Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I'm having a go at weathering my Presflo. 

Round 1 Fade the wagon down

Attempt 1. Yesterday. To fade down the colour, I brushed on some very dilute white ink but when it dried it ended up rather speckled with pigment, the liquid not liking the surface of the wagon.

post-14049-0-75071700-1379848813.jpg

Attempt 2. This morning. Brushed on drops of diluted white acrylic and ended up working off the pigmenty stuff from previous coating.

Attempt 3.  Another round of drops of diluted white acrylic soaking up surplus liquid with dry brush.  Then damp brush to get a more even coating.  Not brilliant, but it'll do (I hope!). 

It still looks pretty ropey, especially when caught on camera.

post-14049-0-49231600-1379849549.jpg

Doesn't look as bad in this view.

post-14049-0-99992300-1379849579.jpg

[i must give Camel Quay its weed round the waters edge...]

Round 2. Weather down the rest of it and give it a coat of cement like this:

post-14049-0-33615100-1379849934.jpg

To follow.....

URGENT :mosking:

Any suggestions for painting Bachmann wagon surfaces (without a complete start-again primer) most welcome.

Enjoy your modelling.

Polly

• Like 2

It looks o.k. Polly, I need to get some Prestflows as they look cool and I think a rake going out over the Viaduct will be good.

O DEAR, NO VIADUCT YET, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodge. :sungum:

P.S. will reply to pm in a mo. :scratchhead:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

The real point is, Polly, that you are using a photo of the real thing to decide how to tackle the job. Far too many "weathering" exercises are carried out on the basis of the modeller's imagination or memory. You'll surely get there.

Would a coat of flat varnish be more likely to accept further weathering?

• RMweb Premium

It would look even better if they were going over the side of the viaduct. :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Over the Uxbridge Road....with trolley bus under....

Not sure I'll have the room other than in my imagination...but I'm still considering it.... :pardon:

I do have a section of viaduct .... :yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The real point is, Polly, that you are using a photo of the real thing to decide how to tackle the job. Far too many "weathering" exercises are carried out on the basis of the modeller's imagination or memory. You'll surely get there.

Part of the problem is the colour Ian.  We were talking to Barry O about this down at swindon last week and capturing the colour of the 'cement' dirtying/staining depends on two things as far as I can see - how long it's been there and how dense it was when it got wet, and what it's on top of.  Then there is the other question of where it landed and stayed.

Photos are essential to answer all of these as you say but Barry has had no luck in finding picture from overhead to show the dirtying pattern on top of the vehicle.

• RMweb Premium

Kind of you to say so, Ian.

Thanks - I'll try the varnish before continuing.

And if all else fails, I can always resort to a pack of 3 weathered ones....  :jester: :jester: :jester:

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Part of the problem is the colour Ian.  We were talking to Barry O about this down at swindon last week and capturing the colour of the 'cement' dirtying/staining depends on two things as far as I can see - how long it's been there and how dense it was when it got wet, and what it's on top of.  Then there is the other question of where it landed and stayed.

Photos are essential to answer all of these as you say but Barry has had no luck in finding picture from overhead to show the dirtying pattern on top of the vehicle.

Mike, maybe we could get someone at Shildon to take a photo of their Preslo from above...I don't think they'd let the likes of me scambling up there... :mosking:

Though I do wonder how much was "cleaned" off before it reached the shed / preservation.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Mike, maybe we could get someone at Shildon to take a photo of their Preslo from above...I don't think they'd let the likes of me scambling up there... :mosking:

Though I do wonder how much was "cleaned" off before it reached the shed / preservation.

Polly

I have got several pictures of 'cement filth' although it's not on wagons but at least it show the colour(s).  From what I saw of passing Presflos over the years, and later bulk cement wagons, the top would be covered in cement dust some of which got wet and caked into pretty hard lumps but away from teh hes it would basically be a tin, but noticeable, coating.

• RMweb Premium

I have got several pictures of 'cement filth' although it's not on wagons but at least it show the colour(s).  From what I saw of passing Presflos over the years, and later bulk cement wagons, the top would be covered in cement dust some of which got wet and caked into pretty hard lumps but away from teh hes it would basically be a tin, but noticeable, coating.

Thanks, Mike.  On the back of that, I've just checked my book.  Photo plate 30 in Branch Lines of West London, Middleton Press, shows a coating over the tops of both Presflos on the Brentford Branch in 1960.

I'll need to do more work on the top of mine, then.

post-14049-0-81033600-1379871532.jpg

[Room lighting has given it a blue-ish tint]

Polly

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Mike.  On the back of that, I've just checked my book.  Photo plate 30 in Branch Lines of West London, Middleton Press, shows a coating over the tops of both Presflos on the Brentford Branch in 1960.

I'll need to do more work on the top of mine, then.

attachicon.gifIMG_0233 Presflo white acrylic 3.JPG

[Room lighting has given it a blue-ish tint]

Polly

And don't forget the most spillage and build-up would be around the hatches and on the centreline ;)

• RMweb Premium

Polly

add a very small drop of washing up liquid to your ink/water mix - this lets it stick to Bachmann finishes ..

Keep working from good photos -and try some "concrete " weathering powder  to the wet ink mix - its give sit that cementy look. To get the grey streaks get a soft make up sponge tipped applicator with a tiny little bit of black ink wash and pull it over the white... off out this am will try and get something of the technique down on to some photos.. 

• RMweb Premium

Polly

add a very small drop of washing up liquid to your ink/water mix - this lets it stick to Bachmann finishes ..

Keep working from good photos -and try some "concrete " weathering powder  to the wet ink mix - its give sit that cementy look. To get the grey streaks get a soft make up sponge tipped applicator with a tiny little bit of black ink wash and pull it over the white... off out this am will try and get something of the technique down on to some photos.. 

Thanks, Barry.  The washing up liquid worked a treat with my tube of artists acrylic so I've stuck with that for this one.  It also got me motivated to bash on with it.

So. Presflo - Day 2.

I applied another wash on the sides of the Presflo and then tackled the top with horizontal brush stokes until I got it fairly consistent.  I let this dry.

For the next layer on the top, I dry brushed minute quantities of neat paint and kept dabbing it in with the brush until I got a fairly even powdered look.

Happy with that, I had a go on the chassis.

That only took 2 hours.  :D

Painting and pictures were done in artificial light.  I'll have to wait till morning to see how it really looks... :blind:

but in the meantime here are a couple of pics.

post-14049-0-15107000-1379977766.jpg

post-14049-0-31989400-1379977923.jpg

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Barry.  The washing up liquid worked a treat with my tube of artists acrylic so I've stuck with that for this one.  It also got me motivated to bash on with it.

So. Presflo - Day 2.

I applied another wash on the sides of the Presflo and then tackled the top with horizontal brush stokes until I got it fairly consistent.  I let this dry.

For the next layer on the top, I dry brushed minute quantities of neat paint and kept dabbing it in with the brush until I got a fairly even powdered look.

Happy with that, I had a go on the chassis.

That only took 2 hours.  :D

Painting and pictures were done in artificial light.  I'll have to wait till morning to see how it really looks... :blind:

but in the meantime here are a couple of pics.

attachicon.gifIMG_0235 Presflo white acrylic 4.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0237 Presflo white acryic 6.JPG

Polly

I think that's more like it Polly apart from the lack of 'caking' around the hatches and walkway.  I've added some 'cement' pics to Barry's thread which show - I hope - how the colour does (or doesn't) work.

• Like 1

Hi Polly,

Seems like you are getting to grips with the weathering there - good job! The other thing to look at would be the Tamiya weathering master powders. I use these all the time and find them very easy to work with. As has been mentioned before, a coat of matt varnish before and after is in order. Have a look early on in the Little Didcot thread where I do a run through of how I do weathering on a 5 plank open. I'm not saying it. the right way to do things but it is my way of doing it and it works for me!

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to show tonight though I have been playing around with Green Scene's "Concrete" paint to see what I can do with it.

Some pics instead.

