, fashioned from 3mm balsa.

post-16151-0-27401100-1437342270_thumb.jpg

Now the 'gunge'! My usual DIY filler / PVA / poster paint mix, but I've also added some fine ballast into the mix this time to give a bit of texture.

post-16151-0-85084800-1437342324_thumb.jpg

And a few hours later. It will dry quite a bit lighter than this but I'm quite pleased with these efforts at first glance. Always good to get the thick plastic base of the Peco track buried from view! At the edge of the baseboard, I've added a suggestion of a shallow grass bank as photos show that the land did actually rise up a bit here.

post-16151-0-14459100-1437342410_thumb.jpg

2558 tries out the new facilities. This shows how much better the track looks following the ground treatment.

post-16151-0-24724300-1437342582_thumb.jpg

Robert the Devil,

any news on the ballasting??

Well, it's funny you should ask that...

post-16151-0-34496100-1437343178_thumb.jpg

First of all belated thanks for the results of another working visit on Friday - another 4 point motors working at the south end. No photos of Barry working on this occasion; instead, here's a little associated detail that I added afterwards. Two of the point motors are for the double slip in the centre of the photo which is positioned slap bang on top of Springfield road bridge and hence prevents any point motors being mounted directly underneath. The solution features the good 'ol GEM angle cranks once again.

Now - about that ballasting?

post-16151-0-72163600-1437343258_thumb.jpg

Must try harder!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14

My mistake, they are J5 etches. Confusingly the J5 and J6 were both J22 in GNR days.

Paul, being a modeller of a layout based on the GN Derbyshire extension, I would be very, very interested in a J5 kit(in fact.. kits). Is this for LRM? Any idea of release date? They were the first engines I ever remember seeing and discerning as a class and as such they have a unique spot in my railway affections. I was planning on scratch-building them in the next couple of years for use with LRM GN 3170 gal tenders.

Sorry for hijacking the thread to ask this question. Loving the progress on Grantham and Graeme's J6. 

Best Wishes

Clem

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Loco area looks good. Point motor additions look good ..where did the gap appear on the ballast? Obviously glue shy trainee operative....loops!

Further to the discussion of machine wagon loads at our last weekend summit I today remembered to try out my traction engine model. Minus the plug in moulded rubber (!) chimney it might just sneak under Grantham's Atlantic-adapted over-line structures, but with chimney hoisted it would certainly cause some embarrassment. Not even the 'GN' civil engineering department provided the necessary clearances on its main line.

post-3445-0-75038800-1437582295.jpg

post-3445-0-51680100-1437582319.jpg

Can the GN civil engineer be persuaded to jack that goods line flyover up even higher? I doubt it.....

• Like 5

Hi there,

Points are standard Peco Code 100 products. Those in above views are medium radius (3.5 foot radius). Opinion varies on exact radius of double slips but I reckon it's somewhere in the region of 2.5 foot radius between the frogs (the outer portions of it are of course straight).

Hope that answers your question?

The canopy and supports could come off if necessary and be re-attached later. Bit of a fiddle, but possible. I won't act until we've decided whether this item will actually run on the main line, just sit somewhere and look interesting, or maybe not get used on the layout at all. Playing about with the engine's rear wheels to  get them to sit fully within the width of the wagon deck has helped marginally to reduce the loaded height. You can see in the pictures above that the wheels were sitting on top of the steel edges of the wagon.

Anybody got a lower "mac" with a sufficient load rating?

• Like 1

That's an idea worth looking at a second time. I did tentatively try to ease the rubber off one wheel but the wheel structure started to make funny cracking noises and little if any movement of the rubber was apparent. Has anybody succeeded in removing the rubber from the wheels of such a model?

As indeed does simply starting from the inside edge of the tyre and gradually flexing it off the rim with good old fashioned basic thumb and finger. I must stop thinking about things so much and assuming that use of tools will be necessary or helpful in some way - especially flame throwers.

• Like 2

As indeed does simply starting from the inside edge of the tyre and gradually flexing it off the rim with good old fashioned basic thumb and finger. I must stop thinking about things so much and assuming that use of tools will be necessary or helpful in some way - especially flame throwers.

Flame thrower. Now that's an idea...

I'm sure that was true of some, at least.

The deep edges to the rubber tyres on that model of the traction engine are deceptive. Once the tyres are off the overall height reduction is little more than 1mm as the wheel rims have a raised central strip, over which the tyres clip.

Interestingly, there are loads of internet pictures of the restored Fowler 8hp road locomotive Atlas on which the model is supposed to be based. Not one of them appears to me to show dark brown livery. My eyes see black, with fully lined wheel spokes. In a way, the mass of lining almost lifts the overall colour impression from a great distance so that dark brown might be imagined, but I'm not sure that brown on the model is justified. I'll make it clear at this stage that NO repainting is planned! I have bigger fish to fry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Beat me to it, but you can see the hinged chimney on this example from Pickering a couple of years ago.

hinged_chimney_zps6pikjvms.jpg

I wonder if the roof folds too?  Those scissors style supports suggest this to me, though they could just be cross bracing.

Hi 4479

Has there been any further developments on the railway

Development is a continuous process between now and first show in a little less than 7 weeks' time! Was going to post last night but ran out of time - suffice to say that I was pleased to host another visit from the scenery team over the weekend.

post-16151-0-36292700-1438017822_thumb.jpg

Standby for something later this evening...

• Like 8