Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

You forgot the mighty Kings of the western!

No offence intended (honest). My excuse being that the Kings dated from slightly earlier (1927) hence during the period of my project (1935-1939) it very much LMS vs LNER. However, both of course had already benefitted from the GWR influence - the A4's wouldn't have been the loco they were without the earlier development of the A1's/A3's following the exchange trials with the Castle; meanwhile the best thing that ever came out of Swindon was 'gifted' to the LMS in 1932 in the shape of one Mr Stanier(!) who proved to be the man to sort out the LMS loco policy. I've read a couple of biographies of the great man and I was especially fascinated to read of his personal involvement with 6000, including taking it to America in 1927 for the Baltimore & Ohio celebrations. Apparently the Yanks could not believe how quiet it was when in motion, a testament to the extremely high standard of construction - even a certain Mr Ford came to see for himself! Wouldn't you loved to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation? Heady days indeed.

• Like 5

Fair point about the build date (don't forget who built the first pacific in the uk...)

The only thing the GWR never managed was streamlining, the stick on stuff on the test king looked horrible! The Silver Jubilee must have looked like something from outer space when it debuted, and the articulated paired coaches sharing a single bogey pre date the ones on the Shinkansen by 30+ years and those were heralded as revolutionary. The period you have picked is probably one of the most interesting in British railway history, as the huge contrast between the space age stream liners and the Victorian infrastructure and slightly ramshackle every day stock and workings makes interesting viewing.

• Like 1

Back to the modelling methinks! First of all, though, how about this for inspiration?

post-16151-0-99905000-1346527556_thumb.jpg

I came across this recently flicking through a book about Stafford (No.22 in the Foxline ‘Scenes from the Past’ series). What a gorgeous sight and, although not a train to/from Grantham itself, the service is in essence part of the same network of local services. Indeed in GNR days there was a direct Grantham-Stafford service, but by LNER days it appears that the service was effectively split at Derby. I am however pretty confident that this is typical of the motive power and stock for local services in my era.

post-16151-0-90380900-1346527593_thumb.jpg

As you can see, this is the London Road Models kit for a D2 (non-superheated version). So far I have a working chassis and part completed body.

post-16151-0-70509600-1346527631_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the body superstructure, showing the elegant lines starting to take shape. Soldering as usual looks a bit of a ‘glob up’ at this stage but should clean up OK. The valancing will be released from the fold up cradle in due course. The boiler barrel is just positioned for the photograph at this stage, no work having been done on it as such yet.

post-16151-0-34934400-1346527676_thumb.jpg

And here is part of its train to be, a Howlden 45foot non-corridor Brake Third. This is essentially a Bill Bedford kit, with bogie sides from Dart castings and a small amount of scratchbuilding on the underframe. I also have a composite vehicle in the same style under construction. All manner of combinations of these and the 6-wheel stock seemed to be the basis of the local services in my era, as the first picture perfectly illustrates.

We’re well outside RTR territory here(!) so thanks to kit providers like London Road and Bill Bedford for being able to assemble trains like these. I’ll let you know how the build progresses in future postings.

‘Robert’

• Like 16

Hello Robert (and all),

I've gathered snippets of information here and there which may help to answer or elaborate upon a few points of detail.

...black bess at the yard signal box was a lower semaphore signals up to the early 1950s then converted to upper semaphore till the mid 1960s then removed to colour light signal.

I can't say when the conversion from somersault to upper quadrant semaphore arms took place, but this signal had become a colour light by by 13/9/1958 (ref. a dated photo in Steam World No.263. May 2009, p23 lower); note also that in May 1953 there was a distant arm on the lower branch signal doll (as well as on the main) - see http://www.a1steam.c...names&Itemid=69

post-16151-0-48895900-1344816443_thumb.jpg

This picture illustrates the conundrum. Grantham was of course famous for the iron ore traffic originating at High Dyke, some five miles to the south. The archetypal image is of an O2 with a train of steel bodied mineral wagons. But this 1930’s view (passing Grantham south box) appears to be very different. For a start it’s an O4 – apparently, the O2s were only drafted onto the iron ore traffic after the war, having been displaced from their longer distance workings – and it’s a completely uniform rake of, well, what looks to be the RTR iron ore hopper wagon above! Can anyone confirm this? And what could be the lettering on the wagons in this picture? Or perhaps this is a complete red herring!

Well, hope you’ve enjoyed this canter through some of my stock considerations. Any comments and information you may have will be most welcome as always.