This is the Shildon Presflo.  It's earlier than the one I took above and it already looks as though the "cleaners" have had a go at it..

http://www.nrm.org.uk/globalmedia/NRM_CT_937465_2.png

Click the dots on the right of this set of 3 to scroll across.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1986-7004&pageNo=3#panel-1

So, in answer to my own question, it looks as though it has been spruced up quite a bit. but there's certainly enough there for reference.

Shildon, August 2013

post-14049-0-56093600-1380058328.jpg

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One thing I noticed today in the photos at this link (the second one in my previous post)

http://www.nrm.org.u...ageNo=3#panel-1

is that we have views of both sides.   It seems I'm guilty of looking but not seeing.

I also came across this pic today.  These Presflos look a lot cleaner than I'd have expected after seeing a few photos out on the road although it's quite mucky below the waistline in this pic.  Does this suggest a "brushing down" after filling at the top or a different loading point/practice or preened for that executive photo shoot?  I mean, look at that road wagon - just out of the show room?

Title and Description of this one states: Presflo cement wagon loading/unloading to Earles Cement road wagon.

1996-7038_BTF_640_13.jpg

© National Railway Museum and SSPL

It's great seeing some work going on around these things even if it is just for the camera/ad in some glossy magazine.

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah that reminds.  Some crumpets to toast.

So while I do that here's a pic here of some more presflos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/6414367619/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Polly

Edit - duplication

Edited by southern42

Ah that reminds.  Some crumpets to toast.

So while I do that here's a pic here of some more presflos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/6414367619/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Polly

Edit - duplication

Hi Poll, now that would make a nice LITTLE shunting layout, not much stock, simple storage siding and a lot of fun. :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

Bodgit :sungum:

AND LEAVE MY SMILIES ALONE :stinker: hahhaaaaa

• RMweb Premium

Hi Poll, now that would make a nice LITTLE shunting layout, not much stock, simple storage siding and a lot of fun. :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

Hi Andy,

It'll be incorporated in GWRd... it's the branch line....to the dock.........and back.......not that you'll see that end.... :jester:

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you've all been wondering what I've been up to lately, here's a few pics from Saturday's Barrow Hill Live.  Brilliant event made even more special by the glorious weather.

First, some GWR offerings from the Bachmann cabinet.

No. 9635 [No. 9642 at Southall, 1959-64;also No. 9659 in 1965]

post-14049-0-27377300-1380573051.jpg

No. 7717 [7730 and 7731 withdrawn Southall 1959]

post-14049-0-89277100-1380575938.jpg

No. 4680 [4622 and 4697 withdrawn Southall 1964; 4609, 4611 and 4638 withdrawn 1965]

post-14049-0-43826400-1380576780.jpg

Dukedog No. 9003 [I've not seen these allocated to Southall nor photos of any visitorsLooks nice though.]

post-14049-0-97761000-1380577249.jpg

Those shunter's trucks

post-14049-0-86316300-1380577754.jpg

post-14049-0-29832600-1380577909.jpg

And finally, what you've all been waiting for:

In the blue corner...

post-14049-0-74912900-1380578426.jpg

And in the other blue corner...

post-14049-0-24906600-1380578449.jpg

Polly

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening YOUNG Polly, Any chance of seeing any track going down this side of Christmas, :no: or has Ray got you working on Camel Quay still? :O

Bodge :sungum:

I doubt I'll have any track down but I hope to get closer to something that I can map out on a baseboard.  I'd like to start laying it down in the New Year.  There are several things I'd like to put into it but inevitably, I will have to leave some things out and / or rework the landscape.  For instance, the run in to the factory loading bay will be from the opposite direction.  This was originally part of a margarine factory but it could become the motor factory with its 4wheel diesel and launching its Railmotors. 

I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend looking at exhibition layouts to see what works for them and what might work for me.

Ah, yes. Camel Quay.  I've got to grow plant plonk down some grass before it's Christmas outing.

Polly

Edited by southern42

Umh, A Margarine factory indeed, :O  that's going down a SLIPPERY SLOPE :no:

You also FAILED to mention WHICH new year :beee: .

Will you use a plasic Polly Tunnel to grow your grass for QC :nono: .

Good luck and above all,

HAVE FUN :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Bodgit :sungum: