Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone for liking the posts since Southampton. It seems there were a lot of RMwebbers who visitded this show, many of whom made themselves known and a few who perhaps were a little shy in coming forward.   

I have been very busy the last few days, we are moving stuff constantly around the house ahead of decorators and I also had a Pendon Scenic Workshop to co-lead today so please excuse the late response to the last couple of posts.

You could try some draught excluder perhaps?  That way, as long as it sticks to the cassette, the foam should remain bonded to the tape.

It's a good idea Teaky and I'll investigate it further, thanks. I'll have to struggle on with the same issue for the BRM show at Doncaster this coming weekend as I just do not have the time to do anything about it in the meantime. 

I was there when this layout was described as "magical" by a small child on Sunday morning, a great moment!

Great to finally see this layout in the flesh.

Martyn

Hi Martyn. I'm glad you posted this as I menat to and forgot. As I recall, the little boy, about 5 years old I would say, was being held aloft by his Dad so that he could see better. His Dad was watching the operations and the boy unprompted just came out with "This is just magical". I was leaning over the fiddle yard at the time, right in earshot and thanked him for making my weekend.  :imsohappy: 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martyn. I'm glad you posted this as I menat to and forgot. As I recall, the little boy, about 5 years old I would say, was being held aloft by his Dad so that he could see better. His Dad was watching the operations and the boy unprompted just came out with "This is just magical". I was leaning over the fiddle yard at the time, right in earshot and thanked him for making my weekend.  :imsohappy:

What a wonderful thing to have said about your layout, Nick. However whilst that lovely comment made your weekend, you probably made that little chaps.

Lovely.

Rob.

• Like 1

Finally seen Much Murkle in the flesh today at Doncaster....I wasn't disappointed. This was the only reason I attended the show. It is a fantastic layout, very well modelled and to a high standard, always something moving and in the odd few seconds there isn't there's plenty to look at. I spent about 40 minutes watching and videoing and chatting with Nick et al...most enjoyable

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following my visit to Doncaster to see Much Murkle on 11 Feb the video I filmed can be found on YouTube https://youtu.be/WAJ60BZMRXE. It lasts for about 30 mins. Unfortunately theres not much of Rancoutt's Cider, if any.

I hope you enjoy the film...

Andy

Andy,  thank you for producing a superb video of my layout.

You have found some interesting angles to film from and I particularly like the close up and low aspect filming, something you rarely see in the small snippets of video that most people take. From my point of view it is a pity there isn't a little more of Rancoutt's yard and an appearance of the mineral train but hey, you have shown many of the other trains which frequent Much Murkle.

It is good that you've shown the operating as it is, warts and all. The odd train that comes to an abrupt halt is a result of not checking that points are set correctly, but at least it alweays happens in front of the signal box where we can claim that the driver has stopped to exchange a few words with the signalman!! I enjoyed the chat with you on the day  and hope to see you with your camera again sometime.

Regards, Nick

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the kind words.

I have watched it a number of times and don't see the odd operational blip although I can see a few video errors but left them in as removing them would detract from the video.

I'm glad you like the footage, please feel free to link to it if you wish.

It wasn't until I was editing it I realised how little I had of Rancoutt's Cider, I will make amends when I see Much Murkle again as this is an important element of the layout as a whole.

I shall certainly stop to chat when I see the layout again, and take some video of course.

Best wishes

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I received one of these a while back

http://www.hattons.co.uk/58947/Dapol_4D_011_001_Streamlined_railcar_12_in_GWR_lined_chocolate_and_cream_with_shirtbutton_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

The model catches the prototype very well but having large windows, gives a very good view of the interior, which can only be descrided as BLAND. It is moulded in a beige/light brown plastic and is frankly disappointing. So the first job was to brighten it up a bit.

Researching the colours of the interior and upholstery drew a blank as the only pictures I could find were in black and white, but they did show a variety of patterns on the seat cloth, mostly tartan. So the floor was painted a dark brown, the seats a brown/red colour to mimic stained wood and the walls in cream. I then copied a green tartan design and printed onto an adhesive label sheet. These were then cut and stuck to the seats as shown below:

post-7649-0-34301700-1520186919.jpg

post-7649-0-62276500-1520186927.jpg

I bought some seated passengers at the Southampton show back in January. After painting these were used to populate the Railcar.

post-7649-0-47697800-1520186937.jpg

With the addition of a driver the interior is finished. The exterior is well detailked but there are a couple of things on the roof which with a bit of work will lift the model to greater heights if you'll pardon the pun. The torpedo tube, which is actually part of the ATC equipment has conduits running from it across the roof and down the sides. These are represented, but are so finely moulded they cannot really be seen. Also on the prototype there are bearers running across the roof between the vents to support the tube; these are missing completely.

The supports are an easy fix by cutting thin strips of 0.25mm plasticard and slipping these under the tube and between the vents before glueing into place. The conduits were a bit fiddly but made out of 0.5mm wire bent to shape and very carefully superglued into position. Both the conduits and the supports can be seen in the next three photos.

post-7649-0-95590300-1520186950.jpg

post-7649-0-21509400-1520186962.jpg

post-7649-0-55711800-1520186971.jpg

A couple of photos that can be compared to the link at the start of this post to show the overall effect that painting the interior and doing a small amount of detail work can make.

post-7649-0-26175500-1520186983.jpg

post-7649-0-43072900-1520186992.jpg

To finish this project I will need to repaint the roof and weather the Railcar. It will then be ready for service on Much Murkle.

