Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

And ... some of the lack of progress is down to me a red leader has been designing a layout for my railway room. Just need to get building it in between cricket umpiring duties.

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

2735 - Thought the first one might be Ludo and confirmed when I enlarged the pic. Pity whoever built the model used the wrong typeface on the signal box nameboard.

2471 - I wonder who Snowdon Lily was/is?

2759 - I like blue Kings (not referring to Graeme of this parish).

https://first-nature.com/flowers/gagea-serotina.php

• RMweb Gold

Oddly I went to Llandudno 25 years ago for the sole purpose of photting that gantry but alas even by then it was in the slightly trimmed state in which it survives to this day.  There is of course a Reading design gantry still in place at Shrewsbury (I presume) but it is one of the final style designed for colour light signals although it did (and might still?)  have a semaphore doll mounted on it; so far as I'm aware it is the only Reading design gantry carrying a semaphore signal still in use on NR.

And you could of course have seen one of these on an LNER themed thread ;)

post-6859-0-52709900-1527676686_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And ... some of the lack of progress is down to me a red leader has been designing a layout for my railway room. Just need to get building it in between cricket umpiring duties.

Baz

About bl00dy time too.

As far as I know the gantry at Harrogate is still in use; in fact I thought that one was the last as I didn't know about the Llandudno one.

Whilst we're on the subject of quirky signals still out and about on the network...

post-16151-0-71988700-1527782489.jpg

I'm pretty certain that this is the last Midland style (lower quadrant) semaphore signal surviving (the last pre-grouping semaphore signal of any description on the network?), minding its own business in a relatively sleepy corner... Managed to catch up with it a few months ago.

No doubt one of you will know a lot more about it than I do...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Whilst we're on the subject of quirky signals still out and about on the network...

attachicon.gifWP_20180321_14_20_15_Pro_crop.jpg

I'm pretty certain that this is the last Midland style (lower quadrant) semaphore signal surviving (the last pre-grouping semaphore signal of any description on the network?), minding its own business in a relatively sleepy corner... Managed to catch up with it a few months ago.

No doubt one of you will know a lot more about it than I do...

Be that around Oakham area?

• RMweb Gold

It crops up from time to time on the forums. Not really a secret, more hiding in plain sight.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3542138

No idea why it has survived.

Somebody loves it I would think - that often accounts for unexpected signallling survivals (like my Spagnoletti type GWR block instrument, which came brand new from 'somebody's' S&T stores in the 1970s where he had hung onto it it 'just in case')

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It crops up from time to time on the forums. Not really a secret, more hiding in plain sight.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3542138

No idea why it has survived.

Someone at Network Rail wants it to (asm Mike suggests). It could be listed?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It hasn't been replaced with a more modern 1930s design of pointy upwards signal because two days after they would do so it would be announce that the line will be resignalled with colour lights controlled by a signalling center in Perth or Brighton and all the nice blokes who work on the line will be made redundant.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It's been so long on here since the last modelling post that I'll have to start with the last pic on the previous said post to put things into context.

post-16151-0-03184300-1531847662_thumb.jpg

This is where we were up to. Underframes with articliated bits added, ready to be mounted on the bogies.

post-16151-0-42188700-1531847686_thumb.jpg

Nothing more sophisticated than opening out the holes to approx. 2mm and soldering in a 8BA bolt

post-16151-0-30924300-1531847725_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, Mr King's resin bogies have been painted and wheels (also painted) inserted. In the centre of the bogie, there is a nice, sizeable flat area where the inter-vehicle couplings can rest on, as demonstrated top right.

post-16151-0-89010400-1531847768_thumb.jpg

Bit fuzzy (sorry) but this shows how the 8BA bolt fits through the centre pivot point of the bogie, suitably drilled out to be a snug fit. If the picture was a bit clearer, then you would be able to see how the larger, lower bearing pad sits between the bolt and the top of the bogie.

post-16151-0-10415600-1531847798_thumb.jpg

Milestone achieved last night - the full set now on its bogies. Obviously, the end bogies are attached in a more conventional way like a normal bogie coach. But the good news is that it all seems to run OK, negotiating the assault course shown (double slip - three-way point - curved point) without any difficulty.

Next step - body attachment then I might just have the bit between my teeth to get the set looking something like complete. Steady on ...

In other news ... the recent hiatus is partly explained away by some heavy engineering work being done to the structure of the chapel which has necessitated everything being packed away. However, that is now complete so the layout should be getting unpacked over the next few weeks for some of the remaining work to be done. :good:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Is that red button bigger than Trump's? Looking very tidy G. I bet they look great running through your 'measured curves', (not your personal curves dear boy; the railway's curves).

Yes, I know, I am a very silly ######.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ducky you shouldn't have mentioned the button..now Jw is talking about the knob..

I think that is an emergency stop everything button? If it is, what a good idea; bit like in a Crafty Workshop with machines and hurty stuff. I need several on my train set board in case of Third Pary, Fire and Theft.

Otherwise it could be an ejector seat activator for when things get tetchy during exhibitions................................................. :rtfm:  :sarcastichand:  :blackeye:  :devil:

I knew .. I just KNEW ... it was a mistake including that button / knob in the picture :fool:

There's me, slaving away at my artickleyations and all you lot are interested in is the red knob! I dunno...

For info, when depressed (ha!), it connects the fiddle yard to the inner mainline so as fiddle yard operator can bring a northbound train out into position ready for it to appear on stage round the front. A similar knob allows southbound trains to be similarly positioned and also dragged back into the yard once the front of house operators have finished with 'em. :D

• RMweb Premium

I knew .. I just KNEW ... it was a mistake including that button / knob in the picture :fool:

There's me, slaving away at my artickleyations and all you lot are interested in is the red knob! I dunno...

For info, when depressed (ha!), it connects the fiddle yard to the inner mainline so as fiddle yard operator can bring a northbound train out into position ready for it to appear on stage round the front. A similar knob allows southbound trains to be similarly positioned and also dragged back into the yard once the front of house operators have finished with 'em. :D

How do you drag the trains with your knob?

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, I have dragged the mighty Grantham down to 36E levels of idiot comments. I can only apologise and I won't mention knobs again....ever.....yes, really.

However, I am disappointed it isn't a total wipeout for emergencies button as I though that was a damn fine idea. I could have done with a few of those around the train set recently due to non interlocked signalling (there is no signalling yet) and me being too lazy to stop one train whilst moving another across the main line!!!!!!! Silly .

Ar$£

• Like 1