Dapol 2012/13 (and now 2014) O gauge range discussion thread

cromptonnut

Presume that these locos are 2-rail. Any plans for 3-rail? There's a lot of it out there.

I have Atlas track and RTRs from Phil Radley, ETS, Darstaed, ACE to name but a few.

It would surely be a retrograde step for a new-to-the-market manufacturer to produce 3-rail stuff.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Now that Dapol has wetted our appetite by announcing their O gauge "Terrier", has anyone heard of a possible release date?

There was no date given on the handout they had on their stand - I asked about the 08 and was told April 13 so maybe someone will have asked about the Terrier?

Chris

Presume that these locos are 2-rail. Any plans for 3-rail? There's a lot of it out there.

I have Atlas track and RTRs from Phil Radley, ETS, Darstaed, ACE to name but a few.

No thanks!

To take a reto step like that would IMHO be a very bad thing indeed. 0 scale three rail survives in places like the USA and eastern Europe, thanks to the efforts of the likes of Paul Simon et al, but they really are like no more than toys! Yes! Even stuff from Sunset, when it's three rail! Very off putting to a beginner if there is a profusion of standards.

We have a good 0 gauge 2 rail standard here in the UK, let's keep it that way, please!

Regards,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

... a long time to wait - I was hoping on end of this year :cry:

Yeah, me too.....I am sure I read that the 08 would be here before Christmas.....oh well at least it lets me buy the Heljan 31 soon without incurring the wrath of the 710 because I bought the 08 as well!

I really need to get a plank running in the garage......presently I have a JLTRT40, Heljan 20, 37, 55 and soon the 31 also a Bachmann brass 08 (anyone want to buy that still in its box! :scratchhead: )

With Dapol and all the weekend announcements by Heljan, 7mm has never been so exciting.....yup, thats what I said.....exciting :locomotive:

No thanks!

To take a retro step like that would IMHO be a very bad thing indeed. 0 scale three rail survives in places like the USA and eastern Europe, thanks to the efforts of the likes of Paul Simon et al, but they really are like no more than toys! Yes! Even stuff from Sunset, when it's three rail! Very off putting to a beginner if there is a profusion of standards.

We have a good 0 gauge 2 rail standard here in the UK, let's keep it that way, please!

Regards,

John E.

Hear! Hear!

There's already a profusion of British 0 Gauge tinplate toy trains out there. We certainly don't want to follow the US pattern where scale modellers in S and 0 are far outnumbered by the 'Hi-Railers'!

• 2 weeks later...

It would surely be a retrograde step for a new-to-the-market manufacturer to produce 3-rail stuff.

Ed

I was merely making the point that that there are a lot of 3-rail O gauge layouts out there. Generally I find that 3-rail locos are very well engineered but too much rolling stock is rubbish (notable exception being Darstaed 5-BEL Pullman). I have nothing against 2-rail but believe that existing 3-rail users should not be totally ignored. A simple "conversion kit" for 2-rail to run on 3-rail would be nice. I have wired 16 v AC motors to run on 12-24v DC and it is not that difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

I note with interest (although said items are not of use for my current project) that DapolDave has just posted a status update to say that the 5, 7 and 8 plank open wagons have been sent to magazines for review today.

Hi,

It will be interesting to see, if the solebar issue has been sorted.....or if the mags pick up on it if it hasnt, all interesting stuff nevertheless!

ATVB

CME

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new on here, both forum & thread, but hope that Dapol stick to their guns & produce the smaller locos & rolling stock in 'O'.

(I have just bought an Ixion 0-6-0 ST that has just brought me into the scale.)

I'm loving all the micro/small layouts on here, & am looking to eventually produce one myself, but I need RTR to be able to do it.

I am tempted to pre order; but I remember Lima! So I need to see a picture of the actual article before committing money.

As for period, BR lion on crest, preferably; but Dapol's 08 might change my mind. :-)

There were samples of the 7 plank wagons at the Dapol N'Thusiasts Open day on Saturday, and punters were being allowed to pick them up to look at them. I'm not an O gauge modeller but the construction looked very robust, with quality 3-link couplings (much higher quality than I've seen in OO...). There were also painted test shots of the milk tanker body. Made in England, too. I had been going 30 miles before I realised I'd left my camera at home.

Almost enough to make me wish I had control of the garden. However hens and model trains don't go well together.

All the very best

Les

• RMweb Premium

I was told at the weekend the wagons are on the next consignment to my local supplier, so chomping at the bit here and the fact that they are actually made in England is even better news, its about time more were! And it just shows products do not need to be more expensive just because they are NOT made in China :nono:

I was told at the weekend the wagons are on the next consignment to my local supplier, so chomping at the bit here and the fact that they are actually made in England is even better news, its about time more were! And it just shows products do not need to be more expensive just because they are NOT made in China :nono:

Hi Guys,

Glad to hear it.

Have Dapol got the solebars and underframes correct for each type of wagon body - as I noticed on the pre-pro models that some later bodies were fitted to earlier solebars/underframes?

Looking forward to seeing them soon.

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Premium

Ok, i think this needs clarifying.

Production / catalogue stock is made in China, the special comissions are UK made here in Chirk.

Hope that helps?

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave........thanks for that, I thought it sounded too good to be true :resent:

Depends on the financial advantage... I could probably use six but couldn't afford to buy them all in one go, and if I was only saving (say) a fiver per wagon, I'd rather just take the hit and buy them when I can and spread the cost. As the price is almost double the Slater's kit, that would be a more troublesome, but cost-effective, option if I wanted undecorated ones.

Most milk tankers outside of preservation you couldn't see the livery anyway, because they got very filthy very quickly - and it seems a shame to buy a nice decorated one just to airbrush weather it to within an inch of its life...

Archived