Dapol 2012/13 (and now 2014) O gauge range discussion thread

cromptonnut

They are already available from Tower Models. One of the very strange things about 7mm is that there aren't many RTR locos, but incredible duplication between manufacturers - A4s, A3s, Jubilees, Duchess, etc etc. As 4mm have shown there is an enormous number of possibilities. The GWR has a decent range of smaller locos suitable for branchlines - Lionheart for example with the Pannier and 2-6-2T, but try finding a small loco suitable for LNER branchlines!

Far less options for us "modern image" modellers - even in kit form.

Sorry, I'm not willing to comment much on Lionheart as I cannot claim independence. I will point out that, for example they use both steel and wooden end stanchions, have a form of suspension and will find the slightest gradient. If they have one problem it is that they move too easily and it takes a lot of precision to buffer up for coupling without them moving away. Not difficult to judge for yourself from the Lionheart website http://www.lionheart...php?page=models By the way, no charge for postage (like Osborn, unlike Tower).

I think we discussed the destruction of the ex Private Trader wagon fleet by BR in detail a couple of years ago. Wooden mineral wagons, which by then would mainly be the RCH standard introduced c1923-4 with oil axleboxes (ie what Dapol and Lionheart model), can be seen in photos into the early 1960s. I am increasingly of the belief that they, and the earlier steel minerals seem to have been popular for loco coal - or possibly for loco ash as they can be seen in MPD photos. A few survived in internal use - I think I caught the last one, acting as a station spoil wagon in September 1977 http://bit.ly/RoLFKO http://bit.ly/MGIfxO This is the other that lasted a long time on BR (at Stratford I believe), and upainted http://bit.ly/RoLWgS

Many lasted for far longer in internal use at industrial sites. http://paulbartlett....com/brpomineral

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

Not sure what you mean - did you consult on such - cant you declare that?

I have some Lionheart 16T Minerals which are very free running and have nice system for compensation......and use/will use Winterley Couplings, which sometimes require a 'brake' (sponge over the axles).

Is it possible that you have me confused with someone else? - as I dont remember discussing this subject before.....I have tried to contact you in the past on another - van related - issue, yet you never relplied...

Thanks for the info, I too have seen photos of such in MPD situations, yet such is hard to varify......looks like I could make room for a couple then...

Kind regards,

CME

They are already available from Tower Models. One of the very strange things about 7mm is that there aren't many RTR locos, but incredible duplication between manufacturers - A4s, A3s, Jubilees, Duchess, etc etc. As 4mm have shown there is an enormous number of possibilities. The GWR has a decent range of smaller locos suitable for branchlines - Lionheart for example with the Pannier and 2-6-2T, but try finding a small loco suitable for LNER branchlines!

Please, lets think more broadly about what it would be useful to see being introduced.

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

I, by and large, agree, I have said here and elsewhere, that we don't want - or need - 'duplication' as that will not help the, on the whole, superb cottage industry that supplies the market place for 7mm scale, nor will it help the RTR manufacturers and customers alike.

However competition, new ideas, new production methods, or the use of existing techniques and methods as used in 'oo' (sic) but in 7mm scale will be most welcome.

I am looking forward to seeing what the Dapol (7mm scale) 08 will be like in the flesh.....judging by Dapol's other work, we should be in for a real treat.

I hope that Dapol, will learn from the short falls and mistakes of others i.e. please use flush glazing as standard and avoid prismatic glazing etc. remove any mould-lines before applying an immaculate paint job, use decent Delrin and/or metal gearing etc. etc. Ensure that exposed 'edges' are fine enough to pass muster.....

I for one, would prefer un-numbered locos, yet I understand that a 'marketing strategy' to supply numbered versions maybe afoot (but I doubt if most modellers of 7mm scale will appreciate the latter approach - which maybe okay for larger markets such as 'oo', yet not for small markets as 7mm scale [unless enough 'converts' can be enticed into 7mm scale modelling]).

