Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

LNER 4479 said :

Certainly the single slip is a vast improvement on the older type double slip (the point bars are further apart so the core inner curve isn't so tight)
Since you mentioned that I am wondering which type I have in the box and whether Peco have produced a larger radius slip now. The Peco Code 75 slips I have are around 2ft radius. Edited by coachmann

Since you mentioned that I am wondering which type I have in the box and whether Peco have produced a larger radius slip now. The Peco Code 75 slips I have are around 2ft radius.

Code 75 slips have always been the same Coach. Peco improved the slip design with the advent of Code 75 (in fact there was no Code 100 single slip before Code 75 came along), moving the tie bars further apart thus easing the curve as part of the re-design. If you look carefully, the Code 100 slips actually have code 75 rails on the inner bits (Peco making economies - fair enough as it's not readily noticeable) so the improved Code 100 variants are built around their slimmer cousins. The old Code 100 double slip had quite chunky switch blades, not very realistic looking; this was the type I was having trouble with.

Hope this clarifies.

• Like 4

Good to see all of the banter going on here; where would we be without a sense of humour?

However nice a man Dave tetleys is (and I've only ever exchanged brief pleasantries with him), don't listen to him when he suggests that Carlisle should become York! We don't have enough WCML prototypes modelled and Carlisle should be a stonker! I did sketch out a plan or two myself, but rapidly concluded that I would need a deal more room than I had got or was ever likely to get, so it became consigned to the dustbin of my fantasies. You, however, seem to have a superb opportunity with your new building, so go for it!

All the best

Terry D

• Like 1

Thanks Terry,

Don't worry, I am a true red at heart(!) and - god willing - Carlisle will be a reality one day. I'm just very patient, that's all, and am happy to wait a few years before making a start. In the mean time, I'm loving the green and teak sabatical and the challenge of portraying a different era.

I'll start a different thread one day re Carlisle so you'll be able to see it from the first planning thoughts (I already have a fair idea of what I'm going to attempt). But, as I say, a few years down the road yet.

Further to the recent installation of the ‘curved’ single slip, last night I completed the associated trackwork to fill a long-standing gap in the depot approach layout:

post-16151-0-04267000-1354619943_thumb.jpg

The track concerned is that in the foreground, linking the single slip (top left) with the ‘super scissors’ at the throat of the depot (just out of shot bottom left). I intend to use this as the principle route for locos coming on to the loco depot. LNER4479 will now demonstrate(!):

post-16151-0-27919500-1354619989_thumb.jpg

Having been relieved from an ‘up’ (southbound) express and reversed through the station to gain the Nottingham branch, 4479 now eases forward along the new trackwork to approach her home depot. The short siding off the right hand leg of the point she is about to pass over represents what appears to have been an area for the engineers as there is evidence in photos of platelayers trucks, piles of sleepers, etc. No doubt you Grantham-ites with more intimate knowledge of the location can advise. Meanwhile, in the background the signalman must have had his wits about him as the Down Main has already been cleared for the passage of a northbound express!

post-16151-0-70958100-1354620049_thumb.jpg

‘Robert’ rumbles over the passageway by the shed entrance. On page 70 of the Keith Pirt Grantham colour book, there is a picture of a V2 entering the shed at this point, with a couple of school boys who have just scrambled up the bank to get a closer look! I should indulge in a little spot of scenic work to complete this little cameo now the track is down...

post-16151-0-04986600-1354620102_thumb.jpg

Arrival on shed. If the next working of the loco was known then I guess it would be on to the turntable (if required) at this point; otherwise carry straight on across the right hand leg of the ‘super scissors’ to access the coaling stage (the shallow pit alongside can be seen extreme top right) and then to the ash disposal area beyond (board yet to be built) before retiring to the shed itself. I quite like this viewpoint, which has the makings of a great scene once all the basic railway infrastructure is complete.

Be pleased to hear from any who knew how the depot was actually operated as to whether I’ve got these details right. Otherwise hope it was of interest.

‘Robert’

• Like 16

Thanks Fen,

Yes, I do have a copy of LNER Album Vol 3. I don't have it to hand but will check the pages you mention at the weekend. Is one of them the K3 with the Cattle Train at South box? I also have Vol.1 - I love the picture of the driver of an A1(A3) leaning out of the cab window about as far as his torso will allow him, obviously looking back for the guard's 'tip' before departing northbound. Wonderful stuff!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Terry,

Don't worry, I am a true red at heart(!) and - god willing - Carlisle will be a reality one day. I'm just very patient, that's all, and am happy to wait a few years before making a start. In the mean time, I'm loving the green and teak sabatical and the challenge of portraying a different era.

I'll start a different thread one day re Carlisle so you'll be able to see it from the first planning thoughts (I already have a fair idea of what I'm going to attempt). But, as I say, a few years down the road yet.

There is a model of Carlisle in EM under construction and a lot of people on RM web have contributed to it - see some photos below

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57098-bridge-deck-carlisle-crown-street-goods

Its big and scary!

• Like 1

Hi Barry,

Wow - that IS scary! I love the way a casual request for information reveals a humungous 30m x 6m layout :mosking: There certainly seems to be no stopping people going for 'ultimate' representations of real locations these days. Thanks for pointing out.

My approach to Carlisle will be quite different so that it could never be called a 'clone'!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Being Em is a bit of a time extender - but it does seem to "eat" stock - one of the pictures show 2 CoBos on a "Condor" - it looks tiny!

