Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

Great pic. Here's a direct link:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2013/images/04/26/exhibit.bert.hardy/lg.05.jpg

"War-Time Terminus, Paddington Station, 1942" (Bert Hardy) from http://cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/01/briton-captured-the-drama-of-war-and-of-daily-life/

I believe it would be acceptable to hot-link this image, as hot-linking is not a copyright infringement, but I will leave the Mods to add the [img] tags.

Martin.

• Like 2

Last week I watched this human doing this......where is he?

post-106-0-67494200-1368468907.jpg

If this is of any interest to RMWebbers, I have more but it's a bit off-centre, interest wise!

Doug

• Like 6

Last week I watched this human doing this......where is he?

attachicon.gifIMG_1701small.jpg

If this is of any interest to RMWebbers, I have more but it's a bit off-centre, interest wise!

Doug

Is it the Schafbergbahn in Austria, featured in Michael Portillo's Great Continental Railway Journeys?  I seem to remember some stunning scenery on the route.

Cor!

Spot-on, BR(S)......The same programme inspired us to get the caravan out and drive up to Austria from SW France for a visit, we were not disappointed except with the weather on the day of our ascent, which was not the best.

I might put up a few more piccies on a separate thread if you think it would appeal to enough members,

Doug

• Like 1

One from the other week:

'Happy Snap'

post-14921-0-08744100-1368624678_thumb.jpg

The shunter at Sydney Terminal, having helped prepare 3642 and 3265 for the run down to Moss Vale takes a photograph of the occasion. After all, it's not every Sunday there is a double header steam special in Sydney...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Preparing to pick up the next piece of new track for relaying at Port Sunlight 25/2/2001.

attachicon.gif004.jpg

(Note the Jarvis van in the background)

The proper way to lay track. Far superior to those infernal road railers.

"Rack and minion" :mosking:

That has got to be one of the best railway puns I've heard in years! Huzzah![but I don't get out much...except Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France in the last 3 weeks...]

Doug

• Like 1

Preparing to pick up the next piece of new track for relaying at Port Sunlight 25/2/2001.

attachicon.gif004.jpg

(Note the Jarvis van in the background)

read the last line as jawa's,   they'd be pinching the rails though....

A few from the Gloucestershire Warwickshire railway yesterday...

Before a trip in the brake van of the freight train from Toddington to Cheltenham, the coal is damped down

post-148-0-83289900-1369574330_thumb.jpg

The photographers are photographed (I guess I will be spoiling a few pictures :) )

post-148-0-68413600-1369574339_thumb.jpg

Inside Greet tunnel (not showing any humans, but they were there!)

post-148-0-46984700-1369574342_thumb.jpg

Is it on or off, better check (on subsequent journeys, this signal had been attended to and was properly showing on or off)

post-148-0-63447800-1369574347_thumb.jpg

Waiting at Gotherington

post-148-0-86099800-1369574353_thumb.jpg

Cheltenham waits at Winchcombe, to go to its namesake

post-148-0-64706200-1369574358_thumb.jpg

Waiting to change the token

post-148-0-27133500-1369574364_thumb.jpg

Disposing of 2807 at the end of the day

post-148-0-95251100-1369574324_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

The last post was answer to a prayer .I was just looking for a back view of  steam drivers jackets to get the folds and creases right and bazinga !!!!!.Many thanks ,it gives me a good idea of how they lay .

• RMweb Premium

A few from the Gloucestershire Warwickshire railway yesterday...

Before a trip in the brake van of the freight train from Toddington to Cheltenham, the coal is damped down

attachicon.gifP1040228.JPG

The photographers are photographed (I guess I will be spoiling a few pictures :) )

attachicon.gifP1040235.JPG

Inside Greet tunnel (not showing any humans, but they were there!)

attachicon.gifP1040238.JPG

Is it on or off, better check (on subsequent journeys, this signal had been attended to and was properly showing on or off)

attachicon.gifP1040239.JPG

Waiting at Gotherington

attachicon.gifP1040242.JPG

Cheltenham waits at Winchcombe, to go to its namesake

attachicon.gifP1040265.JPG

Waiting to change the token

attachicon.gifP1040268.JPG

Disposing of 2807 at the end of the day

attachicon.gifP1040272.JPG

Nice pictures.

Looks like a much better day than Friday, I didn't envy those on the brake vans in the wind and rain.

Adrian

A veritable gallery of men who were masters of their trade;-

http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/men.htm

of which 3 were most notable, Reuben Hendicott, Gordon Hooper, and Gordon Porter, the 3 'Nine Elms racers'. When the LSWR pneumatic signalling between Waterloo, and Basingstoke was upgraded in mid-1966 they took it as a chance to really see what the Bulleid Pacifics were really capable of. Their exploits were well documented in D.W.Winksworth's  book 'Bulleid Pacifics', but I had an added advantage of Reuben being a next door neighbour when I lived in Wallisdown, Bournemouth, who was always keen to talk about past exploits, which was sheer coincidence as I had got to know all three, in passing, as a regular 'spotter' at Nine Elms in the last years of steam.

• Like 5

Taking Numbers

post-7081-0-06309700-1369663807.jpg

A visit to Glasgow St. Rollox Works in 1975. 

My notes say there were 23 class 17 Claytons present, 18 of them in this line up.

8504, 8551, 8542 and 8550 are nearest the camera (an instamatic), 10/8/75

cheers

• Like 7