Dapol 2012/13 (and now 2014) O gauge range discussion thread

cromptonnut

Forgive me if this stated eleswhere, I've used the search function with no luck.

The Dapol Class 08, I assume its DCC Ready ? If so would a standard Hornby or Bachmann 8 pin decoder provide enough power to operate the loco.

Also does the model have operational lighting ?

Regards

Great Western

Catalogue states DCC ready with 22pin PluX socket

Directional and cab lights

Believe it is designed with sound in mind ie speaker friendly.

I am hoping to fit SW digital sound (use on DC) but plenty of time to sort that out yet.

Hattons and others take pre-orders for tankers and brake vans. Apparently no word on future availability of locos.

Last weeks update on the Tower Models website:

Dapol.

Had an answer from Joel at Dapol yesterday and he has confirmed that the 6 wheel milk tankers should finally become available around March / April 2013. They should also begin tooling the Class 08 any time now and therefore release the model around the middle of the year if all goes well.

I'd say that the 6 wheel milk tanks wont be with us until June at the earliest as there is still a lot to do on them plus the CNY brak for basically 3 weeks will slow things up a lot.

The 08 around a Telford release to be honest.

cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, is the Pill Box coming before or after the milkers?

I have just received my Dapol O guage plank wagons and have to admit I am very pleased with them. They are alot more than just scaled up 00 wagons, the detail on the wheels and brake levers is very good in particular and it is a nice feature to be able to open and close the side doors. The only problems I have encountered so far are the fragilityof the side door hinges (one of mine is already broken after opening it once) and the thickness of the plastic sides; I am concerned that over time the sides may bow as the plastic ages. My second point remains only a concern as it is too early to see how they will react over time.

Received Dapol wagons from hattons yesterday. "Lionheart" quality at kit prices.Very life-like.

Understand point about tip-door hinges - best technique is to open using index finger dead centre of door; close by lifting with index finger at centre of top plank and click shut.

I'd say that the 6 wheel milk tanks wont be with us until June at the earliest as there is still a lot to do on them plus the CNY break for basically 3 weeks will slow things up a lot.

The 08 around a Telford release to be honest.

cheers

Dave

I'd say around the same time if not earlier as its a different factory.

cheers

Dave

Thanks for the updates Dave.

A question to Dapol Dave:

Why milk tankers and not the far more common chemical or petroleum tankers? What O gauge could really use is a RTR petroleum tanker, suitable for the inter-war years and up to BR steam days. As it is there are very few kits for such a thing...

Are there any plans to produce one any time soon?

A question to Dapol Dave:

Why milk tankers and not the far more common chemical or petroleum tankers? What O gauge could really use is a RTR petroleum tanker, suitable for the inter-war years and up to BR steam days. As it is there are very few kits for such a thing...

Are there any plans to produce one any time soon?

Hi,

If I may interject.

There is a huge following for Milk Tankers, so such would make it viable for Dapol.

Isnt Heljan releasing a range of Oil/Petrol Tanks soon?

ATVB

CME

... plus they've already done the research/design in 2mm and 4mm on milk tanks.

"Class B 4 wheel tank car" indeed due from Heljan in late 2013: http://www.tower-mod...agons/index.htm

Although good for later rebuilds, these were only introduced in 1958, weren't numerous before 1960 and had largely gone by 1980 (OK there are bitumens working much later, and air brake conversions).

A WW2 type tank wagon, or a post war anchor mounted tank would be very welcome. Plenty of the SMBP fleet surviving until the later 1960s were wagons built anytime after c 1902 - and a good few survived much longer especially in TMDs.

Paul Bartlett

Although good for later rebuilds, these were only introduced in 1958, weren't numerous before 1960 and had largely gone by 1980 (OK there are bitumens working much later, and air brake conversions).

A WW2 type tank wagon, or a post war anchor mounted tank would be very welcome. Plenty of the SMBP fleet surviving until the later 1960s were wagons built anytime after c 1902 - and a good few survived much longer especially in TMDs.

Paul Bartlett

Yes, indeed. Something suitable for the 50's and early 60's would be very welcome

Howard

Just to add to the wish list of trucks - some 1970's/80's/90's RTR ballast rucks would be very welcome too - Grampus or various others....

RTR Grampus? The parkside kit falls together and can by built in an evening and painted within a second. I'd rather see less duplication with kit manufacturers if possible and see Dapol supply a selection of the thousands other options available.

RTR Grampus? The parkside kit falls together and can by built in an evening and painted within a second. I'd rather see less duplication with kit manufacturers if possible and see Dapol supply a selection of the thousands other options available.

