Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Your platform work reminded me of the following feature I found a few weeks back on the retirement, in spring 1938, of Charles J Cooke, who's an important man for your period because, as I expect you will already know, he was the Station Master at Grantham during most of 'The Streamliner Years'.  Towards the end he has something to say about current and forthcoming alterations to the down platform.  Maybe the photo will be of service to your people person?

ps There's a mistake in there which I expect is down to a journalist not knowing their local railway geography (nothing changes!).

attachicon.gifCJ Cooke retirement GJ 1938-03-26 page 6.jpg

That's wonderful John, thanks. Nice to see that it ties in with a number of features on the layout (eg the colour light signal). The reference to the elimination of (goods) horses ties in with a fact in the Cawston book about Grantham being chosen as a pilot location for the introduction of the Scammel mechanical horses so definitely need to have a few of them around the layout!

That's wonderful John, thanks. Nice to see that it ties in with a number of features on the layout (eg the colour light signal). The reference to the elimination of (goods) horses ties in with a fact in the Cawston book about Grantham being chosen as a pilot location for the introduction of the Scammel mechanical horses so definitely need to have a few of them around the layout!

As you are showing the platforms in their un-extended condition, I wondered if you will have the 'drawing down' of longer passenger trains in the operating plan? (Not being knowledgeable about whether this is indicated/allowed for in WTTs; if it is you will surely have picked it up. No doubt I will find out in a few weeks!)

The down main (plat.3) is actually depicted in its (sort of!) extended form (but nothing like the scale length it should be!).

post-16151-0-58878000-1439803044_thumb.jpg

This pic shows it up. The extended portion of plat.3 is the bit with the railings - note the different platform surface. Prior to the extension, the platform ended level with the remnants of the ramp at the head of plat.4. The extension of the main up platform (plat.2) had to wait until the removal of the trailing crossover (shown at the left hand end of the picture) - I think these (trackwork) alterations were made during wartime.

I THINK therefore that as I have depicted it is correct for the immediate pre-war era. :scratchhead:

• Like 10

Yes, you're right.  Thanks for the extra photo and sorry for the mistake on my part - I should have looked more closely at the photos on the last page, where the extra length of platform's quite clear.  Urgent appointment at Specsavers required I think.  The up platform was indeed not extended northwards until wartime.

John

Edited by 61070

Do you have anymore photos of the wagon please?

Either somewhere in the vastness of RMWeb or somewhere on the lner.info forum's modelling section my comparison pictures are already posted. I've just looked but failed to find them. If you are more skilful or persistent that me you may have better luck. Time is against me at present, so I'm unable to search further or re-post.

Late night update - just come in from the chapel model railway room having completed fitting of the...

attachicon.gifIMG_5055.JPG

... pavements!

Affording potential views such as these:

attachicon.gifIMG_5051.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5052.JPG

The trees have been a last 24 hours thing, as I only just recently 'clocked' them on the pre-war (1926) aerial view showing this area. They'd gone by the 1950 views! I had time today to nip into the York model shop and buy a 'will do for now' bag of RTP trees. They strike me as immediately dating the layout to a time when life even in a town was altogether more rural.

More soon...

Forgive the question, but in view of the name on the shop I did wonder if this was meant to be the birthplace of the Blessed Margaret? I know the building itself still stands, now within view of ASDA as well as the ECML. She would have been 13 at the time of Mallard's famous run, visible from her bedroom perhaps!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Either somewhere in the vastness of RMWeb or somewhere on the lner.info forum's modelling section my comparison pictures are already posted. I've just looked but failed to find them. If you are more skilful or persistent that me you may have better luck. Time is against me at present, so I'm unable to search further or re-post.

Here you go.

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6399&hilit=D%26amp%3BS+mac+K&start=60

Well done!

Now, about that "Squadron" of J6s. Here's the first nearly-all-resin example stretching its legs (to some benefit) on Little Bytham yesterday. I'd had real concerns about smooth quiet running and possible over heating of the motor, but all went well, thank goodness!

Pictures courtesy of Tony Wright be the way. My own images suffice to show construction, but I can't do layout photography nor professionally lit studio shots of models.

post-3445-0-40815300-1439905996_thumb.jpgpost-3445-0-25881300-1439906132_thumb.jpg

The chassis is a one piece home resin casting with brass bearings inserted, inexpensive Mitsumi motor as sold by John Isherwood, modified nylon gears from a large mixed bargain bag sold by Squires for under a fiver, Gibson wheels and rods plus home made resin brake shoes. No trouble with short circuits....

post-3445-0-97160200-1439906158_thumb.jpgpost-3445-0-64979000-1439906408_thumb.jpg

Here's the one piece rubber mould used to make the cab, and a two piece mould used to produce the running plate.

post-3445-0-85842000-1439906441_thumb.jpg

The main master parts used in building the previous test model, as altered and prepared for mould making, hence some of the strangely appended thin layers of plastic and sellotape. These created the necessary divisions in the rubber of the moulds, allowing the master parts and subsequent resin castings to be removed. The running plate valances are from small square brass bear for rigidity, and much of the platform is thin brass sheet. Otherwise, save for fuse wire beading on the cab the master parts were built form plastic for ease and speed.

post-3445-0-74109400-1439906533_thumb.jpg

Just two more to do before the second weekend in September, along with all else. As "Cutler" might say, "no sweat boys"...

post-3445-0-48230700-1439906865.jpg

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mr. King. What great model making, and a really lovely J6. I like the chassis design, it clearly gets away from all those possible short circuiting problems. You can never have enough loco's such as a J6!

