Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

using the single slip that John's (61070) research unearthed in an earlier post.

Funny you should mention that, because I was just about to draw attention to a recently-posted photo on the LNER Forum which shows most of the south end of the station layout from the lofty viewpoint of the Yard Box down home signal.

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8262

OK it's late 1950s or early '60s, but if you up the magnification you can see the two arms of the elusive platform 5 up starter and maybe other items of interest.  I think that's the water tower (previously discussed) on the right, its tank visible over the top of the goods shed's canopy.

Edited by 61070
  • Like 1

No need to apologise for 'steamy things' - infinitely preferable than boxes on wheels (even the ones that go 'vrrooom') :tomato:

I agree, but both chuffers and oil cans tend to get in the way of the interesting stuff!  :devil:

Here is one where quite a lot of the infrastructure is visible, in spite of the engine!

post-6509-0-73738200-1358457224.jpg

A4 60006 'Sir Ralph Wedgewood' leaving Grantham with a London train on 27.09.1953. The tall up line signal bracket was replaced shortly afterwards.

• Like 6

Funny you should mention that, because I was just about to draw attention to a recently-posted photo on the LNER Forum which shows most of the south end of the station layout from the lofty viewpoint of the Yard Box down home signal.

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8262

OK it's late 1950s or early '60s, but if you up the magnification you can see the two arms of the elusive platform 5 up starter and maybe other items of interest.

Thanks John for highlighting these new postings.

I agree that the one of the south end is especially full of detail. I've yet to study carefully but looks great.

I'm minded to take a couple of phots of the model from same vantage points and see how they look!

Here is one where quite a lot of the infrastructure is visible, in spite of the engine!

attachicon.gifGrantham 60006.jpg

A4 60006 'Sir Ralph Wedgewood' leaving Grantham with a London train on 27.09.1953. The tall up line signal bracket was replaced shortly afterwards.

Another cracking picture, Andy,

If you look carefully at the signal bracketry, you can see that some strengthening bracing bars have been added (these are not apparent on pre-war pictures). Looks like the poor thing had suffered from the effects of years of acidic smoke corrosion and had been patched up to survive this far!

Lovely photos again Andy (I can see the walls of the old chapel being adorned with images such as these).

Meantime here's another seam of potentially helpful photographic evidence (unless you've already got to it):

Glimpse of (I think) the east side of the 'new shed', though as rebuilt/reclad postwar (May 1961):

http://railwayanamichael.com/product_info.php?products_id=334

View towards station from coaling plant, including some remaining 'old shed' workshops etc. (Oct 1964):

http://railwayanamichael.com/product_info.php?cPath=271_1_24_188&products_id=151

Site of turning triangle from colaing plant (Oct 1964) - not the right period for the model but relevant to recent discussion:

http://railwayanamichael.com/product_info.php?cPath=271_1_24_188&products_id=150

The images aren't large enough to reveal very much useful detail - I think the site owner is looking to make some money from selling prints!

• Like 1

Lovely photos again Andy (I can see the walls of the old chapel being adorned with images such as these).

Your not kidding there John! Great shots of a great occasion.

Thanks for latest 'finds'. The middle of the three looks like it could be the most useful; views from above, showing station roof detail always a challenge to find.

• Like 1

Time for some more pictures of the model methinks!

Coincident with the heated debate raging elsewhere on this forum regarding prototype layouts (or not), I hope these pictures reveal a lighter side of life at Grantham. I was blessed with a visitation by the not-so-little-anymore people on Sunday. My son was seeing the layout in its new home for the first time (as well as seeing it fully assembled for the first time for that matter). Suitably impressed he then asked 'where's "North British"?' (a loco previously bought for his layout when he was 'nobbut a lad'). As I too have more recently purchased one of those funny non-Gresley A1's (purely in the name of 'all to a good cause' you understand) we had an impromptu Peppercorn fest. :senile:

post-16151-0-02734000-1358809866_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-49406500-1358809951_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-06084000-1358809994_thumb.jpg

I'm particularly looking forward to more shots from this lower vantage point (not far off where the Atlantics are in Andy's second picture above!) once there's a bit more detail and 'blending in' to hand (not forgetting the old headlamps!)

post-16151-0-46556600-1358810027_thumb.jpg

Don't worry! Not about to contemplate a time shift - this is all in the name of a 'bit of fun' :mosking:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 16

First of all, if I may…

Like many other RMWebbers I suspect, the news of Dave ‘Tetleys’ Shakespeare’s desperately sad situation over the weekend has left me a little deflated and not really in the mood for putting together a new posting. Conversely, perhaps he would like to know that others are ‘cracking on with it’ in terms of one’s own project. I have read GN’s Peterborough North posting of today since first drafting this and therefore post this very much in that spirit.

The odd spare moment over the last week or so has been spent tracklaying (always a favourite pastime) on the new board, concentrating on the tracks for the ‘down’ goods yard. I decided that I really needed these tracks properly in place before finalising the position of the (more interesting?) shed building.

post-16151-0-23619300-1359394734_thumb.jpg

This proved to be more challenging than anticipated. I wanted to include a representation of a coal merchants yard via a ‘kick back’ siding, so beloved of us modellers. Happily, the prototype trackplan and various photos indicate that there were in fact several in this area of the goods yard so I’m happy with that as a representation of the real thing.

post-16151-0-53720300-1359394998_thumb.jpg

However, this all proved far trickier than I was expecting. As you can see from this (second) photo, there is limited space available (due to the proximity of the east side wall of the shed) for this feature and adjacent entrance roadway so as they look ‘believable’. I have some flexibility to move the shed building but then it starts to cramp the outside sheer legs road on the opposite side. You can see that I have also had to delay the turnouts for the final two sidings (thus making them shorter) in order to get the siding in as shown.

What I will have to do as a consequence of all this is to install the roadway in a slightly different position to that envisaged, which will involve some minor surgery to the new baseboard structure; this is so I can create a space (albeit very cramped) for a coal lorry (horse n cart more like!) to get alongside the coal wagons. All that having been said, I quite like the look of it as it has ended up. My good lady was quick to point out that a buffer stop is an urgent requirement for this siding!

post-16151-0-44936600-1359395423_thumb.jpg

Here I am up to my usual tricks again. These two short radius points have been subject to the usual butchery to close up the track centres, as I wanted the troublesome coal siding (bottom right) to be as close to the adjacent road as possible. I’ve experimented here by being selective and careful with which sleepers I cut away and in fact the end of the rails from one point, engage in the chair of the end sleeper of the other point. I have therefore dispensed with rail joiners and just soldered a small length of wire across the rail joint to strengthen it (and maintain electrical continuity). Although they scale up to a murderously tight radius, I quite like the use of a short radius point in a goods yard as they give a nice contrast to the other larger radius pointwork (which are also, in truth, murderously tight compared to what they purport to represent). All part of the ‘consistent compromise’ approach.

post-16151-0-40811000-1359395823_thumb.jpg

Quite like this view from the opposite end of the goods yard. The nature of the southbound departure, straight out over that lovely succession of slips and crossings, seems extravagent for a goods yard but again it is based on the actual trackplan of the time. Nowadays it would be a snake across a series of plain crossovers.

In fact, thinking on, I have actually been out of here myself in recent times on a southbound steam special that had stopped in the remains of Grantham’s down goods yard for a water stop – and yes it was a snake across to gain the inevitable up relief for the climb to Stoke summit. Great exhaust sound, mind! :locomotive:

'Robert'

• Like 18

Great progress. I particularly like the last shot of the track work.

Thanks Mike...

You can't have a proper main line sized GN station without a ladder crossing!  Looks good

...and Andy...

Lovely.

...and Dr G-F!

I have to confess I'm finding these new views quite satisfying myself. The ladder pointwork was first laid about 3 years ago so it is nice to finally have it all linked up.

Perhaps an apt time to tell you the following therefore. I have just seen the first proof of Ian Wilson's (Pacific Studio) trackplan for my Grantham. This has been prepared for what will hopefully be an introductory article about the layout which is slated for publication in this year's BRM Annual, due out in March. Ian has made a superb job of the trackplan; I hope you'll like it too.

Looking forward to saying 'hello' at the Nottingham show.

• Like 4

Robert,

what an inspiration your layout is.Brings back loads of memories for me,and my cherished few years on the footplate at Grantham;before the world changed forever,and Grantham loco closed.

It is a pity you have to make so many compromises,but it's the same for all of us,and you are managing well to capture the atmosphere of those golden days brilliantly so far.

Your last posts re. the loco roads outside the east side of the shed prompted me to comment.Those two roads were known in my day as "coronation".Any idea why that was? Built in some coronation year perhaps?

I too hope to see you at Nottingham.

Regards,Roy.

• Like 1

'You can't have a proper main line sized GN station without a ladder crossing!'

Ahem! Are you sure?

Well of course there are always those who go and build the quirky exception to the rule.... :toclue:

Thanks Roy for kind comments. I 'merely' chose Grantham as I thought it had a great combination of interesting features (given that I was being steered towards an LNER 1930's theme). The fact that yourself (and others) knew the place in its heyday intimately and can thus relate so well to it is a lovely bonus.

Nearest Coronation to the New shed area being built would have been 1901 (King Edward VII) but it's the first I've heard of the sidings being called that?

Just had a rewarding couple of hours soldering up the D2's tender bodyshell so a bit of progress on that front too ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK who's going to do Newark then? Don't say me as I'm just a drake and only have legs and webby things attached to those.

Love the track work Robert. I have a cherished photo of Grantham circa 1962ish with the shed in the far distance; taken from a northbound that was changing A3s. I've also loved the thread on the LNER Forum but have not been able to access that site for ages.

P

OK who's going to do Newark then? Don't say me as I'm just a drake and only have legs and webby things attached to those.

Love the track work Robert. I have a cherished photo of Grantham circa 1962ish with the shed in the far distance; taken from a northbound that was changing A3s. I've also loved the thread on the LNER Forum but have not been able to access that site for ages.

P

Newark looks good - there's some lovely (1930's) pictures in the G H F Atkins 'Locomotive Portraits' book. Go on - you know you want to :mosking:

Posting this as Grantham, Newcastle and York are fleetingly at the top of the 'layout topics' listings! Where's that GN (Peterborough) man when you need him?(!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike...

...and Andy...

...and Dr G-F!

I have to confess I'm finding these new views quite satisfying myself. The ladder pointwork was first laid about 3 years ago so it is nice to finally have it all linked up.

Perhaps an apt time to tell you the following therefore. I have just seen the first proof of Ian Wilson's (Pacific Studio) trackplan for my Grantham. This has been prepared for what will hopefully be an introductory article about the layout which is slated for publication in this year's BRM Annual, due out in March. Ian has made a superb job of the trackplan; I hope you'll like it too.

Looking forward to saying 'hello' at the Nottingham show.

I am going to invest in Peco shares

• Like 2