‘Robert’

A train of these hopper wagons used for the ironstone traffic can be seen in the background of a colour photograph taken at Grantham in 1946 which appeared on the cover of BackTrack Vol.11 No.10 (Oct 1997). I don't have my copy in front of me, but I think the lettering is visible. [The wagons used for this traffic by the 1960s were iron ore tippler wagons and not, strictly speaking, standard mineral wagons. Although of approximately the same external dimensions as the BR standard 16T mineral wagons, the iron ore tipplers carried a much heavier load (27 or 28 tons), they had no doors, and they had axle bearings that woudn't lose lubricating oil when the wagon was inverted for discharge.]

I'm the 'founder' of the Returning to Grantham thread on the LNER Forum and, if I may say so, I think your modelling of Grantham in the 1930s is absolutely breathtaking in both its ambition and its achievement. I have a few more pictures of the station and its environs taken in the early 1960s which aren't on that thread. Though they may not be of so much use to you as other, earlier, material you have clearly worked hard to discover, or Roy's photos of the down side buildings, if there are any specific locations where more reference is needed let me know and I'll see what I have.

By the way, have you seen BackTrack Vol.10, No.5 (May 1996) pages 276-277 - some colour photographs of various station buildings?

Edited by 61070
  • Like 2

Loco and coach looking very good, Mr. Magnificent. There used to be some pictures of the interior of the Howlden coach which runs on the SVR on the web, but they seem to have vanished. Perhaps someone else on here can point them out - I'd like to know where they are for building mine.

Hello 61070,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond on my behalf and thanks also for your kind and encouraging comments. Can I also say what a great source of information the 'Returning to Grantham' thread has been in my research. Even though most of the information relates to the post-war era, you'd be amazed how the odd glimpse of a detail in the background of a photo can become another piece of the jigsaw.

I'm fairly certain that 'black bess' was fitted with upper quadrant arms by c.1937, hence why I have modelled it in this state. There are several pictures from about that time showing upper quadrant, the most 'famous' of which is that below (the most requested slide in the Colour Rail collection, apparently!)

post-16151-0-15675200-1346654513_thumb.jpg

This can of course be no earlier than 1935 (year loco was built) and no later than 1937-8 (by which time she'd lost her silver livery for garter blue). You are quite correct about the distant arm on the junction (as opposed to mainline) post. Unfortunately, I spotted that only after I'd made the darn thing. I'm claiming 'compromise' for this one!

Re the iron ore wagons, I think the photo you're referring to is the one of the ex-works A3 in 1946 standing in the down loco change siding. If so the iron ore wagon in the background is lettered 'LMS'! Not quite sure what to make of that?! Possibly the wagons had become so hopelessly 'muddled up' during the chaos of the war years that anything could be seen anywhere. I do agree though that it looks to be of the same type.

Yes, I am aware that there is a copy of BackTrack I need to hunt down. Just a case of keeping a look out for it or perhaps an internet search when I can get round to it. If I'm missing any views then it is possibly around the back of the station buildings area (where there was a water tank apparently?), views of the 'down' (island) platform taken from the 'up' platform and the horse dock/plat 1 area with the canopy in position (it collapsed in the harsh winter of 1947 - I think I found that out from your thread as well!), plus any goods yard details (as opposed to general views). Overall though, helped enormously by your thread, I'm pretty comfortable with what I have now. Just need to get on and finish it now!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2

That's a nice shot of 2509.

Yes, the photo showing the train of (apparently) LMS-lettered hopper wagons, loaded with ironstone, on the down main line is indeed the one with No.2582 Sir Hugo on the engine spur.

That picture also shows, behind the scene, a section of the canopy you mention - the structure that extended north from the up side station buildings along platforms 1 and 2 until it collapsed with the weight of snow in 1947. It can be seen in the photo at page 47 (top) in Cawston and also in one of Rev T.B. Parley’s early Edwardian era photos of Grantham station which has appeared in at least two publications – Steam Days No.211 (March 2007) page 137 and, with three further photographs taken at Grantham in the same period, in Archive (published by Lightmoor Press) Issue 1 (March 1994) on page 40. I expect you will be aware of these but, if you aren’t, they may provide some more clues for you. The loss of the canopy may well explain the different style of gas lamp that could be seen in the 1950s/early 1960s along the north end of the up platform, compared with elsewhere on the station; these most likely being installed to replace older lighting destroyed in the collapse.