Some of the locos are in my gallery as Mike asked me to weather them = its a great honour as I know some of the very, very good modellers building various bits for the layout - locos, coaches, signals, building and - not least - signals

barry

Thanks Barry,

Had a look at your workbench; nice work. The ink and powders approach is certainly interesting. Looks like EM Carlisle has a powerful team behind it; I (and I'm sure plenty of others) look forward to seeing it get more complete as time goes on.

Weathering hasn't been a priority on Grantham yet (I think I better concentrate on getting the basic layout complete first!). However, if you look at my other thread just started today (link below) then you should be able to detect that I am not averse to weathering(!)

There is one vehicle however that I have done some weathering on as I wanted to enter it into a competition:

post-16151-0-65525300-1354812522_thumb.jpg

I was a bit stuck though when I came to the roof as you don't tend to find too manyprototype pictures taken from a sufficiently high up vantage point to show this sort of detail. However, I happened to visit the SVR during this time and took the following picture (from the new footbridge at Highley):

post-16151-0-14162300-1354812757_thumb.jpg

Just goes to show that, even in the rare-ified preservation world, white-painted roofs don't stay white for very long! As well as the shade of grey (obviously accumulated soot), I was struck by how the dirt had particularly gathered round the roof ventilators, so this gave me the inspiration I needed. This was the result:

post-16151-0-01271800-1354813048_thumb.jpg

It can't have been too bad as I won a prize! And doesn't it show how the other roof needs something doing to it? They can't all be 'just out of shops'!

Finally, can't resist finishing this post with the following picture:

post-16151-0-50691100-1354812947_thumb.jpg

What an absolutely fantastic piece of coach restoration this is. And a genuine GNR survivor. I love the semi-compartment half way along marking the division between the two classes. Plenty of coaches like this during my era, mixing it with the more 'modern' Gresley teaks so somehow need to find a way of working one or two kit builds of these into the overall scheme of things!

• Like 14

LNER 4479 said :

What an absolutely fantastic piece of coach restoration this is. And a genuine GNR survivor. I love the semi-compartment half way along marking the division between the two classes.

Fantastic indeed...I havent seen it in service before. Lovely shot. A similar 4mm scale GNR coach with a half-compartment can be obtained from Kemilway for those interested....

post-6680-0-42692300-1354814957.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Robert, glad my weathering is OK

I like the 6 wheeler (and so does her indoors!)

Good photos of the roof details - as you say not often you see any. I have some photos of the Gresley stock on the NYMR which I will try and upload from my old computer - they have a bit of roof detail

The ink wash does help to get detail to stand out - especially doors etc

barry

Good to see all of the banter going on here; where would we be without a sense of humour?

However nice a man Dave tetleys is (and I've only ever exchanged brief pleasantries with him), don't listen to him when he suggests that Carlisle should become York! We don't have enough WCML prototypes modelled and Carlisle should be a stonker! I did sketch out a plan or two myself, but rapidly concluded that I would need a deal more room than I had got or was ever likely to get, so it became consigned to the dustbin of my fantasies. You, however, seem to have a superb opportunity with your new building, so go for it!

All the best

Terry D

Terry D,

Tetleys here and I resent what you are implying, how dare you suggest I'm a nice man. Good God Sir, don't you realise what time of year it is?

If my grandkids break the parental guidance filter on my lap top and log on to RMWeb they'll start expecting Christmas presents, not to mention my wife!

Actually, my new layout although still based in Great Northern territory will be hosting those LMS types from Carlisle since I have chosen to re-write history (no, I'm not a politician). Instead of being at each other's throats the Midland, L & Y and G.N. actually cooperated towards the end of the 19th century and a cross Bradford high level line was finally built linking up with a new direct G.N.line to Wakefield and suffice to say there will be occasions when the Midland Region's Scotland to St. Pancras via Bradford trains will be diverted along my layout re-joining the Midland line at Oakenshaw South Junction.

Returning to Grantham the Streamliner years, Coachman asked about the radius of the Peco double slip, I didn't spot an answer but if they are only 2' radius I am re-assured since my locos and stock have been negotiating these slips without problems on Tetleys Mills so it augers well for my own new layout over which I was concerned since I've had to use much tighter radii than my planned 3' ideal. The stock on Grantham much of it appears hand built obviously have no problems with 2' radius if that is the case.

The Grinch.

• Like 1

You were luckier than me on seeing the LNER set on the SVR. Sadly all I saw of them was when passing in the other direction on a beautiful GWR Coach at one of the stations.

I had better luck with the NYMR set earlier this year. !!

First visit to the SVR recomended to anyone who hasnt visited.

Edited by micklner

I was lucky enough to ride in the SVR GNR coach shortly after it re-entered service. I'd had a good pint in the bar, the sun was shinning, it was my birthday and we travelled in the half compartment as I liked the quirky arrangement.

Edited by Anglian

I travelled back from Blackpool in an LMS half compartment with a girlfriend once. Supposed to be a courting couples dream but we'd have had more fun travelling in a lavatory than looking at a polished wooden wall, so we moved!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

LNER 4479 said :

Fantastic indeed...I havent seen it in service before. Lovely shot. A similar 4mm scale GNR coach with a half-compartment can be obtained from Kemilway for those interested....

post-6680-0-42692300-1354814957.jpg

Coach,

Is the GNR coach from Kemilway with the half compartment the 61'6'' 249B/277B diagram, if so I will have to order one to go with the Kemilway GNR 58'6'' brake I am currently building. Love these Kemilway coaches but a lot of hard work to construct.

SteveT

• Like 1

another very impresive layout. you certainly like building big layouts if it ends up having the atmostphere of your last it could be legendary :no: