Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

The owner of most of the Grantham stock has first refusal... but you never know. He has yet to buy a property with a room big enough :mosking:

An issue for at least five years hence methinks, so plenty of time to build a layout of your own in the meantime and share it with us all :snooks:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

Evening All,

Just to follow up on some of the recent discussion on Grantham shed.

post-16151-0-76751300-1360191637_thumb.jpg

On Monday evening, I had the chance for a quick read of 'Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds', (Vol.1) by Roger Griffiths & John Hooper. pp92-101 are devoted to Grantham and there is a most detailed 'blow by blow' account of the shed's history, some of it gleaned from the original GNR minute books!

What is generally referred to as the 'New Shed' (apparently it was also known as 'Top Shed'!) was constructed at the turn of the century and what was built was actually one half of what was originally planned to be an eight road shed :O  However, the other half never got built, so this accounts for its rather odd symmetrical appearance. Whereas the west wall was of substantial brick construction, the east wall was in fact only a 'temporary' corrugated iron partition, erected along what was going to have been the centre line supporting pillars. This explains why, in one of Colin Walker's interior shed shots in the dying days, you can clearly see daylight at the bottom of this wall coming through where the rust has eaten through the metal!

The original 'northlight' roof was eventually replaced (due to its badly deteriorated condition) in 1955 to the much lower profile which is so much better known on photos. The 'Old Shed' (also known as 'Bottom Shed', not too surprisingly) was only eventually demolished in 1960 apparently, although it was very much a skeleton by that time.

So far as the turntable is concerned, it did indeed suffer a collapse in mid-1950, however what actually collapsed was the foundations for the centre pivot. Apparently, repairs were undertaken and for a short while it was returned to service but it proved impossible to provide a solid foundation so it was taken out of use permanently and the triangle installed instead. Most interestingly, the table itself must have been little harmed by this event as it was refurbished and installed at Melton Constable on the M&GN of all places (this a 70' turntable remember!). Upon closure in 1959, it was on its travels again, this time going to King's Cross until steam ended (it doesn't clarify whether this was Top Shed or the loco yard at the station). The idea of a turntable being 'reallocated' in this fashion is fascinating. You could argue that the recent 'transfer' of the old Ferme Park turntable to York (50A) perpetuates the tradition!

Finally, the coaling tower was constructed in 1936 and was in use by early 1937. I've definitely decided that, as an interesting little cameo, given that I can't otherwise include it in its full form, I will depict it in the early stages of construction as a little depot worksite, with scaffolding etc.

Hope the above is of interest and perhaps clarifies a few things. If any of what I have told you is wrong then don't blame me, blame the book! :rtfm:

About to go and see some real snow for a week (thus escaping the current building work going on here!), so if I don't immediately respond to a comment then don't take it personally :dontknow:. Dicky W has just sent me the proof of the article for the Annual so that should be something to look forward to on my return. :read: My 'cover' will definitely be 'blown' then :pardon:

'Robert'

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 9

That's very interesting Robert re.shed history.I've often wandered why the east side was of less solid construction.Although I could'nt have said exactly what it was made of,I knew it was'nt properly done in brick.

Keep up the good work;it's lovely to see the old place re-created so well.

Regards,Roy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Browsing the NRM's online photo archive this evening (you can tell that I don't have a layout to build!) I came across the following photo.  I don't think I've seen another picture which shows the east side of the wooden building at the south end of the main range of buildings of the down platform:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Doncaster&objid=1997-7396_DON_49_169

I expect it could have produced an excellent crop of tomatoes.  They must have had a good window cleaner at Grantham station with all those smutty steam locos continually passing by.

John

Edited by 61070
  • Like 1

Thanks John,

That is an excellent - and very unusual picture. Unusual I say because it looks to have been taken very early in the morning, just as the sun was up (in the east) - no doubt someone will tell us what time the 'Up' WRL was due to pass through Grantham. Not only has that illuminated the 'greenhouse'(!) but also all the wonderful detail under the elusive down main canopy. Thanks for your efforts in finding this.

Meanwhile, whilst you were browsing the NRM photo archive, I was embarking on 'preparations for Nottingham', by which I mean making the Harlaxton Road bridge board looking its best(!) Happily, this means doing some actual modelling and so progressing the layout!

post-16151-0-38815400-1361279315_thumb.jpg

One of the most obvious visual problems with using Peco foam underlay is the unprototypical 'valley' created between pairs of running lines otherwise laid to scale track centres, so that is the job being tackled here.

post-16151-0-61538500-1361279341_thumb.jpg

First of all I cut some narrow card strips and push gently down into the 'Vee' as a base (to save on ballast(!) and also - I hope - to enable possible future replacement of the foam without completely wrecking everything!)

post-16151-0-31811100-1361279366_thumb.jpg

The usual(?) 50:50 PVA glue mix, with a bit of Fairy liquid (other brands are available), brushed on so as just to wet the bit where we want ballast to go.

post-16151-0-60108800-1361279388_thumb.jpg

I'm another that likes to go down a scale when it comes to ballast, so this is Woodland Scenics 'fine' ballast, the light grey colour which is a good match with the already spray painted foam.

post-16151-0-72229200-1361279411_thumb.jpg

Topping up the glue with the void two-thirds filled, to ensure full penetration of the glue.

post-16151-0-77792100-1361279604_thumb.jpg

Here, I'm using the back of a small spoon to smooth down the final ballast application, trying to achieve a flat finish with the foam either side. From observation, steam age ballast manicuring seemed to be trying to achieve a near perfect level across the formation, level with the sleeper tops. On this picture you can also see the colouring effect I'm trying to get on the rails/sleepers. After the initial sprayings, I go along the rail sides with Matt 29, and try to pick out the chairs to show the contrast between them (metal) and the sleepers (wood).

post-16151-0-83775900-1361279625_thumb.jpg

The 'et voila!' picture, showing before and after.