Incidentally, I’ve found the Vintage Carriages Trust to be excellent for supplying the occasional back number copy of magazines. Their shop can be emailed from http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/Shops.htm , and I’ve always received a reply within a few days.

The BackTrack issue of May 1996 does include a shot of the water tower.

I haven’t much that can help further with your quest for detail. Attached is a shot taken through one of the gaps between the buildings on the down side - it's not the sharpest of images. I’ve another, in b/w, which shows the staircase to the footbridge, but it’s quite a ‘thin’ (i.e. underexposed) negative and I’ll need to have another try at obtaining a decent scan.

post-16222-0-74092000-1346716735_thumb.jpg

There’s a shot taken in the down side goods yard here:

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10443415&itemw=4&itemf=0001&itemstep=1&itemx=3

• Like 3

Hello Robert

I have just picked up your superb Grantham thread. Modelling that I aspire to.

Looking in particular at you Goods shed - what did you construct the canopies from?

Regards

Derek

Thanks Derek for kind comments. The canopies on the goods shed are nothing more that cardboard and plasticard and are an example of my 'guesstimation' approach. Being round the back (and therefore largely out of sight in most pictures) I only had a few shreds of detail to go on. However, I eventually realised that the basic configuration was of a central building (office?), flanked by canopies either side (which thus use the walls of the brick building as support). So each (canopy) is formed of just three pieces of thick (grey) card - a 'front' face, a side face and a roof piece. I arranged the roof piece to slope towards the building for drainage (I figured that a more fancy peaked roof with skylights, etc would be OTT for a goods shed?). I then found a plasticard offcut, scribed with parallel lines (to represent planking) in my plasticard n card rack (never throw away the backing card from shirt packs or the card from photograph envelopes!) and just cut V notches along the bottom to match the spacing of the lines. Fix over the cardboard and paint. The Keith Pirt Grantham colour book has a picture on page 38 of No.14 departing southbound - and lo and behold in the background he has fortuitously caught the south elevation of the goods shed which clearly shows the canopy at that end.

Loco and coach looking very good, Mr. Magnificent.

Thanks Jonathan. Perhaps I should explain to those who may be puzzling over this apparent outbreak of sycophancy(!) that this is actually an oblique reference to my RMWeb call sign, LNER4479. The racehorse name 'Robert the Devil' was taken from the name of William the Conqueror's father (ref. Cawston p.19) who, according to my British Heraldry wall chart, was also known as 'Robert the Magnificent'. Phew - glad we got that one straightened out. Who says that an interest in railways doesn't give you an education?!

'Robert'

Edited by LNER4479

That picture also shows, behind the scene, a section of the canopy you mention - the structure that extended north from the up side station buildings along platforms 1 and 2 until it collapsed with the weight of snow in 1947. It can be seen in the photo at page 47 (top) in Cawston and also in one of Rev T.B. Parley’s early Edwardian era photos of Grantham station which has appeared in at least two publications – Steam Days No.211 (March 2007) page 137 and, with three further photographs taken at Grantham in the same period, in Archive (published by Lightmoor Press) Issue 1 (March 1994) on page 40. I expect you will be aware of these but, if you aren’t, they may provide some more clues for you. The loss of the canopy may well explain the different style of gas lamp that could be seen in the 1950s/early 1960s along the north end of the up platform, compared with elsewhere on the station; these most likely being installed to replace older lighting destroyed in the collapse.

I haven’t much that can help further with your quest for detail. Attached is a shot taken through one of the gaps between the buildings on the down side - it's not the sharpest of images. I’ve another, in b/w, which shows the staircase to the footbridge, but it’s quite a ‘thin’ (i.e. underexposed) negative and I’ll need to have another try at obtaining a decent scan.

There’s a shot taken in the down side goods yard here:

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10443415&itemw=4&itemf=0001&itemstep=1&itemx=3

Thanks very much 61070 for further information. Just unpicking all that a bit:

Yes, I have the Cawston book so indeed picture on p.47 (J54 pilot attaching a horsebox) shows the canopy. I also have a slightly clearer copy of this picture as it appeared in the Locomotives Illustrated magazine that featured some of the LNER tank engine classes.

Yes, I have the March 2007 Steam Days article so again the Rev Parley picture shows the canopy. On this photo, it seems clear that the 'legs' on the far (east) side of the canopy appear to have be 'planted' at ground level in the gap between platform 1 and the horsebox landing (ie such that the canopy did not cover the latter). Would that be correct?

Haven't seen the 1994 'Archive' so that sounds like a useful one to hunt down - thanks.