PS, it runs beautifully.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Hi Nick

It's great to see that video filmed by Andy ( thanks Andy) of Much Murkle. As you no doubt remember I was intending to come and see it in operation on the Sunday, however circumstances meant I was unable to attend so it may just have to wait for another time, but I never know until the day whether I can attend or not.

I've had quite a long absence from the forum but hope to be around for a while so will keep an eye open for another opportunity to visit you and Much Murkle.

All the best

Jim

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've finally found the motivation and time (both have been a problem these last few months) to complete the weathering on the Railcar, just in time for the Uckfield show this coming weekend.

post-7649-0-34966500-1539717645_thumb.jpg

post-7649-0-59352200-1539717634_thumb.jpg

post-7649-0-02574000-1539717618_thumb.jpg

post-7649-0-19327200-1539717594_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Much Murkle has had a small refurb to freshen up the presentation and is now packed ready for the journey to the Uckfield Exhibition this weekend. If you are visiting the show, please say hello.

There will be a few items of new stock making an appearance other than the Railcar. A couple of cut and shut clerestory coaches, a D37 brake third and a C10 all third

post-7649-0-94735600-1539936656_thumb.jpg

post-7649-0-78798600-1539936640_thumb.jpg

and a Hattons Andrew Barclay industrial 0-4-0 to shunt the cider works (nameplates are temporary)

post-7649-0-49201700-1539936536_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Much Murkle's last outing for 2018 will be as a guest layout at Pendon Museum over the weekend of 17 & 18th November.

My team are looking forward to having a great weekend in a more relaxing atmosphere than the usual exhibition environment. Fortunately we will be located in the workshop room so no one will be able to make a direct visual comparison of my modelling skills to that of the Pendon modellers.

Pendon are also holding a "Friends of Pendon evening" on the Saturday night at which I am giving a talk and demonstration on building and exhibiting Much Murkle. It should be an interesting evening.

If you haven't been to Pendon for a while, or have never been before why not come along and get some added value to visit. Hope to see some of you and have a chat.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking forward to Trainwest this weekend.

I've been wheel cleaning today to ensure (hopefully) there are no running problems. I've also managed to do my pre-exhibition check of all the stock and the layout for any repairs needed. A few little bits and pieces to do but all completed in under an hour. Very happy. 

Hope a a few of you are going and will say hello.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

'Tis a great shame I won't be there, but "Hello" all the same. :)

Hope all goes well.

Shame that you'll be doing other things Mick but you'll earn your keep behind the layout at the next outing in Derby as penance for your absence my friend. :good_mini:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/04/2019 at 22:01, nickwood said:

Looking forward to Trainwest this weekend.

I've been wheel cleaning today to ensure (hopefully) there are no running problems. I've also managed to do my pre-exhibition check of all the stock and the layout for any repairs needed. A few little bits and pieces to do but all completed in under an hour. Very happy. 

Hope a a few of you are going and will say hello.

While you're there, make yourself known to Chris Hopper of Bakewell Street. Don't mention my name, though. :)

• RMweb Gold

You naughty man! If I didn't know better I would think that you are trying to do a bit of match making as you have put exactly the same suggestion on the Bakewell Street thread.

I'm sure that when I meet Chris we will partake in a bit of character assasination :D

• Like 1

On 02/03/2018 at 07:04, Popeye said:

Following my visit to Doncaster to see Much Murkle on 11 Feb the video I filmed can be found on YouTube https://youtu.be/WAJ60BZMRXE. It lasts for about 30 mins. Unfortunately theres not much of Rancoutt's Cider, if any.

I hope you enjoy the film...

Andy

Thanks Andy for the film and Nick for making it possible. As I've as much chance of seeing MM "in the flesh" as getting to the Moon, it was a delight to discover the video (so far just a preview). I've downloaded to watch at leisure on one of our upcoming Shinkansen trips, a suitable contrast I think.

Regards,

Colin.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin. Keep a look out here as there may be more video coming soon.

I did a talk at Pendon Museum a few months ago on building and exhibiting Much Murkle for a Friends Evening which was professionally filmed. This included some action on Much Murkle taken at my home which was edited into the talk. Unfortunately this video of the talk is only available to be viewed by Friends of Pendon through the Pendon Museum website but the film company have agreed to provide me with the action footage which I can edit for my own purposes.

I will post the video as soon as I have the footage and edited it.

For any Friends of Pendon the link to my talk is below. You will need to be logged in to the Friends Place on the Pendon website to see it.

https://vimeo.com/313146862/e7d2d28444

Edited by nickwood
Correction
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

1933051386_Feature8DukedogonGoodsarriving2smokemagcopy.jpg.c4c1b9960a9f6fd84f9ecfbc07966ac5.jpgThis weekend, Much Murkle is appearing at the Mickleover Model Railway Group's show at Derby Roundhouse. This will be the last outing for MM until October. All checks are done and I will be loading Much Murkle this evening ready for a journey northwards tomorrow. Hopefully we will have some time to see some of the other fantastic layouts and pick up a few bits and pieces from the traders. Full details of the show are in the Exhibitions forum.

Looking forward to a great weekend playing trains with my team and having a chat with some fellow RMwebbers.

Photo courtesy of Andy York & BRM

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1