Hear Hear - Slaters & Parkside kits are just superb @ 7mm scale, duplication would be a shame as there are so many other wagon types to be modelled.

Hi BT4,

Can you pop round for half an hour and finish off some of my wagon kits please :mosking: :imsohappy:

ATVB

CME

Hi to all, My original comments re the new Dapol 7mm wagons were not readable by the Admin man so I am resubmitting.

I have bought 3 but was so diappointed that I am disposing of them as soon as possible. The 5 plank design does not

seem to represent accurately any known RCH 5 plank wagon and all the liveries so far chosen are, in reality, on wagons

of different eras, dimensions and designs. The 8 Plank Izal livery should be on an end door wagon ( as made correctly,

in kit form, by another manufacturer ) and the 7 plank GW wagon appears to be an invention. The Brakegear is, in almost

every detail, incorrect. The wagons are about 1.7mm too long and the 8 plank body design has been distorted to make

the side the same shape as the 7 plank design, ie nearly 2mm too shallow. There are numerous other inaccuracies and

all in all these are, for the 21st century, about 50 years behind the times. I have a prewar semi mass produced wagon

with WORKING BRAKES & DOORS which is more accurate than the Dapol offerings. I suppose for those who collect obsolete

tinplate, or the current fad for new tinplate models, they are an advance but for anyone wishing to go "Finescale" they

really are a letdown. Finally, one plus point, the boxes are superb, I suggest the models be kept in them permanently.

Hi to all, My original comments re the new Dapol 7mm wagons were not readable by the Admin man so I am resubmitting.

I have bought 3 but was so diappointed that I am disposing of them as soon as possible. The 5 plank design does not

seem to represent accurately any known RCH 5 plank wagon and all the liveries so far chosen are, in reality, on wagons

of different eras, dimensions and designs. The 8 Plank Izal livery should be on an end door wagon ( as made correctly,

in kit form, by another manufacturer ) and the 7 plank GW wagon appears to be an invention. The Brakegear is, in almost

every detail, incorrect. The wagons are about 1.7mm too long and the 8 plank body design has been distorted to make

the side the same shape as the 7 plank design, ie nearly 2mm too shallow. There are numerous other inaccuracies and

all in all these are, for the 21st century, about 50 years behind the times. I have a prewar semi mass produced wagon

with WORKING BRAKES & DOORS which is more accurate than the Dapol offerings. I suppose for those who collect obsolete

tinplate, or the current fad for new tinplate models, they are an advance but for anyone wishing to go "Finescale" they

really are a letdown. Finally, one plus point, the boxes are superb, I suggest the models be kept in them permanently.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear this - I had high hopes when my local model shop mentioned that these models were on there way (slightly off of my era, yet just feasible), yet a little bird warned me that they/the pre-pro models, werent 'right', so I waited to see. One of the mags has picked up on your observations too.....

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Premium

"Lionheart" quality at kit prices.Very life-like.

for anyone wishing to go "Finescale" they really are a letdown.

I assume you are both talking about the same models - how strange that we get very positive comments :sungum: and very negative :nono: I don't know enough about the prototype to follow up on the comments above but I do know that I wouldn't notice or care if there is an error of 2mm - to my mind if it looks right then it is right.

Whether you like it or not Dapol (and Ixion) are to be congratulated for taking on the O Gauge market - I'm sure they realised it wouldn't be easy . . . . . . .

Mike

My two pennyworth.

I have in front of me 3 Dapol, a Skytex and a Lionheart PO wagon. None are a complete disaster and all would benefit from a little development (only an un used ex-works wagon does not have dirt in the joints.)

The Dapol ones look the part and the finish is good, yes there are oddities like the inappropriate brake cross coupling rod and the overly large brake shoe clearances but overall they seem better than the Skytrex and are cheaper, but not as good as the Lionheart which is dearer.

Regarding dimensions, well they may be not quite to plan, but there were many wagon builders and repairers so oddities abound, and they are wooden wagons - wood moves, A wooden wagon exposed to the elements can be expected to changer size. Some of the pictures of old wagons available on the net show such movement that I would not be at all surprised by a 3 inch change. These are decrepit examples and a reasonable in use wagon would not be so extreme, but an internal oak door at the local church shows a quarter inch variation over the year so a one inch change on a wagon seems quite in order. Variation in size is expected.

Then there's the fact that most wagon trains show a huge variety in wagon details, to get the right look I want variation in the wagons.

Would I buy more Dapol, yes. Would I buy more Lionheart , yes. Skytrex, well maybe (surprisingly the loads are quite good) but only at the right price. I also have a goodly stock of kits which will slowly be fed in. Given the right round-to-it even a scratch build may get finished.

Archived