With regards,

Market65.

Forgive the question, but in view of the name on the shop I did wonder if this was meant to be the birthplace of the Blessed Margaret?

'Blessed' or 'cussed' depending on your point of view I guess but it is a matter of history that Britain's first woman prime minister was born in the town and the Roberts corner shop was too prominent a feature to ignore. It has of course been 'moved' from its true location at the end of North Parade in order to feature on the model - an example of modeller's licence!

Edited by LNER4479

Now, about that "Squadron" of J6s. Here's the first nearly-all-resin example stretching its legs (to some benefit) on Little Bytham yesterday. I'd had real concerns about smooth quiet running and possible over heating of the motor, but all went well, thank goodness!

Just two more to do before the second weekend in September, along with all else. As "Cutler" might say, "no sweat boys"...

Already spotted on the WW thread ... suffice to say fantastic work good sir. Lost in admiration to think of anything better to say!

'Blessed' or 'cussed' depending on your point of view I guess but it is a matter of history that Britain's first woman prime minister was born in the town and was too prominent a feature to ignore. It was of course been 'moved' from its true location at the end of North Parade in order to feature on the model - an example of modeller's licence!

Thanks for the clarification. Happily this is a modelling forum, not a political one, but as you say whether loved or loathed the Lady's role in our history is too great to ignore.

In the various interviews I've seen that she gave, particularly after she left no.10, I've always been saddened that she never seems to have had even a word, let alone any affection for the town or area of her birth. Its as if after she left for the dreaming spires of Oxford, and then the bright lights of London and her career, that she was almost embarrased about her origins - of course her elocution lessons to lose any trace of "m'ducks" are well known! All rather lamentable in my view, and maybe explains why there is little of reference to her in the town.

John.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mr. King. What great model making, and a really lovely J6. I like the chassis design, it clearly gets away from all those possible short circuiting problems. You can never have enough loco's such as a J6!

With regards,

Market65.

Please Sir, can you set up a business and mass produce these for the rest of us who can only grovel before your throne?

Superb!

• Like 3

I've an intention, in outline, to try to make parts available later. I doubt that my home-brewed layout of gears will be for everybody as it is a bit of a faff to set up properly. It should however be easy enough to cut off the raised motor mount and put in a suitably chosen proprietary gearbox.

It has to be kept in mind that the long term stability of the resin chassis block is un-proven. An alternative item built from metal components, sourced elsewhere, could be employed instead if the idea of the resin chassis does not appeal. Some RTR chassis might also be persuaded to do the job. The Hornby Blackmotor chassis has been suggested, and their J50 may turn out to have a suitable chassis if re-wheeled. Even a cropped Bachmann K3 chassis might do the job, but the size of the wheels and the loss of daylight beneath the boiler are concerns in this case.

'Blessed' or 'cussed' depending on your point of view I guess but it is a matter of history that Britain's first woman prime minister was born in the town and the Roberts corner shop was too prominent a feature to ignore. It has of course been 'moved' from its true location at the end of North Parade in order to feature on the model - an example of modeller's licence!

I do hope the local Fire Station was ready for a number of call outs to the Grocer's Store.  Among  most of  the older generation of Granthamians (older than even me) both Father & Daughter were very unpopular.However ex pupils of Kesteven Girls Grammar School seemed to like her more so class background or Fathers occupation / income seemed to effect views.

Despite the town always returning a Conservative MP that is greatly influenced by the rural areas rather than the topwnies who worked in heavy engineering in the main.  Rationing was one factor for Father's unpopularity where favourite's flourished. (I will say no more as Andy York is losing his hair in fright of

litigation.) :jester:

Regards,Del Boy.

Don't worry - I have a cunning plan :mail:

Every day / evening between now and show time has a specific task allotted to ensure that the things that are planned to be finished will in fact be finished (to a reasonable degree). There will inevitably be a certain amount of mock-ups and 'will do for now's on the day, mainly towards the south end but it should otherwise hang together in a reasonably coherent manner. Even the mighty Gresley Beat had untreated teddy bear fur and bare wood the first time I saw it!

In my past occupation we all (mostly)  thought in the main she was lovely. I would imagine the Falkland lslanders have a similar opinion as well !!.

Somewhat different opinion up where I'm domiciled these days (North East of England), where 'brown field' sites abound! Have to be a bit careful what you say re the Iron Lady round these parts :butcher:

Maggie was like Marmite either love or hate her.

In my past occupation we all (mostly)  thought in the main she was lovely. I would imagine the Falkland lslanders have a similar opinion as well !!.

I think members of the Metropolitan Police who were involved in policing the 1984-85 Miners Strike loved her.I know one who claims to have earned enough extra in that time to buy a second house in London !   :O

Regards.

Don't worry - I have a cunning plan :mail:

Every day / evening between now and show time has a specific task allotted to ensure that the things that are planned to be finished will in fact be finished (to a reasonable degree). There will inevitably be a certain amount of mock-ups and 'will do for now's on the day, mainly towards the south end but it should otherwise hang together in a reasonably coherent manner. Even the mighty Gresley Beat had untreated teddy bear fur and bare wood the first time I saw it!

Yes,but according to a certain member of the "Who" they always had a super tea-lady in the team.Much to the annoyance of a certain Barbara   :angel:   and I guess her husband Brian who probably suffered for a few days.

Regards,Derek.