ATVB

CME

Hi Paul,

Not sure what you mean - did you consult on such - cant you declare that?

Is it possible that you have me confused with someone else? - as I dont remember discussing this subject before.....I have tried to contact you in the past on another - van related - issue, yet you never relplied...

The "We" was RMWeb!

Yes I have given some advice to Lionheart.

Vans - quite possible that I was away, or it came as an anonymous posting.

Paul Bartlett

The "We" was RMWeb!

Yes I have given some advice to Lionheart.

Vans - quite possible that I was away, or it came as an anonymous posting.

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

I didn't get this as an email alert, so I have just reset such - computers are so unpredictable!!....

I understand your slant now - thanks for the clarification and congrats to you and Richard for some fine wagons!.

Time will tell if the Dapol versions will meet the required standards...I do hope so.

As an aside I have seen, today, in Model Rail, that the 7mm scale SR Brake Van is to be released in 'SR Olive Green' (7F-100-001), 'Southern Red and Grey' (7F100-002), 'Engineer's Red' (7F-100-003) and 'Dark Grey with Yellow Warning Panels' (7F-100-004).....I haven't checked this against the top of the Thread yet, but I am a little confused by these 'descriptions'....Perhaps this is because I/we model 1965-1976, so I have tended, with Brake Van's, only to focus on that era and liveries and before (i.e. Brown/Red, Grey/Black, Bauxite/Black? etc)......

I do hope that Dapol will produce those SR Brake Van variants which are not already covered by the excellent Parkside Dundas kit (right-hand-side Ducket, even/equal planking with or w/o Sanding equipment) so as to avoid duplication ....

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi CME

Note Dapol Dave has already indicated that correction of liveries SR red&grey to SR red&brown is one of the items on the amendments list to be issued after his return from holiday. Also Dapol have taken a trade stand at Guildex, Telford 8/9 Sept, with a following wind it may be out for that, and we can hope for sight of some samples.

As to which versions of the brake van they issue first, we will have to wait and see, having just purchased another Parkside kit of this (RH duckets,even planking, with or without sandbox), it would be nice if it was one of the other versions - 2+1 planking would be good, though this is not what the cad in the catalogue shows.

Hi Paul,

I didn't get this as an email alert, so I have just reset such - computers are so unpredictable!!....

I understand your slant now - thanks for the clarification and congrats to you and Richard for some fine wagons!.

Time will tell if the Dapol versions will meet the required standards...I do hope so.

As an aside I have seen, today, in Model Rail, that the 7mm scale SR Brake Van is to be released in 'SR Olive Green' (7F-100-001), 'Southern Red and Grey' (7F100-002), 'Engineer's Red' (7F-100-003) and 'Dark Grey with Yellow Warning Panels' (7F-100-004).....I haven't checked this against the top of the Thread yet, but I am a little confused by these 'descriptions'....Perhaps this is because I/we model 1965-1976, so I have tended, with Brake Van's, only to focus on that era and liveries and before (i.e. Brown/Red, Grey/Black, Bauxite/Black? etc)......

I do hope that Dapol will produce those SR Brake Van variants which are not already covered by the excellent Parkside Dundas kit (right-hand-side Ducket, even/equal planking with or w/o Sanding equipment) so as to avoid duplication ....

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

CME

I must admit I think these advance announcements are a dreadful idea. Over and over we get all sorts of frothing about these early announcements which usually include mistakes already known to the potential manufacturer. We then get months of when is this/that being delivered, tears when they get delayed - even when it is because the UK end has rejected a model because the manufacturers mis-understood the instructions, etc. etc. So, in no way am I discussing either the SR brake van or the milk tanks - but I did get involved with these minerals because months and months after earlier discussion there has been no change to the gross inaccuracies on some of them - the P wagon lettering is just SO wrong! But, what the final wagon will look like who knows?

Paul Bartlett

Hi CME

Note Dapol Dave has already indicated that correction of liveries SR red&grey to SR red&brown is one of the items on the amendments list to be issued after his return from holiday. Also Dapol have taken a trade stand at Guildex, Telford 8/9 Sept, with a following wind it may be out for that, and we can hope for sight of some samples.

As to which versions of the brake van they issue first, we will have to wait and see, having just purchased another Parkside kit of this (RH duckets,even planking, with or without sandbox), it would be nice if it was one of the other versions - 2+1 planking would be good, though this is not what the cad in the catalogue shows.

Hi GW,

Thanks for that......time will tell, yet, there aint much room for duplication in the world of gauge O modelling, for suppliers or customers alike....

ATVB

CME

I must admit I think these advance announcements are a dreadful idea. Over and over we get all sorts of frothing about these early announcements which usually include mistakes already known to the potential manufacturer. We then get months of when is this/that being delivered, tears when they get delayed - even when it is because the UK end has rejected a model because the manufacturers mis-understood the instructions, etc. etc. So, in no way am I discussing either the SR brake van or the milk tanks - but I did get involved with these minerals because months and months after earlier discussion there has been no change to the gross inaccuracies on some of them - the P wagon lettering is just SO wrong! But, what the final wagon will look like who knows?

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

As much as I respect your work and views - we shall have to agree to disagree on this one.

I like the idea that a manufacturer Posts such info and updates (cant remember the trendy marketing phrase for such) as it helps the manufacturer to gauge interest, get feedback and then decide when - and if - to commit to production, it also 'ring-fences' a model, thus helping to avoid, in the longer run, duplication, without infringing upon competition laws. From a punter's point of view we get a heads up, time to save and to pass on comments to the manufacturer prior to a production run (which could ultimately save the manufacturer time and money - thus improving pricing and VFM etc.).....

I, for one, cannot be bothered with 'frothing', life's too short, and so I look forward to what is coming out, it's all part of the fun. If a manufacturer doesn't listen/get it right then I have a choice and can vote with my feet and wallet, i.e. is the model 'right', nearly right or other, how much does it cost, can it be fettled (if it isn't right yet a good price), is it really required for the 'fleet' or not, and if required then it is a 'make, do, or buy' decision....I think that you will find that, out of necessity, us modellers of 7mm scale/'O' guage, are a fairly patient bunch anyway...

ATVB

CME

Hi Folks

I have just seen and heard the great news from Dapol re the whole range and especially the Terriers for those of us who have hankered after modelling something 'Edwardian' for years.

Does anyone know if fitting sound into these will be a viable option? I hope that this has been thought about and included in the 'plans', for those of us who are hooked on it already!

Also, out of interest, are there others out there who have also wanted to model something Edwardian? There are significant numbers of great figures and accessories available and I have noticed huge interest from the public at any model railway shows when something Early 20th Century is shown. Perhaps it is a combination of the liveries, along with such aesthetically pleasing loco design plus a harking back to the 'halcyon days' pre WWI? (Perhaps there's something in our psyche that makes it appeal?). I would love to think that Dapol might 'embrace' the LBSCR and issue a few more locos in time to compliment the Terrier. The great thing is that most are compact tank engines (and yet look sufficiently different), and most survived into SR and BR days (with modification) giving the locos a wide - and more importantly - commercial appeal. There's also the further option of running both the 'improved engine green' and umber liveried locos together. A couple of short bogie coaches to match would be marvellous - again, something that could be offered in umber/white, SR green or BR livery. Trix (HO) went down this route with Bavarian State Railway (and Fleischmann with the Prussian).....is there a market here for such a thing in O? Even those of us who are 'space-starved' could, I'm sure, find a way of having a 'shelf' layout to run this stock and get something into the garage. Another bonus is that I would imagine (and hope) they will take a fairly small radius. I shall certainly be getting my order in so Dapol get an early indication that this venture is hopefully viable. Now we just need to get the Bachmann 'Horsted Keynes'station released on O gauge!

Hi Folks

I have just seen and heard the great news from Dapol re the whole range and especially the Terriers for those of us who have hankered after modelling something 'Edwardian' for years.