By no means finished. This all needs weathering and blending in yet. Stand by for further posts over next few weeks ;)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 10

More brilliantly observed realism there!   

How true that the central cess is quite oftejn non existant in many steam era photos - although the ballast may change colour in that area (a useful ploy to explain any mismatch you may get).

Always good to see more photos of Grantham - thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

The preparations for Nottingham continue....

At last - some 'proper' ballasting(?!)

post-16151-0-95572900-1361807139_thumb.jpg

This length has been ballasted using a 50:50 mix of the fine grey ballast and Woodland Scenics Dark Earth.  50:50 PVA mix applied first by brush (carefully!) between the sleepers. This is the connection from the Down relief to the Nottingham lines. I'm attempting to show it ballasted 'less well' if you get my drift, ie less meticulous attention paid to the ballast shoulder etc compared to the primary ECML formation. Sidings and depot will be even more 'rough n ready' (probably only ash ballast at best) to try and get the right degree of contrast in this regard.

post-16151-0-96901300-1361807172_thumb.jpg

I've used the Dark earth in the areas between the ballasted sections. Unfortunately it seems to have dried a bit too light in colour so I may well add some dark grey colour here during the weathering process (next weekend!) to help blend it in a bit more. I think some dark grey flock might work better for further similar areas.

Any (critical) comments welcome as I'm a bit outside my comfort zone here!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4

I wouldn't worry too much about the ballast as it's laid.  What it needs is a little light airbrushing of 'atmosphere' which would be a mixture of soot, cinders, rust, brake dust and other goodies, just to tie it all together.

At the moment it looks rather like some relaying has taken place along a 'prize length.  I'm very very happy to see a proper six foot and cess - bit of a bugbear of mine, laying track flat on the baseboard.  It looks plain wrong.   I'm constantly amazed how many people obsess over the tiniest detail of a locomotive,and ignore the fact that track should look as though it has proper drainage, which has a much bigger impact on the authentic look of a model railway.  But then, I like track almost more than trains....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Preparations for Nottingham continue...

post-16151-0-10841300-1362960767_thumb.jpg

Time to add some weathering of that pristine looking ballast!

post-16151-0-98026700-1362962402_thumb.jpg

First of all a very light brushing with a grey-brown colour (nothing more sophisticated than water-based readymix paints). I really haven't got an air brush!

post-16151-0-64903800-1362961095_thumb.jpg

Next, something that I've observed from studying countless steam ear photos over the years. There is often a very definite darker band along the sleeper ends each side. My theory is that this is directly beneath where all the oil on the motion drips down (or is spun off from a loco moving at speed). Add in a good dosing from cylinder drain cocks and injector overflows and it's easy to see how this bit of the trackbed gets 'weathered' more than others.

post-16151-0-98022400-1362961139_thumb.jpg

Hopefully you can see where I've been? The contrast with the so far untouched Nottingham lines to the left can clearly be seen. Oh, and I've found a better flock mix for the '10 foot' (ie the darker strip in the middle).

post-16151-0-65593800-1362961170_thumb.jpg

The 'look' beginning to take shape. Probably need to build up the colour a bit more but best I think to add to it gradually rather than splodge on something irretrievable that you're not happy with?

And that's more or less it, ready for Nottingham. Do come and say 'hi' if you're at the show. I shall be bringing my various reference folders concerning trackwork and what it looked like in steam days so happy to talk through any aspects that may be of interest.

Oh, and don't forget to buy the BRM Annual, out on Thursday for what will hopefully be a first taste of Grantham in print, complete (I believe) with one of Mr Ian Wilson's beautiful trackplans. Hope you like it. :thankyou:

'Robert'

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 8

I like your attention to detail with the extra grime on the ends of the sleepers. Food for thought with my own layout! :scratchhead:

Mike

Thanks Mike,

This observation simply comes from endless hours looking at photos from the steam era. As you absorb the detail, certain 'patterns' seem to emerge and this is one of them. By no means universal, more 'typical' I would say. Where I have old mags I've finished reading, I have a quick scan through for any photos worth keeping. As a result I have a whole collection of photos showing steam age trackbed condition (which I think looks distinctly different to the present day - modern rolling stock 'weathers' the ballast differently, for one thing!). I shall be bringing them with me to Nottingham for folks to have a look through. Nowt better than a picture (especially a colour one) to inform a discussion ;)

I (still) love those modified slips!  :good_mini:

Note to self: must have a go at trying that on Stockrington when the time comes.

Scott

Go on - you know you want to :D