In terms of the north end of the 'up' (southbound) platform and the different lamps, my research shows that there were alterations here post war, including removal of the trailing connection from the platform 1/horse landing area to the 'up' main (which I'm assuming the above-mentioned J54 would have used to attach the horsebox). This and other associated pointwork appear to have been removed in connection the extension of the Up platform. Post-war era pictures clearly show a step-up in the platform at this point as the extension was built to a more modern higher level, whereas the existing platform was quite low. This in itself might explain the different lighting fitted.

I've previously seen the picture looking between the down side platform buildings (very attractively framing the A4 beyond!) on your LNER Forum thread and this amongst others was one of the pictures that convinced me that all the buildings on this side were of wood! Looking at this again, in comparison with Roy@34F's pictures I'm struggling to work out where along the platform this is?! The b/w one showing the staircase sounds interesting if you are able to scan it.

Yes, the picture of the down side goods yard is gorgeous isn't it? In another of my reference books, 'Grantham and Railways' by Frank Cossey, there is another picture of the train shown shortly after it had set off, captured in Spitalgate cutting, the big round headboard proudly proclaiming 'Hotpoint washing machines for Australia'! Obviously a 'red letter day' for the official photographer... and a sad reminder of what we have lost from the days of the common carrier railway.

Sounds good!! but I would think this is more likely a name source ?

http://en.wikipedia....e_Devil_(horse)

To clarify - the racehorse 'Robert the Devil' was (apparently!) named after William the Conqueror's father (the wikipedia entry does not appear to comment on the origin of the horse's name) . The LNER then named 4479 after the racehorse 'Robert the Devil' (ie a two-stage process to get from the Norman Conquest to a Gresley A1!)

I once went to the museum at the Newmarket racecourse - and found myself surrounded by the names of Gresley pacifics. It was great!

• Like 2

Hello again Robert,

Sorry to distract you from progress with the layout, but I hope the following is (mostly) useful and, if not, at least interesting!

Platforms 1 & 2 north end canopy

From the appearance and locations of the canopy support columns in the Parley photograph in Steam Days I’m sure you’re right about the easternmost row of pillars being between the two tracks. Thinking about it, in structural terms I don’t think it would have been possible to design a canopy which was solely supported by columns mounted on the platform – it’s not broad enough for two sufficiently widely spaced rows of columns while still leaving adequate clearance from both platform edges.

It appears that the track serving platform 1 is therefore covered, ‘train shed’ style, by the canopy and platform 2 is shaded by a section of the canopy which overhangs the westernmost row of columnns, in a similar (though not exactly the same, in either length or cross-section) manner to the opposite down side, platforms 4 and 3 (where a 'bolt-on' awning appears to have been provided for platform 3 as a bit of an afterthought).

I’ve compared the 17 June 1902 photographs published in Steam Days and in Archive. The Steam Days image has reproduced better, so that more detail is revealed in both shadows and highlights. Therefore you’ll not pick up any more information about the canopy by looking at the Archive publication – though there are two (not three – my mistake) other photos of Grantham station from 1902.

However, I can see now that the photograph published in Archive is actually a different image from the one in Steam Days. The camera is set up in exactly the same place and the same locomotive and train is at platform 3, but in the view published in Archive the train has just begun to move away – it’s slightly nearer the photographer and the first puff of exhaust is leaving the chimney. The two women walking north along platform 2 in Steam Days are right at the left hand edge of the Archive photograph, confirming that it was taken a few seconds later. This may be of little significance so far as the canopy is concerned, but it has set me thinking that perhaps there may be even more of Parley’s pictures somewhere. In Archive they are credited to ‘the collection of John Tatchel’, and the text is acknowledged jointly to him and the secretary of the GNR Society, a Richard Tarpey. Have you had any contact with that Society?

In terms of the post-war remodelling of the bay connections and the extension of the platform I do now recall reading some discussion of that.

Down side platform buildings

I’ve now fully ‘taken in’ Roy’s photographs and I have to say that you and he have quite ‘made my day’, because I’ve been able to pinpoint the locations of two more of my father’s photos which, until now, were simply at ‘unknown locations’ on Grantham station – see later.

First, however, the A4 (+ WD and ‘Peak’) photo. This was taken through the gap between the northernmost (brick) building and the wooden structure to its south. If you follow the silhouette of the edge of the right hand building against the sky (above the roof of the Peak) you can just discern the regular indentations of the mortar courses.

Here’s the staircase photo as good as I can get it. It was taken on 5th September 1963. Note that the phone kiosk is an older style, and may well date from ‘your’ era.

post-16222-0-63911700-1346966439_thumb.jpg

The northernmost brick building housed the down side refreshment room and it had a large clock face mounted externally on platform 3 – see my photo of 92044 posted 25 August 2010:

http://www.lner.info...&p=34059#p34059

The clock was presumably two-faced, though I don’t have any photos which show the north-facing side.

Here’s a glimpse of the door of the refreshment room on platform 3 (9th April 1964):

post-16222-0-92900900-1346967200_thumb.jpg

This next one was taken (on 18th April 1963) on platform 5, I think towards the south end of the southernmost of the two brick buildings:

post-16222-0-93318700-1346966771_thumb.jpg

The above is one of the two photos which Roy’s pictures have helped me to locate; and here’s the other (22 August 1963) – in the background is the ‘modesty screen’ between platforms 3 and 5 outside the entrance to the gents’.

post-16222-0-31122700-1346967358_thumb.jpg

Note that Roy’s photos were taken after the platforms were renumbered, but I’ve used the numbering which applied in the early 1960s.

I hadn’t seen or heard about ‘Grantham and the Railways’ but I have already ordered a copy!

It’s really amazing what still turns up – I really thought I’d pretty much reached the end of the road on researching my pictures.

Edited by 61070
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I hadn’t seen or heard about ‘Grantham and the Railways’ but I have already ordered a copy!

It’s really amazing what still turns up – I really thought I’d pretty much reached the end of the road on researching my pictures.

In the same series of 'Bygone Grantham' books there is one called 'The Grantham Rail Crash of 1906' by Harold Bonnett (1978) ISBN 0 906338 05 0 that will also be of interest and although not the period you are modelling, there is a detailed map of the area around the Harlaxton Road bridge showing the track layout and where the various carriages ended up when they left the track and went down the embankment. The book also has lots of photos that appeared in the newspapers at that time.

Another book 'Windows on Grantham' has a collection of photos by local professional photographer Chris Windows, with two railway photos. On 3 Aug 1948 a parcels train from Edinburgh hit the rear of a train of empty iron ore wagons on the North Parade embankment and the photo shows a wagon in the air wedged on the streamlined front of an A4. the other is RAF personnel helping to clear the wreckage after the weight of snow in 46/47 caused part of the station roof to collapse onto the line. Photo shows some of the ornate ironwork from the canopy being cut up. ISBN 0 906338 13 1 published in 1985.

There are several more 'Bygone Grantham' books and also 'Grantham in the News' by John Pinchbeck of the Grantham Journal but I have already missed my breakfast and am late for work so that research will have to wait for another day !!

Mike

Sorry to distract you from progress with the layout, but I hope the following is (mostly) useful and, if not, at least interesting!

Just a quick acknowledgement for now 61070 to say thanks enormously for taking the time to put this further information together. I'll respond more fully when I have more time

In the same series of 'Bygone Grantham' books there is one called 'The Grantham Rail Crash of 1906' by Harold Bonnett (1978) ISBN 0 906338 05 0 that will also be of interest and although not the period you are modelling, there is a detailed map of the area around the Harlaxton Road bridge showing the track layout and where the various carriages ended up when they left the track and went down the embankment. The book also has lots of photos that appeared in the newspapers at that time.

Thanks, Mike - more leads for me to follow up!

I do have some information and pictures about the 1906 Grantham crash - Railway Magazine published an article some years ago which contained some pictures (probably the ones you refer to). But a really interesting alternative source is via the railways archive website (www.railwaysarchive.co.uk) where you can search for accident reports and the 1906 Grantham report is there, including the detailed diagrams of the location that you refer to.

These reports can be a mine of information for research. I found another accident report, which occurred at Barkston in 1936, whereby two light engines, returning light from Peterborough to York, collided with the rear of a ballast train. And the locos? They were only a pair of ex-NER Atlantics, if you please! (Nos 2198 & 2199). More kit building beckons, methinks!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now looked at six volumes of 'Bygone Grantham' with no railway content - mostly showing old shops and pubs etc.

However 'Grantham in Focus' (Vol 1) compiled by John Pinchbeck in 2007 (ISBN 978 1 84547 142 2) has a 6 page section 'Focus on the Railway' with 13 photos -

4 of the station in 1985,

Peascliffe in 1983,

Spitalgate in 1982,

loco no 63982 being cut up for scrap in 1962,

60121 with driver Shields and fireman Cunnington in 1955,

unknown loco taking water in 1964,

unknown loco and goods train in the station in 1964,

92041 on a train of open wagons again in 1964 but the caption says that this loco would have been clean and painted in LNER green before the war (!!!),

60929 heading south past the good yard in 1964

Coaling Tower looking very empty and unused in 1964 before demolition

Grantham in Focus Vol 2 doesn't have any railway content and the other two Pinchbeck books I have are Grantham in the News 51-75 and 76-2000 which contain a selection of news items in date order and as they don't cover your era, I haven't looked through these.

Hope that helps

Mike

Thanks for the book suggestions Mike. Sorry about the missed breakfast - I hope you enjoyed a decent lunch!

I don't think I've seen the books by Harold Bonnett and Chris Windows so I will look out for them.

I think I must have seen Grantham in Focus (Vol. 1) though - probably at the town's library - as I too remember squirming at that comment about the 9F in LNER green (how weird would that look!); I'll see if I can get hold of a copy cheaply.

I do have Grantham in the News 1951-75 and have just looked through it; I can confirm that there's nothing in it which would help this project.

The Changing Face of Grantham, a hardback published in 2004 in association with The Grantham Journal, with captions by John Pinchbeck, has two potentially useful pictures on page 79:

top photo - a view in the down side goods yard which may give some guidance, if required, on track layout;

bottom photo - a gleaming A3 (identity not evident, though it would have been on the original print) heading a 'Barford special' which shows the south elevation of the goods shed in the (rather distant) background [the load is 32 dyke cleaners - now that could have all kinds of unintended meanings in modern times!].

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Happy to help - I had forgotten about 'Changing Face of Grantham' but that's on the bookcase as well. The interior of the ticket office in 1985 is the same photo and a couple of the others look to have been taken at the same time as those in the other book - 63982 being scrapped for example.

The mention of the train for Barfords has taken me to another of the 'Bygone Grantham' series; 'The Rise and Fall of Aveling Barford' which shows another special train load of dump trucks for Egypt in 1963 and says that it was the largest train ever to leave AB - not a brilliant photo but there are at least 22 trucks in view. Commemorative headboard covers the loco number!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robert

It's been a while since I've been on - I run a B&B here in Canada and it's pretty busy in the summer! It's been great catching up with the news.

Thats spooky JCL! Do you remember the 'A C Whittington' general store by the 90deg bend in the A52 at the Skegness end of Wainfleet? That was run by my grandmother and thus where we used to stay in the 1970's. And do you remember the minah bird in the hardware store in the market square?!

I remember it well. I was in Wainfleet a few weeks ago and saw the garden where the the shop was. Unfortunately it was demolished by a truck quite some time ago. I used to go in there as a kid for bags of flumps - very dangerous it was as well, especially in the summer as it was on that 90 degree corner on the main road to Skegness. I remember she was a very nice lady who was always kind to kids.

cheers

Jason.

• Like 1

Been out of circulation for a few days so quite enjoyed catching up with ongoing discussion(!). Thanks for efforts on my behalf in further research although it appears it's been good fun in it's own right which is great.

The people pictures are fantastic, John (61070). Did I gather correctly that they were taken by your father? They seem to be in a similar style to others on the LNER Forum thread. Your father clearly had a real eye for capturing the character of a person in a natural 'pose'; they're a wonderful social record. Did his subjects always know they were being photographed I wonder?

The photo of the bottom of the stairs may be a bit dark but there's still plenty of details there (eg the centre handrail down the steps). Yes, I keep meaning to getting round to joining the GNR Society; I am aware that they're currently running a series of articles on the track layout and signalling through Grantham over the years so yet more useful information there even though much of mine is already been decided.

Thanks to yourself and Mike for all the additional information and details. All gratefully received.

'Robert'

• Like 1

I remember it well. I was in Wainfleet a few weeks ago and saw the garden where the the shop was. Unfortunately it was demolished by a truck quite some time ago. I used to go in there as a kid for bags of flumps - very dangerous it was as well, especially in the summer as it was on that 90 degree corner on the main road to Skegness. I remember she was a very nice lady who was always kind to kids.

Thanks JCL, that's nice. My Mum will enjoy reading that comment. You thought it was dangerous? Imagine what it was like trying to sleep in the first floor front bedroom, listening to the lorry engines changing down gear as they approached the corner... Interesting childhood memories!

• Like 1