Does anyone know if fitting sound into these will be a viable option? I hope that this has been thought about and included in the 'plans', for those of us who are hooked on it already!

Also, out of interest, are there others out there who have also wanted to model something Edwardian? There are significant numbers of great figures and accessories available and I have noticed huge interest from the public at any model railway shows when something Early 20th Century is shown. Perhaps it is a combination of the liveries, along with such aesthetically pleasing loco design plus a harking back to the 'halcyon days' pre WWI? (Perhaps there's something in our psyche that makes it appeal?). I would love to think that Dapol might 'embrace' the LBSCR and issue a few more locos in time to compliment the Terrier. The great thing is that most are compact tank engines (and yet look sufficiently different), and most survived into SR and BR days (with modification) giving the locos a wide - and more importantly - commercial appeal. There's also the further option of running both the 'improved engine green' and umber liveried locos together. A couple of short bogie coaches to match would be marvellous - again, something that could be offered in umber/white, SR green or BR livery. Trix (HO) went down this route with Bavarian State Railway (and Fleischmann with the Prussian).....is there a market here for such a thing in O? Even those of us who are 'space-starved' could, I'm sure, find a way of having a 'shelf' layout to run this stock and get something into the garage. Another bonus is that I would imagine (and hope) they will take a fairly small radius. I shall certainly be getting my order in so Dapol get an early indication that this venture is hopefully viable. Now we just need to get the Bachmann 'Horsted Keynes'station released on O gauge!

Hi Tallsteve!

I like your thinking - the more the merrier, all are welcome in this scale and gauge.

Not sure about the issue of Bachmann et al. making lots of resin RTP buildings though. For one thing I wouldnt want to see our cottage industry suppliers of resin kits disadvantaged, the next issue is that the wonder of 7mm scale is diversity, layouts with decent track and without hundreds of genric card-board buildings kits, or even resin 'clones' - no value judgments and each to their own. What would be useful is a small, but varied range of RTP 'genericish' resin buildings that can also be used outside as well . When I asked the Bachmann rep - a couple of years ago - if the, then new, 7mm scale resin buildings made by them could be used in the garden, he answered 'no our resin buildings wont tolerate the sun/uv etc.' (in precis etc.), I then mentioned that such had probably cut the possible marketplace/potential number of customers for such in half. I have noted that some who model outdoors in 'oo' use Hornby's resin buildings to good effect all year around.

I think that it is great that we can all air these thoughts/things and that Dapol will take such onboard and align such with their business strategy, budgets and manufacturing capabilities etc etc...in short they're listening.

I have just heard that MTH have listened to comments made by modellers and are acting on them for their next production run (and possibly with retro fit mods for those with existing stock) - if they were on here taking the same approach as Dapol, then they would have known sooner, Nevertheless well done Dapol and MTH good customer service and sensible business practice :clapping:

Not sure that everyone would agree that pre WW1 were halcyon days....either in terms of railway history or indeed social welfare - but once again each to their own :no: :smile_mini2:

ATVB

CME

Hi CME/BW!

Many thanks for your kind reply! I hear what you say re the buildings and your idea about 'generic-ish' buildings is a really sensible one too. I worked for many years as a buyer in the retailing trade and so fully understand the whole thing about market viability/costings etc! Dapol do come across as a company that does listen - Dapoldave (who I presume works for the company or has some close connection with them) posted a really excellent note about the cost of O and their move to make it accessable to more is really super news....it looks as though their clever move of a)picking smaller locos/stock and B) pricing them realistically is going to make a lot of people go for the senior scale - even if it is a modest layout.

