Stupid people who give railway enthusiasts a bad name

Sometimes I cringe when I am out taking photos of trains. This senior gentlemen carried a ladder to the end and edge of the platform at Penzance Mazey Day this year. He is standing in this position as a local service is about to leave from this platform and only moved at the last minute. He was not on his own, never used the ladder, but made sure he got in front of many of us at the station. The oldest Chav in Cornwall maybe!

DSCN7696edt.jpg

XF

I think his ladder needs weathering, it doesn't look very realistic does it?

• RMweb Gold

P.S. To be honest, I think anyone who has a 2ft long lens and is proud of it is making up for smaller parts of his / her's amatony! :jester: :P ;)

Mines 2 foot and it's got an extender - and so has the lens.

• RMweb Gold

I had positioned myself at the other end of the platfarm away from the 1st car stop board so knew that I wouldnt have it in the shot. As I was walking away all I could hear was them grumbling about it.

Had a similar incident at Castleton a few years ago. Large contingent at the Rochdale end of the platform, I knew there was a local due on our side, so stood casually against the fence to the Manchester side of the stop board along with 2 sightseers and a young lad. Local pulled in and stopped just short of me as the special came into view and stood there until after it had passed. I got a nice shot with my pocket camera as did the lad with mobile phone. Judging by the language the clagarazzi didn't fare too well.

• RMweb Premium

I still cringe with embarrassment at the action of the minority of "photographers" at Doncaster 150 Open Day!

An incident that still amuses me happened in May 1999, that day three Deltics ran on the ECML for the first time since 1981. I was at Newark Northgate, near the north end of the Down platform waiting for D9000 ( I think ) hauling a VSOE train northwards. My father was at the south end as a back-up in case of "bowling".

D9000 duly came and it was regulated into the Up line and there was a mass groaning from all the photographers on the Up platform. My Dad got the best shot of that train at that station because he was the only one there!

• RMweb Gold

The photographers/enthusiasts/call them whatever that really annoy me (aside from the trespassers) are what I call "tourist spotters" - they turn up 2 minutes before a special is due, get in the way, try and take the best places and then vanish as soon as the special has passed - (generally) only interested in getting magazine shots I reckon.

• RMweb Premium

I know its mean but the biggest laugh I had was when tornado ran through my local station. All these "Professional" photographers setting up equipment on the Platform past the fences that designate where public cant go ( but still techically on the Platform). As Tornado came flying through, so did the Stopping 150 at the station, blockling their 'Perfect' shot. :sarcastichand:

I know its mean to laugh but they were going on about having the best position to take a picture from, but obviously not being able to read the info board saying that the incoming 150 was due at the same time.

I had positioned myself at the other end of the platfarm away from the 1st car stop board so knew that I wouldnt have it in the shot. As I was walking away all I could hear was them grumbling about it.

Alistair

Is this the one on youtube?

........One thing I'd like to do if someone is shouting abuse at me in such an occasion, is to start wearing my Hi-Viz vest with my employers logo on it (in case you didn't know: I work for the railways ;)) to ruin their shots thoroughly and completely. Gosh, I like my job on days like that :) :lol:

Only about fifteen times (this week) Dutch :no:

I try to avoid the "gallereries", but I don't know how many days, weeks, months of my life has passed by waiting for people to get out of the way - but I would never shout abuse and certainly not at "non-enthusiasts". Rather than waste it, I occupy the time studying those people.

The worst are those you find in railway museums, who come along after you've set up the camera on a tripod and suddenly decide that your subject is perhaps the most interesting artefact they've ever seen. They spend an age reading all the information boards in front of it, occasionally looking out of the corner of their eye to see whether they are still irritating you.

Then there are the ones you get at open days. Always dad with a child in a pushchair. For some reason they always want to look up under the footplate of a steam loco - presumably some misplaced upskirt fetish.

Then there are Germans. I have this theory that Germans are gaseous. Put a party of Germans in a big open space and rather than remain as a cohesive lump, they fill the space with a kind of Brownian motion, which is rather unfortunate if you're intending people-free pictures anywhere within that space. (To any Germans reading this: mit freundlichen Grüßen - no offence meant, just being humorous. Humorous? Oh sorry, I forget...).

Finally there are the Silly Old Gits. I'm sure they've forgotten more about steam locos than I'll never know, and they're constantly exchanging pearls of wisdow as they inspect a locomotive in twos or threes. For some reason (again I bow to their superior knowledge), the finest pearls are always exchanged when stood right in front of the cylinders, and here they stay. And stay. And stay.

• RMweb Gold

IThe worst are those you find in railway museums, who come along after you've set up the camera on a tripod and suddenly decide that your subject is perhaps the most interesting artefact they've ever seen.

When I'm out nowadays I think the locals find me more interesting than the trains.

I always defer to photographers - and tend to apologise when I walk in front of them.

I was at MOMA in NYC the other week and the photographers were really intrusive though - I thought, "I'm at an Art Museum and have as much right to stand in front of a piece enjoying it as they had".

I'm not sure what the answer is because at times I want to take photos too.

Best, Pete.

Hi all!

I've been at Penzance Stn for the odd photo over the last few days (and will be for another few weeks!) and I always do my utmost to be unobtrusive. Once we went to see the Flying Scotsman as it went through Solihull and whilst on the platform trying to get some pics we were jostled & pushed by adults seemingly trying to get the 'perfect shot' - not caring that they were pushing my 2 young children about at the time - edging them closer to the platform edge. That really was enough to have put people off enjoying trains and the railway!

TTFN!

Charles

Once we went to see the Flying Scotsman as it went through Solihull and whilst on the platform trying to get some pics we were jostled & pushed by adults seemingly trying to get the 'perfect shot' - not caring that they were pushing my 2 young children about at the time - edging them closer to the platform edge. That really was enough to have put people off enjoying trains and the railway!

TTFN!

Charles

I have had similar problems when out and about so I (not so) politely inform the photographer that we were there first and if you touch my kids again I will not be very impressed. That usually ensures they behave although on 1 occasion, just as the train arrived, a photographer went and pushed my 5 year old out the way so my son stamped on his foot just as he took his photo, the photographer and I "discussed" the matter afterwards! :triniti:

• RMweb Gold

I try to avoid the "gallereries", but I don't know how many days, weeks, months of my life has passed by waiting for people to get out of the way - but I would never shout abuse and certainly not at "non-enthusiasts". Rather than waste it, I occupy the time studying those people.

It would appear that you have not come across the Japanese - who at times seem to be able to combine into a group of no more than a handful all the traits you have mentioned plus carrying out a series of 'rotating' group photos which seem to me each member taking a turn to photo the rest of them standing in at least three different places in front of the loco in succession. However they usually seem to be very polite because if they realise you wish to take a pic one of them immediately takes charge of the rest and marshals them out of your way with lots of bowing and smiling - which it seems only polite to return after you've got your pic.

I think this kind of anti-social, don't listen to the rules, swear at others, tell others what to do, etc behaviour just seems to arrive when some people buy big cameras with stupidly large lens's, not just railway 'enthusiats'. I won't say everyone, my father and brother have both aquired this type of equipment and i've never seen some of the behaviour listed here out of them. But a girl i work with has one and the politest way i can think to put it is she's becoming more of a b***h each time that damned camera appears.

Anyway, I help on a purley voluntary basis with giving tours of a recently dissused military bunker. These happen once every 2 months and a very varried range of people from casual onlookers to folks that used to work in the bunker come on the tour, sometimes some of them have cameras. The last tour I did had a group of large camera wielding folks that were quite self involved with all their equipment so the tour was split into 2 to help accomodate them and not have 'general public' in the way. The brief before going down the hole always states that you stay with the the person leading the tour and you go where they say as it is very easy to become disorientated and lost and it is an unsafe area (plus we'd hate to accidently turn all the lights out and lock someone down there.......again.....(not my fault that one!)) So I took the first group that didn't have cameras and gave them the tour, and the guy with the keys followed on with the 'bunkerazzi' 10 min later. When i spoke with him afterwards he said he didn't even get half way through walking them around before he had to threaten to end the tour early and remove them all because they were just wandering off to snap wherever and whatever they felt like. The rules don't stop applying just because you have a big camera and think you're gods-gift to photography!

• RMweb Gold

I think this kind of anti-social, don't listen to the rules, swear at others, tell others what to do, etc behaviour just seems to arrive when some people buy big cameras with stupidly large lens's, not just railway 'enthusiats'.

The worst behaviour I've seen has been by people with "snappy" cameras, typically more senior members of society who want to trespass or push their way to the front. I don't believe the size of the camera is significant, its the attitude of those wielding them.

It would appear that you have not come across the Japanese - who at times seem to be able to combine into a group of no more than a handful all the traits you have mentioned plus carrying out a series of 'rotating' group photos which seem to me each member taking a turn to photo the rest of them standing in at least three different places in front of the loco in succession. However they usually seem to be very polite because if they realise you wish to take a pic one of them immediately takes charge of the rest and marshals them out of your way with lots of bowing and smiling - which it seems only polite to return after you've got your pic.

Ah so, Mike-san. I find the Japanese unfailingly polite, yet quite serious about their photography - if not the latest digital wizardry, then medium format. One trait I've observed is that they will be the first to find an elevated viewpoint - be it signal, water tower or other structure.

Stupid people are a fact of life so it is futile to expect not to come across them in public places like stations. I was recently accosted by a female photographer who asked in broken English if we could be friends and would I stand over by the fence so she could swing around for a going away photo. I think my kneeling down at her feet unnerved her. It was only to show her that she would get her two shots but she uttered merde as the train passed so maybe her batteries were exhausted.

From your username, I suspect you use Old Nick-ons?

Outstanding! :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

(I use a vintage 2003 sony digital camera thing. Nothing special, but it still works, takes a good enough picture for an average joe like me, has survived various trips around the world, and has a decent waterproof case, so I can't see the point in getting a new camera for the sake of getting one when i could spend that money on a model......(or the missus and kids))

SWMBO has a college diploma in photography. Lesson 1 which was drummed into their heads on a regular basis was "do what ever it takes to get the shot". Some of the professor's examples included stopping on the Golden Gate bridge in rush hour just to get the perfect sunrise. If such an attitude is programmed into the professionals is it any wonder the amateurs behave the same way?

Archived