Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

'Div. Days' were the most exciting, when Heathrow was fog bound. Straight down the airport if we could. I can well remember the tiny spec. of landing lights over Stockport getting steadily larger to reveal a Malayan Singapore Airways (MSA) B707 touching down, amongst many other exotic sightings. On one such day, Luton was fog bound as well and every available stand became occupied, with earlier arrivals parked wherever there was space on the tarmac. Eventually, the airfield was declared 'full' and no more incoming flights could be accepted. That must have taken some sorting out afterwards!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Grandmother lived on Bowdon so it was a holiday treat.  I remember the Altrincham Rd before the tunnel when you drove via the runway ‘between planes’. 
Paul. 

• Like 1

The shots of Niagra Falls reminded me of a trip we made some years ago staying with family we crossed into the US side and went shopping as prices are much lower .Coming back we were told that we were not to look at the custom officers ,we didnt and we made it back safely!  Later on we visited a tram museum seemingly in the middle of nowhere soon as they found out we were Brits a  welcome was made mentions of Chrich and I was allowed up with the driver.A great country and wonderful railways thanks for the pics.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No more recent than that . . .

I suspect shortly before the tunnel opened - the road went up to the runway with gates/barriers, turned right onto the runway then almost immediately left off it.  I’m assuming that the runway extension was in use, but it could have been built but not yet in use in extended form.

Wouldn’t get done like that now!

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

The only time I flew from Ringway was on a BAC 1-11 for a Club 18 - 30 holiday to Tossa da Mar.  I'm just a little outside that age group now.....

I flew from Ringway to JFK via Prestwick in 1977 on a British Airtours 707. That was the start of a University rugby tour, so I apologise for not being able to remember many details, apart from the captain announcing that the Northern Lights were visible on the starboard side.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Haven't seen a Vickers Vanguard for ages. When my dad first took me to Ringway (Sunday mornings) Viscounts ruled the roost. Internationally, Vickers sold ten times more Viscounts. Great picture!

Edited by A Murphy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2022 at 12:51, 2750Papyrus said:

Please, what shows will Grantham be attending over the next six months?

Next shows are always in the signature (footer) of all my posts. Forthcoming show is Fareham, only show for Grantham this season. Next show after that is Newcastle in autumn '23.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK - so don't get too excited but ...

PXL_20220920_183023212.jpg.7090ca4b44966459681a1e14d9c7bd65.jpg

PXL_20220924_120032116.jpg.664fd2e1654f2b5bdfca631eabae86c1.jpg

Parts of the layout have been set up over the last week or so to attend to various gremlins that showed their head at Doncaster.

Once nice little job was to affix the Doncaster show badge. Totting up, that's now 15 shows attended as a complete layout (plus one or two partial appearances before that), more than I thought.

See you in a week's time if you're coming to the Fareham show; otherwise, should be the usual show report afterwards.

• Like 19

Guest Simon A.C. Martin

I spy one of Mr King's excellent Clerestory conversions in that second photograph of the three above. A lovely and underappreciated conversion I feel, given how convincing it is.

It really is a lovely layout, with so much to see that you cannot possibly take it all in on one day!

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

...combining with being short-handed on the day. 

Situation normal in many ways then? Too few hands trying to cover too much? Stressful / tiring.

23 minutes ago, Simon A.C. Martin said:

I spy one of Mr King's excellent Clerestory conversions in that second photograph of the three above. A lovely and underappreciated conversion I feel, given how convincing it is.

It really is a lovely layout, with so much to see that you cannot possibly take it all in on one day!

It won't be one of my conversions Simon, as none of my stock is there, but the roof might be one of my resin products.

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
11 minutes ago, gr.king said:

It won't be one of my conversions Simon, as none of my stock is there, but the roof might be one of my resin products.

Ah! Fair enough Graeme.