Re the WWI, I totally agree (hence the inverted commas) - yup, 90% of the welath in 10% of the populations hands, appalling living conditions, poor social welfare....(hang on - when are we talking about - lol) all make for a not so rosy time. BUT, there is something about the period - liveries, loco design plus the figures in those 'costumes' that makes for a certain 'je ne sais quoi'

It will be interesting to see what Dapol have in the pipeline. Another good one could be some Pullman cars - I reackon a lot would end up just as display models because they look so good! (And wouldn't it be nice to at long last have some sort of close coupling system like Hornby etc have made in OO) so that those of us with limited radius curves could run some 60' coaches....you never know!)

Keep well

Steve

Hi CME/BW!

Many thanks for your kind reply! I hear what you say re the buildings and your idea about 'generic-ish' buildings is a really sensible one too. I worked for many years as a buyer in the retailing trade and so fully understand the whole thing about market viability/costings etc! Dapol do come across as a company that does listen - Dapoldave (who I presume works for the company or has some close connection with them) posted a really excellent note about the cost of O and their move to make it accessable to more is really super news....it looks as though their clever move of a)picking smaller locos/stock and B) pricing them realistically is going to make a lot of people go for the senior scale - even if it is a modest layout.

Re the WWI, I totally agree (hence the inverted commas) - yup, 90% of the welath in 10% of the populations hands, appalling living conditions, poor social welfare....(hang on - when are we talking about - lol) all make for a not so rosy time. BUT, there is something about the period - liveries, loco design plus the figures in those 'costumes' that makes for a certain 'je ne sais quoi'

It will be interesting to see what Dapol have in the pipeline. Another good one could be some Pullman cars - I reackon a lot would end up just as display models because they look so good! (And wouldn't it be nice to at long last have some sort of close coupling system like Hornby etc have made in OO) so that those of us with limited radius curves could run some 60' coaches....you never know!)

Keep well

Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks.

I am an ex-buyer myself (Civil Engineering Works, Track, Switch and Crossings, FMCG et al).....

The distribution of wealth? 80/20 - 90/10, probably not much different now - it seems like TPTB want to keep it that way too!

I know what you mean about the era though.....and the stock/liveries - I quite like the idea of being wealthy or 'middle classed' in the 1950's too - Austin Healey 3000 anyone?!

I quite like Tony Wright's take on couplings for 'OO' coaches and I seem to remember that Martyn Welch came up with a good system too.....yet buffer lock is an ever present issue and 7mm finescale can be very temperamental below 5.5ft - 6ft even!

Thanks again.

ATVB

CME

LOL - Hi again!

Yes...I fear you are correct re TPTB.....<sigh>! 1950's is the other appeal...I was brought up near Orpington and can just recall the end of steam, plus seeing the Golden Arrow rush through every day (which is where my love of things Pullman comes from)....and as for those Southern electrics and the old Hastings units......I'll add those to the 'want' list too! A 2 BIL at a price that doesn't require a bank loan or second mortgage would be perfect!

I keep hoping that someone (Dapol...please!) will bring out a coupling system that equates to the Roco/Hornby one, allowing stock to run through quite sharp curves. I am restricted to around 4'0 here due to the size of room I have. I have run some Lenz items and although their couplers look very prominant in the photos, you don't notice them when coupled up to other stock. (And 4'0 is not as horrific as it sounds, especially if you use scenery wisely to help mask any really sharp curves). The coupling bar cleverly prevents any fouling happening (as per the HO/OO systems) and I am sure that a similar system could be adapted for UK stock. The loco's auto uncoupling isn't essential, as manually uncoupling is part of the shunting fun for me.

Re the Dapol Terriers, do you know if they will be 'sound friendly'? I hope that given they are being made for DCC they will be, but you never know! Fingers crossed!

ATVB to you too!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Not sure about the sound issue on the Terriers...

Amen to the remainder of your comments!!

Peter Denny et al has done some wonderful modelling with small area/tight curves so it is possible and manufacturers may wish to consider this aspect of the matter so as to get more 'converts' involved in '0' gauge. I for one, wouldn't want to see any monstrosities - like tension-locks - on the bufferbeams/headstocks of 7mm scale RTR rolling stock though, as such would be magnified in 7mm scale and for many the scale look of 7mm is key to their enjoyment of this scale/gauge...Hacking such away on a RTR model would be a 'no no' as far as I am concerned....MTH have provided several coupling solutions/options on their coaching stock (all nicely hidden underneath) so that sort of approach would be preferable.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi All,

Another thing came to me the other day - when ordering some additional parts for a MTH BG....

