Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Derek,

I totally agree.  All decent folk in Grantham. 

I've had a look through the photo collection, but I've not spotted Whitewashed Coal Stacks.  Perhaps Grantham's Railway Policeman were much more on the Ball unlike other depots

Paul 4475

The local Plod Officer on the High Dyke branch could be relied on to turn a blind eye to a wee bit of poaching by the offer of a brace of pheasants   :nono:    :angel:

I know this from the experiences of a Guard supplementing his meagre income from the Railways with a wee bit of unlawful activity,no other than my Late uncle, George Aubrey Betts who I often accompanied on this scary activity, for a ten year old   :O . :no:

• Like 1

Time for an update on the coaling stage.

post-16151-0-86143400-1439245516_thumb.jpg

Last time we saw it, it was just a basic plywood shell. Now, I'm covering it with shaped pieces of my favourite 1mm card to create the relief on the main outer wall and the precise shape of the window / door openings.

post-16151-0-57714400-1439245544_thumb.jpg

Following that, we can start to fill the recesses thus formed with brick plasticard. This time I'm using Slaters (english bond)

post-16151-0-32966500-1439245576_thumb.jpg

This cut out took me about an hour. There were three similar pieces to do.

post-16151-0-97825800-1439245650_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, down at the depot, time to focus on the ramp up to the stage for the coal wagons. Here it is, being weighed up for size, following the recent trackwork alterations.

post-16151-0-92355300-1439245716_thumb.jpg

A few hours carpentry later - quite pleased with how this turned out. Like the stage itself, this (approach ramp) will be removeable (not least because it crosses a baseboard joint.

post-16151-0-10757500-1439245768_thumb.jpg

And now in position, awaiting track being fixed down (since been done).

post-16151-0-86724700-1439245877_thumb.jpg

And here's how the stage currently looks, with added chimney columns (well, as of a few nights ago - the brick coverings have since been added to the chimney columns). I figured (from the photos on the Return to Grantham site) that the base is in effect a series of arches (a short, low viaduct in effect!), with the arches bricked in to create rooms, etc. Hence the extended arch shapes above the windows and doors.

More soon - it's all happening quite quick now as the show deadline approaches!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

Time for an update on the coaling stage.

attachicon.gifIMG_5012.JPG

Last time we saw it, it was just a basic plywood shell. Now, I'm covering it with shaped pieces of my favourite 1mm card to create the relief on the main outer wall and the precise shape of the window / door openings.

attachicon.gifIMG_5015.JPG

Following that, we can start to fill the recesses thus formed with brick plasticard. This time I'm using Slaters (english bond)

attachicon.gifIMG_5033.JPG

This cut out took me about an hour. There were three similar pieces to do.

attachicon.gifIMG_5064.JPG

Meanwhile, down at the depot, time to focus on the ramp up to the stage for the coal wagons. Here it is, being weighed up for size, following the recent trackwork alterations.

attachicon.gifIMG_5067.JPG

A few hours carpentry later - quite pleased with how this turned out. Like the stage itself, this (approach ramp) will be removeable (not least because it crosses a baseboard joint.

attachicon.gifIMG_5068.JPG

And now in position, awaiting track being fixed down (since been done).

attachicon.gifIMG_5069.JPG

And here's how the stage currently looks, with added chimney columns (well, as of a few nights ago - the brick coverings have since been added to the chimney columns). I figured (from the photos on the Return to Grantham site) that the base is in effect a series of arches (a short, low viaduct in effect!), with the arches bricked in to create rooms, etc. Hence the extended arch shapes above the windows and doors.

More soon - it's all happening quite quick now as the show deadline approaches!

Looks really good mate. Takes ages to cut out all those arches and window apertures but well worth the effort. I must get on and finish mine at some stage.

Looking forward to seeing it on the layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

The coaling stage and approach ramp are looking very good, and will be a fine addition to the layout. Interesting to read about the arches over the doors and windows on the coaling stage. A fascinating history there.

With regards,

Market65.

I've just seen this, recently posted on the Grantham Matters website - replacement of Barrowby Road bridge (main line section) in 1955 in photos:

http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/see-it-can-be-done-grantham-railway-bridge-replaced-in-30-hours/

If you need to expedite construction maybe those lads could lend a hand?

ps it's odd that they should refer to trains stopping at Nottingham - it looks like the Nottingham branch remains in use.

Look everybody...

post-16151-0-68217800-1439406900_thumb.jpg

Model matey-peeps!!

post-16151-0-88311500-1439406924_thumb.jpg

Good, aren't they?

I can say that because I didn't do these - all the work of Tom Dewdney of the Ormesby club, to whom my grateful thanks. Look out for more of them popping up around the layout over the next few weeks ;)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

I've just seen this, recently posted on the Grantham Matters website - replacement of Barrowby Road bridge (main line section) in 1955 in photos:

http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/see-it-can-be-done-grantham-railway-bridge-replaced-in-30-hours/

If you need to expedite construction maybe those lads could lend a hand?

ps it's odd that they should refer to trains stopping at Nottingham - it looks like the Nottingham branch remains in use.

A very entertaining set of pictures. The Nottingham lines are definitely not affected.

The bridge deck on the ECML lines was last renewed in the mid to late Eighties, just prior to electrification.

Being a regular visitor to the bridge, courtesy of the antics of certain drivers of large vehicles, the girders under the Nottingham line may date back to the widen between Barrowby Road and Grantham North Junction. Also as the two renewals are about 30 years apart, that may mean another renewal is due. There are issues with the modern deck, which will need to be resolved at some point.

No doubt it will take longer than 30 hours!

Paul 4475

• Like 1

Paul,

I begin to wonder if you have a vested interest in the number of bridge strikes by lorries in Grantham !!  It must keep you in employment 50% of the time.Was there another hit on Barrowby bridge yesterday PM or just blown out lorry tyre's on the Iron Guards --  possibly sponsored by local Tyre company's.

Still it gave the Boy's in Blue some worthwhile Traffic Control practice  :declare:

Mind you after 8 months LCC still have not replaced the damaged railings.They are of course hard to source !!!   Funny that  :jester: . Think it should be SAUCE as they have got that for expecting us residents to believe their b-llsh-t.

Good luck to the team on the 11th, 12th &13th.My advice leave the Southbound A1 at the A607 Junction and use Harlaxton Road to the school, thereby avoiding the 3 Bridges   that Paul so Loves   -- The Double Bubble factor in his life.  :nono:

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My advice leave the A1 at the A607 Junction and use Harlaxton Road to the school, therby avoiding the 3 Bridges that Paul so Loves

Seconded that advice from Derek - the School is only a few hundred yards from the A1 - only those travelling from the East would need to go under Springfield Road but you would still avoid the town centre - especially as Saturday is Market Day and Watergate  Westgate will be closed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8986147,-0.6562366,16z?hl=en

EDIT - got my Westgate and Watergate mixed up - but it is nearly 40 years since I moved away !!

Edited by Mike Bellamy

Derek,

To be honest, the bridges are the main reason for me and my colleagues being based at Grantham.

I no longer count how many strikes I have attended.

There was no report of one yesterday, so I suspect a HGV had its tyres blown out on the metal lumps!

No doubt I have jinxed myself for later!!!!

Paul 4475

• RMweb Premium

So if you have  2 point motors each with 2 wires to be connected to a switch for each point motor why did I manage to get 1 wire of the 4 on the right terminal of the right switch?

Never mind Baz won in the end - peace reigns over south yard! 

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Great work on the platform, it has indeed transformed the north end of the station. The ballasting looks good, and together with the platform, these things really help the overall look of that area of the layout. You can photo' it with confidence!

With regards,

Market65.

Your platform work reminded me of the following feature I found a few weeks back on the retirement, in spring 1938, of Charles J Cooke, who's an important man for your period because, as I expect you will already know, he was the Station Master at Grantham during most of 'The Streamliner Years'.  Towards the end he has something to say about current and forthcoming alterations to the down platform.  Maybe the photo will be of service to your people person?

ps There's a mistake in there which I expect is down to a journalist not knowing their local railway geography (nothing changes!).

post-16222-0-36805300-1439759148_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A fine looking wagon. Is this the Dapol kit by chance?

It is the Dapol kit. Although the kit is meant to represent the BR Lowmac it's design is within a gnat's of the ex GER wagon classified Mac K by the LNER. I also have a "correct" model of the Mac K built from the one-time D & S etched brass kit. It isn't easy to see the differences until they are put side by side.

It is the Dapol kit. Although the kit is meant to represent the BR Lowmac it's design is within a gnat's of the ex GER wagon classified Mac K by the LNER. I also have a "correct" model of the Mac K built from the one-time D & S etched brass kit. It isn't easy to see the differences until they are put side by side.

Do you have anymore photos of the wagon please?