Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Stupid people who give railway enthusiasts a bad name

Its not fair to generalise to be honest. I get quite good shots out of my S2950, but I do eventually want a decent SLR as the quality is much better, with easier to make adjustments.

That said, being a 6'3 20st bloke, no-one tends to try and push in front of you or otherwise try their luck :P

• RMweb Gold

Having exhibited at many shows over the years, yes there are some people out there that tend to stand out, some completely harmelss and others tend to get a bit carried away.

However, after exhibiting at a show recently where there were very few railway enthusiasts, the layout ended up with a red ice lolly spilt all the way down the skriting, sticky fingers all over the front of the scenic area (where the kids mother used a wet tissue wipe to clean it off and qucikly dissappeared - luckily its was a painted area that is going to get altered before that layouts next show), and a parent of some kids trying to hang his arms from the lighting pelmet, its not just odd railway enthusiasts that cause problems!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I had a very nice 7.62mm SLR once. (it was the only one in the armoury that still had wooden furniture on it.) I could take shots out to 600 yards with it.

Fantastic bit of kit and I was so sad when it was replaced by a poxy 5.56mm SA80 Mk 1.

Whoops sorry, wrong forum! All this talk of SLRs................

Regards

Richard

To be honest I just look at all these bloody ponces with huge SLR's and Lenses and think how stupid they really are.

I take some good shots with a 10mp Pentax small thing.

You might also find that some people actually have these cameras as part of their normal day job!

We had a small compact camera for a long time and my dad took up an old hobby and decided to go further with it so got a more professional bit of kit. The small one passed on to me, but when it decided not to work anymore, I have no choice but to use his camera (how unfortunate :yahoo: ) as I don't see the point of buying a new small one for the couple of times a year that I would use it.

Alistair

Regarding lens size, a convenient 35-200 lens will happen to be large. Another fellow might chose to buy prime 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm and 200mm lenses costing over 20 times more than a 35-200 zoom. Small bridge cameras carry quite extraordinarry built-in lenses, and they are convenient although they might lack some user control. It is purely a matter of choice and finances and far from poncy and stupid.

• RMweb Premium

I use both SLR and pocket digital cameras - the SLR is by far and away my preferred piece of kit. The pocket jobbie is 12.4Mp but doesn't take as good a picture as the SLR which is only 8Mp. It is also horrendously slow taking shots with what seems like an eternity between pressing the shutter and a picture being taken, not very good for action shots then ...

It let me down the other day taking a picture of a 60 at Peterborough as all I got was half the loco and the first wagon even though it was correctly framed when I hit the shutter.

Back to the SLR I'll second Coachmann with his comments about lenses.

That said, being a 6'3 20st bloke, no-one tends to try and push in front of you or otherwise try their luck :P

But surely, if most people did push in front if you you wouldnt be bothered because you could just take the picture over the top of their head!

It let me down the other day taking a picture of a 60 at Peterborough as all I got was half the loco and the first wagon even though it was correctly framed when I hit the shutter.

Can I suggest setting the camera to "drive" (or whatever equivalent) so that it takes a string of images for as long as you hold your finger on the trigger. Press the button early and hold it there until the target is out of shot. There is then a sporting chance that the target will be in frame for at least one of the pictures. I know it is not ideal, but it is a way to use the capability that a pocket camera offers to make up for deficiences elsewhere. Digital images are effectively free so you can simply delete the rubbish.

Best wishes

Eric

I had a very nice 7.62mm SLR once. (it was the only one in the armoury that still had wooden furniture on it.) I could take shots out to 600 yards with it.

Fantastic bit of kit and I was so sad when it was replaced by a poxy 5.56mm SA80 Mk 1.

Regards

Richard

I had a personal L1A1 with a heavy barrel and accurized by Fulton's of Bisley. I preferred the "plastic" furniture and had a customised (for me) butt length.

When I had to give it up it ended with War Museum Collection (though not on show - it's stashed in the basement I'm guessing).

The SA80 - useless pos with useless calibre - you cannot even fire it properly round left of cover....

Best, Pete.

Regards

Richard

Ah - give me a nice ancient Mk.5 Lee-Enfield every time - wooden stock and as much muzzle kick as a man can handle............ :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Ah - give me a nice ancient Mk.5 Lee-Enfield every time - wooden stock and as much muzzle kick as a man can handle............ :sungum:

You'll get me going now - last time I fired the Empire Test was with a .303 Lee Enfield Rifle No.4 (on Churn Range, lovely day as for once it was sunny and I came away with the 'Marksman' badge having managed to only drop 3% of the total marks).

As we have wondered so far off topic and discussed so many different things now we may as well close this down and if anyone wants to discuss cameras, firearms, fruit, fruitbats with cameras and ladders or strange people on trains shouting at those not so bright as themselves then they can start another thread in wheeltappers.

Archived