ABS also do a cracking kit of the SR Pillbox/Dog Kennal.

With this and the Parkside kit, would it not be better therefore if Dapol produced the SR 'Dancehall' Brake Van with it's 3 arc roof (tricky to model), also, although Connoisseur are about to release a nice - brass (not everyone's perferred modelling medium) - kit for such, the 'Queen Mary' types would also be good (agreed the latter two probably had less route availability than the 25T BV's....) then there is the SR 15T BV, which was used on lighter routes along with the Terriers.....

Although I maybe shooting myself in the foot, I am still not sure if there is room for another Pillbox, RTR or otherwise - unless of course it is a variant not already catered for by Parkside and/or ABS.

Good luck Dapol!

ATB

CME

Hi CME

Southern e group quote ABS as ceasing trading 9th July 2011

Afaik, Connosieur are doing the Queen Mary (production version, even planking) and it looks good if a little pricey. As you say brass is not everyone's medium. I want one.

Parkside one is RH ducket, even planking. It's also considerably cheaper, all there apart from paint and should continue to sell.

The Dapol version is stated to include include a LH ducket version which would be a differentiator, as would air tanks, although we don't know which version is coming when. 2+2 planking would also be a differentiator but that would not be compatible with LH ducket - much as I would like that it s probably not going to happen.

Looking forward to Telford and maybe more info there.

Gardenwall.

Hi All,

Another thing came to me the other day - when ordering some additional parts for a MTH BG....

ABS also do a cracking kit of the SR Pillbox/Dog Kennal.

With this and the Parkside kit, would it not be better therefore if Dapol produced the SR 'Dancehall' Brake Van with it's 3 arc roof (tricky to model), also, although Connoisseur are about to release a nice - brass (not everyone's perferred modelling medium) - kit for such, the 'Queen Mary' types would also be good (agreed the latter two probably had less route availability than the 25T BV's....) then there is the SR 15T BV, which was used on lighter routes along with the Terriers.....

Although I maybe shooting myself in the foot, I am still not sure if there is room for another Pillbox, RTR or otherwise - unless of course it is a variant not already catered for by Parkside and/or ABS.

Good luck Dapol!

ATB

CME

• RMweb Premium

Southern e group quote ABS as ceasing trading 9th July 2011

Not correct. Adrian was certainly at Kettering in March and is on the traders list for Telford. I sometimes wonder where people get their information from and of course once it's posted on the internet others then believe it to be true . . . . .

Mike

Thank you for the update. I see from the Rmweb thread

ABS Models - 4mm Wagon Kits

that Adrian has been ill, good to know he is able to resume .

Not correct. Adrian was certainly at Kettering in March and is on the traders list for Telford. I sometimes wonder where people get their information from and of course once it's posted on the internet others then believe it to be true . . . . .

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Re couplings, I agree there is a need for a 'discreet' autcoupler for 7mm scale. But the recently arrived Ixion Hudswell Clarke has overscale 3-link couplings (anchor rather than coupling links!) and these are MUCH easier to find and hook up than the scale ones, so this may help if you don't mind a slightly overscale appearance. I use a dental scriber hook with a tiny LED torch on the shaft (both from Maplins) for coupling and it generally works. The Ixion loco does set the standard for Dapol to meet, which I'm sure they will.

Dava

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I'm not finding it here or elsewhere. What is the expected release date of the Class 08s?

Hi HD,

I havent seen one as yet - heard plenty of rumours though!

I would guess at 2013 sometime, although some pundit's have mentioned the end of this year - so the truth of the matter would be great to hear from Dapol Dave et al.

ATB

CME

Archived