Stupid people who give railway enthusiasts a bad name

Yes, once you feel you have to do something like that to take a photo of a mediocre subject then you really need the ability to stand back, look at yourself and say, WTF?

I don't like fanatics of any persuasion...

Best, Pete.

this is exactly why I'd never describe myself as a 'rail enthusiast', may end up getting stereotyped with this plonker.

I'd also suggest if he 'lashed out' at anyone the result may not be favourable to him.

Mr Hunt (AKA Death) has been on the bashing scene for years, you'll find him in similar garb in photos of the Western class farewell tours back in the late 70's

He basically made himself unpopular by zealously reporting minor ticketing irregularites etc to guards and the BTP in some cases....

One of the best of the many stories I have heard involves one of the final class 50 tours in 1994 or so, packed with the usual partisan Hoover fans and the front coach bedecked with "Death Express" banners hanging from the windows....these had to be removed before the tour could depart and an irate Death sought out those responsible, throwing a coupleof punches and a pint of beer over someone!

Even drivers have been known to bellow his nickname at him as they pass, time has obviously not mellowed him though?

Yes, once you feel you have to do something like that to take a photo of a mediocre subject then you really need the ability to stand back, look at yourself and say, WTF?

I don't like fanatics of any persuasion...

Depends what you mean by a mediocre subject, the line is a freight-only stub of a former through route, the one I shot and the one he shot are the only passenger moves in more than a decade IIRC (although it now gets freights every so often) - the one I shot was one of the first trains after it was brought back into use after several years being 'mothballed' - the one he shot was the farewell tour for the Pacers, and almost guaranteed the only time Pacers have ever gone down there!

One mans mediocre is another mans something-a-bit-different....

• RMweb Gold

There is a photo in the 'signaller's gallery' along one of the corridors in Exeter Panel (the gallery is excellent and only features diesel traction on the Exeter Panel and fringe boxes area) that shows the not-so-good Doctor (we are sure it's him) right down in the 'vee' of the former Aller Jct, with a chocolate & cream Pacer passing.

I am very watchful when out and about when something unusual comes through and I will tip the BTP off if something exceptionally unusual is expected (for example steam on the Looe branch a couple of years ago).

This individual is known to everyone who works on the railway in the South West (if it is indeed him and I can't help but agree with Winterbournecm).

The matter has been noted.

• RMweb Gold

................. you'll find him in similar garb in photos of the Western class farewell tours back in the late 70's........................One of the best of the many stories I have heard involves one of the final class 50 tours in 1994 or so, packed with the usual partisan Hoover fans and the front coach bedecked with "Death Express" banners hanging from the windows............Even drivers have been known to bellow his nickname at him as they pass, time has obviously not mellowed him though?

I had a dedicated Vacbasher working for me must have been about 20-25 years ago. When he and his mates went out at the weekend on specials or Summer Saturday workings they used to have bets on whether and where they would see him. Anyone spotting him would yell "Doctor Death" out of the window as they approached.

- the one he shot was the farewell tour for the Pacers, and almost guaranteed the only time Pacers have ever gone down there!

One mans mediocre is another mans something-a-bit-different....

Martyn, No offence to you but anyone who finds a Pacer fascinating (wherever it is) is freaking doomed! I wouldn't take a photo of one if I saw it on the Bayonne stub.

Best, Pete.

PS OK maybe not... :drag:

• RMweb Gold

........................anyone who finds a Pacer fascinating (wherever it is) is freaking doomed! ...................

Like those condemned to ride on them, like a recent trip I had from Manchester to Southport and back. Didn't compare with my worst though, Gloucester to Taunton will stick in my memory for ever, can still feel the sores about 15 years on.

I do not know how true it is but someone once told me Dr D worked as a solicitors clerk, might explain his litigatious frame of mind if not other aspects of it. He is certainly no Wemick.

Many moons ago I was at Llanvihangel for a steam special. A group (I think it was 3) ran down trackside, presently a sapling began to shake and then came down and then another as they cut them down so they would not spoil their shot. There was a generator near the crossing and they began talking about pushing it down the bank! I was off duty and did not want to get involved but as I said to my mate if they started mucking about with the genny I would have no choice. As it was the train ran late, the sun went in behind the hills and off they shot to cause havoc elsewhere.

Like those condemned to ride on them, like a recent trip I had from Manchester to Southport and back. Didn't compare with my worst though, Gloucester to Taunton will stick in my memory for ever, can still feel the sores about 15 years on.

And I thought Gloucester to Exeter on a 150 was bad.

I had a dedicated Vacbasher working for me must have been about 20-25 years ago. When he and his mates went out at the weekend on specials or Summer Saturday workings they used to have bets on whether and where they would see him. Anyone spotting him would yell "Doctor Death" out of the window as they approached.

We we're still doing that at the tail end of virgin xc spoon bashing in the shire, he was a regular occuance on the north end of Platforms 4 and 5 at Exeter STD. It's been years since I bothered 'bellowing' at him, but we heard many a differnt story about him from the Top Men.

In all honesty, I don't think he ever helped himself, always coming across as an anti-social, most of the other Veg we knew at the time we're more than happy to have a natter and we're good for the Gen.

But anyway, it Might not be him. As has previously been stated.

