Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Olympics for sports fans

Really pleased for Katherine Grainger, not forgetting Anna Watkins, and solid bronzes for the mens pairs and single sculls. New Zealand have had a good day at Dorney too.

Blown away by Jessica's 100m hurdles earlier, UK record and world best in a heptathlon!

• RMweb Gold

Greatly enjoyed the sailing coverage. The Beeb have to be congratulated. I'd just love to be out there.

What a morning on the water and as for Jess' time.........!

For the sailors out there, I've never seen match racing tactics used in an olympic points race. Ainslie when he's riled up, watch out! All level going into Sunday.

Can't wait to get to Weymouth on Monday!

...some bronze medal judo now with a Brit..!

Edit..Karina Bryant has just won the ladies heavyweight bronze. Brilliant. :sungum:

Just watched Ben Ainslie winning the last Finn race before the medal race on Sunday, again brilliant TV coverage. They were talking about how Ben was manipulating the Dane by slowing things down and allowing the Dutch boat to catch and pass him - can someone who understands the nuances of sailing explain how that works? If Ben was 100m or so in the lead how can he affect boats behind him?

Loved the interview with Ben last night after the Dutch guy had 'forced' him to do a penalty turn just in case he had touched the marker - making Ben mad is not the best thing to do!

Star going well too, hopefully the UK 49er will still be in the medals at the end.

• RMweb Premium

Men's team pursuit - one word.

AWESOME!

Cheers,

Mick

And three words for Vicky - EVEN MORE AWESOME! (Apologies for the shouting, but it was a superb way to come back from yesterday's disappointment)

Cheers,

Mick

Tirunesh Dibaba was supreme in the womens 10K, but Jo Pavey (at 38) and Julia Bleasdale were the top Europeans at 7th and 8th and both did PBs - very well done, and what more can you ask? Fingers crossed for Jessica tomorrow, just get a decent marker down in the first long jump and then go for it! Looking forward to Helen Jenkins in the triathlon.

And will Ben "Don't Make Me Angry" Ainsley do a Scheidt on Hogh-Christensen in the Finn medal race on Sunday?

World record and another gold! Beating the Aussie's once again was another bonus.... :D

Now, now, you chaps, don't let's be beastly to the Aussies - if you really want to make them mad, the best way to go about it is to patronise the hell out of them... :jester:

Most of the UK rowing Gold medalists....:D

Interested in the tennis coverage as there was little comment about AM. Seems the whole thing is being treated as a bit Mickey Mouse...

Kids crying and mobile phones going off with text alerts plus loud speaking journalists certainly separate it from Grand Slam tournaments and it's clear that an Olympic Gold rates well below a Grand Slam title for some players. Federer/Del Potro didn't fall into that category and I'm sure the five set final on Sunday will be hard fought.

Interested in the tennis coverage as there was little comment about AM. Seems the whole thing is being treated as a bit Mickey Mouse...

Kids crying and mobile phones going off with text alerts plus loud speaking journalists certainly separate it from Grand Slam tournaments

The umpires should still be sorting that out, have the players been complaining?

• RMweb Gold

Just on the quiet, we won three golds yesterday.

So..

I get the distinct impression that we don't seem to go in for sculling (in the old sense - single sculling in modern) as I hardly ever see folk of Olympian age out on the river although I probably get around too late in any case. So one of those would appear to have been a 'bye' as far as the UK is concerned. As far as the other two go - presumably double sculls and paired oar? - congratulations and perhaps we should be doing a joint letter to the 'Sydney Herald' ;)

Astonishing sprint finish and virtual dead heat in the triathlon just now - no camera on the line (never imagined they would need one I suppose) and deserved joint golds I reckon. Bad luck Helen in 5th, but it seems she missed out on some recent training.

Now totally peed off. Got absorbed in the athletics and missed the Mens four. Just flicked over and see they got the gold.

My only criticism so far of the BBC coverage is that if you are watching one channel there is little or no warning to turn over to the other so as not to miss a gold medal race....

Archived