Stupid people who give railway enthusiasts a bad name

Sometimes I cringe when I am out taking photos of trains. This senior gentlemen carried a ladder to the end and edge of the platform at Penzance Mazey Day this year. He is standing in this position as a local service is about to leave from this platform and only moved at the last minute. He was not on his own, never used the ladder, but made sure he got in front of many of us at the station. The oldest Chav in Cornwall maybe!

DSCN7696edt.jpg

XF

• RMweb Premium

The stupidity of some so called 'enthusiasts' never ceases to amaze me. Fortunately the vast majority know the rules, know the limits and respect the safety of the railway and as both a railway professional and a enthusiast myself I am even more aware of the rules and restrictions that are there for everyones safety. I know the thrill there is to get that special shot but it is not worth risking yours or anyone elses life for at any time and thankfully the vast majority understand this.

The problem is that there will allways be the twonk like this who thinks these rules do not apply to them and even though I am an enthusiast myself, they will get a polite warning from me if I ever see someone putting themselves in danger or acting stupidly. Trouble is one of these days one of these idiots is going to wind up mangled in Tornado's motion or mashed by a passing EMU and then the spotlight of the safety wallers will fall hard on the whole of the enthusiast fraternity who will find the relative freedom that they have earned and respected up until now will suddenly disappear all through the actions of one selfish idiot.

& in my experience it seems to be the more senior spotter that behaves like this. Unfortunately they are also prone to trespass. I have caught many on camera over the years :no:

Why do they think they are immune to the rules?

Tim

Possibly because they remember the days when the likes of Eric Treacy wandered the rails freely with official permission? Several things wrong with that these days:

(1) Trains are a lot faster and quieter.

(2) I don't think Eric Treacy would have sued the railway if he suffered some injury.

(3) If an enthusiast had caused some inicident, someone would probably have had a stern word and the issue would otherwise have been swept under the carpet.

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought but if you see someone acting irresponsibly then take a photo that captures their face and pass it to BTP through their website with details of time and date. Even shout at them to get clear as they may be so intent on trying to be sneaky that they have totally missed an approaching train, be careful how you do it if the train is right on them as they may startle and get hit as a result.

I've pulled a person clear who was so distracted by their camera they had their rucksack foul of an approaching train and another who was so busy looking to see if the platform staff were watching as he went down the ramp he was oblivious to a train behind him coasting into the station.

It's not snitching it's protecting the other enthusiasts who get stopped and questioned for being by gates and fences but on the right side. Plus these idiots frequently block others photos who are in a legal position therefore encouraging others to push the limits and possibly end up on track.

Final part of the rant is the poor driver who clips one of these buffoons and has to live with it and then the track staff who have to pick up the pieces.

Remember seeing a chap on the disused platform at Castleford a few weeks back, presumably to catch one of the steam specials coming through. Must have either crossed the line from the in-service platform, or gotten through a hole in the fence further down the line and walked back up to the paltform. Either way, less than ideal. Not especially smart as the police station is one block over. As it happened I needed to make a text and phone call anyway, but this chap assumed I'd taken his picture and was calling the police as he promptly legged it.

I've been fortunate not to have anyone stepping in front of me, or otherwise breaking the law and putting themselves and others in danger. Bear in mind though, if you see someone trespassing, you are adequately equipped and within your rights to photograph and report them. You don't even have to call BTP anymore, just tweet a picture!

As has been mentioned, it only takes one numpty to lean too far forward and fall on the track in front of a moving train. Man vs train only ever has one outcome...

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt-

Oh.

Hang on....

I'm not so sure. XF's careful "adjustment" of the photo has me doubting this one. The mac looks too new. If it is the good Doctor, there have been countless photos of him published so one more won't hurt. Any chance of unmasking this mystery individual?

All joking aside - beware that this chap takes great exception to p-taking and has lashed out before and threatened legal action. He is well known around the network and his trademark jacket in all weathers is legendary!

Now there at least 2 examples of his stupidity I think his threats are somewhat hollow - he is breaking the law so let him take legal action! I am happy to provide a copy of the full photo to with details including the time and date to anyone he threatens with legal action.

On the other hand, he is not exactly a young person so he seems to be taking a lot of risks with his behavior too, however given his age maybe there is a health issue and he requires help in that area?

XF

On the other hand, he is not exactly a young person so he seems to be taking a lot of risks with his behavior too, however given his age maybe there is a health issue and he requires help in that area?

Well, he's already wearing the white coat.

Mine you, I've seen far worse, OK, he climbs stuff and puts ladders in silly places, at least he has the brains to move before the set passes him. I can think of far worse examples, like the ones who go around abusing and assaulting preserved railway staff at diesel galas, and yes I know one of our forum members is an offender in this department. I'm still waiting for him to "see me after work and kick my head in", but it takes more balls to stand up to a man than being abusive to a 14 year old Tea Room assistant doesn't it?

Unfortunately you get fookwights in every walk of life, it's how we deal with them that makes the rest of humanity better than they are.

• RMweb Gold

To balance things slightly, I have encountered several examples of abusive staff over the years - one fairly recently and rather amusingly was blindly supported by a "professional" railman, so I guess the "I support my mates no matter what they do" attitude still lives on in some places. One of the staff who decided that telling me to 4 cough, twice, no longer works for the railway. I'm not abusive to them and I don't expect them to be abusive to me.

As regards muppets, I had one at Helsby many years ago when the 37s were running, he wandered off the platform and walked trackside for a couple of hundred yards to get a clear shot, no platforms in the way, when I challenged him and pointed out how he was inviting authorities to clamp down on enthusiasts he merely replied "Who cares?" "I've got my photo now" and walked off - I did tell him that he needed to rest his right arm but couldn't get his car reg so BTP couldn't do anything (I tried them)

A more amusing incident which merlin46 and I were party to. (summarised)

We were at the South end of Acton Bridge, waiting for ? a 50 ?, this guy walks down and crosses the up slow and starts to wander off, walking alongside the up slow, back to traffic.

"Where are you going Sir*?" (OK I might have used the word d**kh**d instead of Sir) we enquired.

"Down here", he points Southwards

"You are trespassing, get back on the platform"

"My mate lives around here and he told me this is a footpath"

"My mate works for Network Rail and told me you're trespassing, now get back before I call the police"

He muttered under his breath but came back, he obviously felt uncomfortable (we continued to extract the urine) as he wandered down the platform and got into his car and drove off, no doubt looking for the footbridge a bit further South,

As he drove away, the 50 passed !

Re-sult.

• RMweb Gold

Alas there have always been the nutters who think they have some sort of personal 'right to roam' on railway property and I used to have fairly simplistic ways of dealing with them, viz :-

1. Ask them who they were and why they were where they were and if they had no right to be there politely point out to them that they were trespassing and should immediately return to a place where they were ok to be.

2. If that failed advise them that the police would be called (frequently that was, alas, a hollow threat - and the persistent offender types knew that), so

3. Physically remove them if I and/or members of my staff could so reminding them as we did so that any attempt to resists would be regarded as interfering with a member of staff in the course of his duty (an offence) and any physical attempt to resist would be reported as assault.

Most went quietly as we got to the threat of Stage 3 but on one occasion I had to physically push one obstreperous nuisance down an embankment after pulling him out of the four foot.

But equally when it was safe to do so I was happy to let folk into safe areas if they behaved responsibly and had asked first - and were then seen to continue to behave responsibly. As far as abuse to photographers is concerned in my view it is simply staff opening themselves up to potential disciplinary procedures if the photographer is where he/she has a right to be and is behaving correctly and safely and not interfering with the safe working of the railway. Fortunately I never had that sort of problem with any of my staff and most of them - over the years in the various places where I worked at 'ground level' - were as helpful or non-obstructionist towards genuine enthusiasts and photographers as their duties permitted. And equally fortunately I suppose none of them were ever caught out by photographers while doing things they shouldn't have been doing or not doing things they should have been doing. Regrettably if that does happen and there is clear evidence of it a manager has no choice but to invoke some sort of disciplinary action, especially in this day & age when the Nelsonian approach is no longer an option.

Un...believe...able...

If he tries anything like that in my neighbourhood he will be getting a verbal b*ll***ing followed by a very unpleasant conversation with the boys from the BTP....

Just to balance that slightly - the 'roof' is actually the top of an old shipping container at the back of South West Crane Hire's yard in Exeter, (so not on railway property and so not under BTPs domain) - SWCH are amenable (albeit slightly incredulous) to enthusiasts using it as a photo platform when their yard is quiet if you ask nicely, i've had permission to stand on it myself...

(Edit to add pic from location - I was seated on the edge of it not standing as there were already folk there!)

1233152680_BFaNS-L.jpg

this is exactly why I'd never describe myself as a 'rail enthusiast', may end up getting stereotyped with this plonker.

I'd also suggest if he 'lashed out' at anyone the result may not be favourable to him.

Archived