Regards

Mayy

• RMweb Premium

It is the extreme minority of photters that has also put me off going to depot open days etc, the last one I attended was the Doncaster Works Open Day must have been ten years ago now and it was sad to see supposedly grown up men who would no doubt label themselves as 'professional photographers' screaming at kids to f*** off out of the way of their shot and it ddn't happen the once but a number of times that day. I subsequently learned that a steward apparently intervened but got sworn at for his troubles as well.

It is the extreme minority of photters that has also put me off going to depot open days etc, the last one I attended was the Doncaster Works Open Day must have been ten years ago now and it was sad to see supposedly grown up men who would no doubt label themselves as 'professional photographers' screaming at kids to f*** off out of the way of their shot and it ddn't happen the once but a number of times that day. I subsequently learned that a steward apparently intervened but got sworn at for his troubles as well.

That sounds like "The Plant 150" celebrations that I went too as well?

An excellent event and I got some very pleasing shots by being patient, very patient in some cases such as the class 89 which was quite difficult to get a clutter free shot of.

I took a mate along who though not really interested in trains as such fancied a day out, and who was amazed and amused by the behaviour of some of the photographers present.

I remember a family being shouted at as they took a close look at the line up of electric locos, turning around there was a line of near perfect stereotypical oddballs pointing their cameras and muttering/shouting abuse....apparently they were "The gallery" and as such were very important people with near exclusive photography rights!

Sadly we witnessed several incidents like this throughout the day, which lost any comedy factor in the end, my mate asked me if you always got so many wierdos at such events...sadly I had to reply that generally it was a fairly average showing for such folk.

Could never understand the mentality of being part of a "gallery" of photographers.

Much prefer being on my own, taking the view that I see in my head, rather than being part of the herd.

I have some sympathy with this view. As an occasional participant in organised private photo charters I accept the need for a "gallery" at such events. The loco crew can see where the photographers are and give of their best as regards exhaust - so much nicer a term than "clag", don't you think? However, not all locations chosen by the organiser will accommodate all participants and I'm afraid that some photographers will happily remain rooted to the spot for half a dozen runpasts rather than seek a different viewpoint and let someone else into the scrum. If an individual places himself forward of the gallery there are yells such as "You're in the shot", prompting the retort of "No, I'm in YOUR shot. Recompose it". Ah, the camaraderie and banter! With a bit of give and take it is possible for the unimaginative and the inventive to have an equally good bag of shots at the end of the day without lives being endangered.

Anyone who expects to take decent pictures at a public event without the interruptions of other people videoing nameplates or peering at rivets has either no concept of the thrill of the chase [quick, get that shot before he/she gets in the way!] or does not understand the purpose of the event.

Chris

I was recently stood in a well known location with about 9 members of railway photographer "legends" all boasting of 2012 photo triumphs and the various publications that had their pictures gracing the pages. Some peoples snobbery & ego are limitless and help fuel this ridiculous obsession about recording the best picture possible - sometimes at whatever cost. Sorry to b*tch - but with the right camera, location, train and weather - it aint brain surgery!

I was glad to get away...

• RMweb Gold

Martyn, No offence to you but anyone who finds a Pacer fascinating (wherever it is) is freaking doomed! I wouldn't take a photo of one if I saw it on the Bayonne stub.

I'm doomed, doomed (with apologies to Private Frazer)

I know its mean but the biggest laugh I had was when tornado ran through my local station. All these "Professional" photographers setting up equipment on the Platform past the fences that designate where public cant go ( but still techically on the Platform). As Tornado came flying through, so did the Stopping 150 at the station, blockling their 'Perfect' shot. :sarcastichand:

I know its mean to laugh but they were going on about having the best position to take a picture from, but obviously not being able to read the info board saying that the incoming 150 was due at the same time.

I had positioned myself at the other end of the platfarm away from the 1st car stop board so knew that I wouldnt have it in the shot. As I was walking away all I could hear was them grumbling about it.

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

i was once at a open day Worksop i think waiting for a clear shot of a loco this chap kept shouting at people to get out of the way then when he got his walked in front evey one waiting to take pics

Hi,

I'm sorry to say that if there's one group of people I hate, it's the railway photographers, not every single one, it's just the minority who seem to pop up everywhere!

When I go out and take photos, I always stay in view of officals, never go anywhere where I'm not meant to and always considerate to the other photographer's there. There's been a couple of occasions which I will always remember, both at Princess Risborough, one was when a Pannier Tank went down the chinnor branch from Birmingham, I saw the return leg, loads of people, some of which decided it was safe to walk off the platform end ramp close to the open 75mph running line and take some piccies!

Another wasn't dangerous, but just comical, when 6024 went from Paddington - Worcester, it was running late by 20 minutes and most of the photographers were on the opposite platform to the one 6024 would run through, so everytime a service train for London came in to stop, everyone ran to the other end of the platform just incase they got blocked, and when it departed, they ran back to their original place!

Also, it isn't just in the Railway world, I was at departures day for RIAT a couple of weeks ago with the 'look at my lens' group, a fuel tank driver stopped in front of these guys taking pictures and they hurled abuse and swear words at this bloke who was a volunteer and was doing his job, so I shouted to them "He's only doing his job", so they turned on me until I walked off!

Idiots if I can be so frank!

Simon

P.S. To be honest, I think anyone who has a 2ft long lens and is proud of it is making up for smaller parts of his / her's amatony! :jester: :P ;)

Archived