Dapol 2012/13 (and now 2014) O gauge range discussion thread

cromptonnut

I'm sorry Ruston,

I thought for a minute you were joking and wasn't serious about me announcing plans for our future O gauge projects.

Sorry but no can do.

I won't announce anything more product wise until we are in a position to do so. This must be the case for commercial reasons, not because I'm being mean. ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry Ruston,

I thought for a minute you were joking and wasn't serious about me announcing plans for our future O gauge projects.

Sorry but no can do.

I won't announce anything more product wise until we are in a position to do so. This must be the case for commercial reasons, not because I'm being mean. ;-)

Cheers

Dave

What gave you the impression that I was joking? Did you see any smiley faces in my post? Asking why you chose milk tankers over chemical or petroleum tankers and if you plan to produce a petroleum tanker seems to be a perfectly reasonable question to me. Never mind, I'll stick to Slaters tank kits and scratchbuilding... At least their brake blocks are in line with the wheels.

What gave you the impression that I was joking? Did you see any smiley faces in my post? Asking why you chose milk tankers over chemical or petroleum tankers and if you plan to produce a petroleum tanker seems to be a perfectly reasonable question to me. Never mind, I'll stick to Slaters tank kits and scratchbuilding... At least their brake blocks are in line with the wheels.

Why we choose certain products over others, is down to internal decisions and won't be made public as quite frankly I don't see that our reasons need to be open knowledge.

Mind you, nice barb, and you almost had me putting a smiley in my post!

Why we choose certain products over others, is down to internal decisions and won't be made public as quite frankly I don't see that our reasons need to be open knowledge.

Sound business practice, which could well be why we don't see your competitiors discussing their products and policies at length on open forums.

My two penth for what it's worth...

IMHHO it is great that Dapol and other manufacturers come on here so as to canvass opinion/seek comment/advice from the tacit knowledge here etc.

Sometimes though the only way to get a manufacturer to 'listen' is by open-forum, Facebook et al, as opposed to a face to face chat at a show/exhibition - that for me is a sad fact of 'modern life', its seems that forums act as a 'lever of power' for the customer/potential customer as they are open (for all to see).

There are some manufacturers who, even though they are on open forums, still dont always listen though.

IMHO if Dapol dont get the likes of the 08 and Milk Tankers 'right', or as near as damn it for a 'layout model' (these models are to my mind iconic and thus very obvious and will be 'key performance indicators'), let alone the other 7mm models in the proposed range then that wont help anyone, manufacturer, retailers, traders, and customers alike.

ATVB

CME

There was a pre-production model of the milk tank at Kettering, and although I didn't have photos to compare it with or a micrometer to go over it with, it "looked like a milk tanker" to me.  I heard August as a possible release date.

There was a pre-production model of the milk tank at Kettering, and although I didn't have photos to compare it with or a micrometer to go over it with, it "looked like a milk tanker" to me.  I heard August as a possible release date.

Hi CN,

Any issues that there were, to my mind, which I believe that Dave et al. are/is working on, is the model's 'real-world' ability to go around curves.

ATB

CME

The "finished" model on show had no wheels, so it would definitely have had problems going round curves :)

It's a shame it isn't available in the livery I want it but I reckon I can probably make up my own.  It seems a shame to do that to a new model but I don't know any other way round it apart from making a kit one up (which is actually more expensive, and of course takes time to build!

The "finished" model on show had no wheels, so it would definitely have had problems going round curves :)

It's a shame it isn't available in the livery I want it but I reckon I can probably make up my own.  It seems a shame to do that to a new model but I don't know any other way round it apart from making a kit one up (which is actually more expensive, and of course takes time to build!

Yes I have seen the pre-pro models, at Swindon, last Sept. and they were being made to GOG Guild guidelines :no: , yet look at the complexity of getting 6 wheels to go around a curve - see my previous Posts on the subject. :pardon:

I am sure that Dapol will make most 'liveries' available, it's in their intrests to do so, my concern is the real-world forces placed on a 7mm scale 6 wheeler chassis (different than with a 4mm/2mm model), if Dapol get that level of detail right, within budget and to price point then I am sure that the rest will follow-on..

ATVB

CME

I know, however, the harsh realities of economics means that Dapol will concentrate on the liveries that will give them the greatest return on their investment rather than every possible and somewhat obscure liveries, just because someone wants it.

I don't know what the minimum order for a special commission is on these but I'm pretty sure that it'll be much larger than my layout and credit card can handle!

Unless you happen to do a St Ivel livery (which I don't think you've done in other scales) then it'll be a long wait I expect Dave :)

Unfortunately I don't believe that this livery was used on 3000 gallon tank wagons, only on the smaller 2000 gallon ones - which were LMS registered. The livery itself seems to date from the late 1960s. I'd like to be proven incorrect, but this wagon 3043 was in departmental black on BR http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrbrmilktanks/e3b17ea58 The photo is in conservation, not usually a good basis for modelling.

Paul Bartlett

Hi CN,

Any issues that there were, to my mind, which I believe that Dave et al. are/is working on, is the model's 'real-world' ability to go around curves.

ATB

CME

I am really looking forward to the milk tankers and 08 later this year (Hopefully!)

I am intrigued with the amount of talk regarding the ability for the 6 wheel tanker to negotiate curved track.

The first 0 gauge kit I built was this Slaters milk tanker, around 5-6 years ago. The owner of the model shop advised I needed to fit sprung axleboxes, otherwise it would not go round my 42" radius curves. I found (Due to my lack of building experience) that with the sprung axleboxes, the tanker wobbled a little, so I glued the axle boxes ridged. The tanker still glides around the curves with out a problem. (As does my MMP 08)

post-10855-0-59557800-1362855307.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived