Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Where can I find some non-Olympics related news

rovex

I'm not knocking the Olympics but am I the only one who wants to know whats going on in the rest of the world. Every news programme I've watched since last Friday night have been almost completely Olympics related.

I WANT to know what is happening in the rest of the non Olympics obsessed world. I don't really care about empty seats or how many medals some country's got. I want to know whats happening in Syria, or Egypt or even - god forbid - down the road.

Bring back proper news.

• RMweb Premium

I was hoping that with modern technology, the BBC News website would have some sort of story selector so that you could untick Olympic related stuff so that you only get ordinary news but alas no. My telly is mostly staying off for the next couple of weeks...

• RMweb Gold

Bit of an odd topic to start, the biggest sporting event is on in the UK for the first time in 64 years, can't imagine it being shunted to the end of a news bulletin.

As for the rest of the worlds news, a summary

Some bad people have guns, they kill people, those people then get guns and they kill the bad people, in the midst of this other countries will try and sell both groups more guns.

Hang on we've seen this before....

Hang on there was another story this morning. .. apparently the Police lost some keys last week, but it's ok the locks have been changed.

Yes, but it isn't news (yawn, it has started already three days ago, all we need now is three seconds in a fortnight's time 'The olympics have ended'), it is games. There is already adequate broadcast time dedicated to all the hopping, running, splashing, ball whacking. Fortunately there are now alternative external news reporting organisations accessible from the UK...

Sometimes it's better to leave the telly, the radio and the internet off and have no news at all, except for the news that comes through the post or from your friends & family. Things will be much the same in two or three weeks' time.

....As for the rest of the worlds news, a summary

Some bad people have guns, they kill people, those people then get guns and they kill the bad people, in the midst of this other countries will try and sell both groups more guns.

Hang on we've seen this before....

"Civil insurrection in Middle East. Many dead in faraway country, of which we'd prefer to know nothing...."

Hang on there was another story this morning. .. apparently the Police lost some keys last week, but it's ok the locks have been changed.

Buckles undone?

If you have freeview, as already pointed out: Al Jazeera is watchable. For a laugh you can always watch the Russian RT: heavilly politicsed in Russia's favour, but some different items in there.

Give it another couple of weeks and there will be some on TV and radio and in the papers. For most of that time I shall be away on holiday in a state of blissful ignorance. The only downside of that is that the next BRM will arrive in my absence and I'll miss all the excitement.

Chris

I'm not knocking the Olympics but am I the only one who wants to know whats going on in the rest of the world. Every news programme I've watched since last Friday night have been almost completely Olympics related.

I WANT to know what is happening in the rest of the non Olympics obsessed world. I don't really care about empty seats or how many medals some country's got. I want to know whats happening in Syria, or Egypt or even - god forbid - down the road.

Bring back proper news.

Try Al Jazeera news channel - always informative and interesting. Nicely balanced coverage of important news events.

Tim

1pximage.png

1pximage.png

• RMweb Premium

Try Al Jazeera news channel - always informative and interesting. Nicely balanced coverage of important news events.

Tim

1pximage.png

1pximage.png

Al Jazeera balanced - well that is News.

You could always try Fox News for "balanced" reporting :nono:

Keith

Archived