Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Premium

Yes it was. The Taunton castle he is thinking of is either R2498 or R2499. It was a collectors club released several years ago, along with Class 50 Sir Edward Elgar, in weathered condition with Hawksworth tender. The new one is definitely collett tender unweathered.

I hadn't realised that Tintagel had the correct running plate. What a shame

Neither had I; indeed I hadn't noticed the lack of ATC conduit on Tintangel until now! Its only through by leaving gaps in the running plate of Caerphilly that that this varient has been come to my attention!

If you are going to do high levels of detail (and quite fairly charge accordingly), they need to be got right...

Edited by G-BOAF

Yes it was. The Taunton castle he is thinking of is either R2498 or R2499. It was a collectors club released several years ago, along with Class 50 Sir Edward Elgar, in weathered condition with Hawksworth tender. The new one is definitely collett tender unweathered.

R2498 was my reference point - assuming eHattons got it right. (That's what Google found.)

The list evolved and my 'research' was very sketchy, mostly involving Google images, which led me astray at least once.

I had forgotten the "Date with the Duchy" set. I thought there was a train set with the new tooling, but most Castles in trainsets - like the Red Dragon set used the old tooling (if I have that right).

Bit the bullet today and ordered R2822 Earl Cairns, having tracked down a retailer who still had multiple stock, I asked him to pick the one with the least seams on the boiler sides. I figured this was my last chance for the ‘ultimate’ Hornby castle [1].Very slight seam on one side of the boiler but otherwise perfect.

Just one problem, my loco comes with a 'rounded edge' middle cylinder cover. This release seems to be a little hit and miss in this regard- some have the square edge version and some the rounded edge; someone picked up the wrong ‘bin’ of parts. Obviously one is a mistake, but which one?

rounded

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R2822-HX_3084678_Qty1_1.jpg

square

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/r2822_1.jpg

I want to convert the model to either 5051 as 2005-8 or 5080 (as preserved, if it were paired with 5043s tender!). I intend to modify the cab sandboxes [2].

but the front cylinder cover could be harder, I need to get some very thin checker plate to square off and plate the top of the middle cylinders. Any ideas?

[1] did Sanda Kan not bother to set up the tooling properly (align the top and side boiler tools), or finish the mouldings (i.e. polish out moulding lines on the boiler) after this first batch? Normally I intentionally avoid first batches, but not in this case...

[2] is there any evidence for either 5051 or 5080 still having round cylinder casings during the early crest period?

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Bit the bullet today and ordered R2822 Earl Cairns, having tracked down a retailer who still had multiple stock, I asked him to pick the one with the least seams on the boiler sides. I figured this was my last chance for the ‘ultimate’ Hornby castle [1].Very slight seam on one side of the boiler but otherwise perfect.

Just one problem, my loco comes with a 'rounded edge' middle cylinder cover. This release seems to be a little hit and miss in this regard- some have the square edge version and some the rounded edge; someone picked up the wrong ‘bin’ of parts. Obviously one is a mistake, but which one?

rounded

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R2822-HX_3084678_Qty1_1.jpg

square

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/r2822_1.jpg

I want to convert the model to either 5051 as 2005-8 or 5080 (as preserved, if it were paired with 5043s tender!). I intend to modify the cab sandboxes [2].

but the front cylinder cover could be harder, I need to get some very thin checker plate to square off and plate the top of the middle cylinders. Any ideas?

[1] did Sanda Kan not bother to set up the tooling properly (align the top and side boiler tools), or finish the mouldings (i.e. polish out moulding lines on the boiler) after this first batch? Normally I intentionally avoid first batches, but not in this case...

[2] is there any evidence for either 5051 or 5080 still having round cylinder casings during the early crest period?

By the looks of things either version of the cylinder cover is correct for Earl Cairns (see page 200 of Irwell's The Book of the Castle 4-6-0's) depending on the year. Can't help with pictures of the other 2 from that era with regards to that.

5051 by the looks of it only ran with the Hawksworth tender in her last years of service and as preserved. 5080 only ran with a Hawksworth tender for brief periods as an early crest by the looks of it.

The other issue to consider of is what type of buffers they ran with (straight or tapered)

By the looks of things either version of the cylinder cover is correct for Earl Cairns (see page 200 of Irwell's The Book of the Castle 4-6-0's) depending on the year. Can't help with pictures of the other 2 from that era with regards to that.

5051 by the looks of it only ran with the Hawksworth tender in her last years of service and as preserved. 5080 only ran with a Hawksworth tender for brief periods as an early crest by the looks of it.

The other issue to consider of is what type of buffers they ran with (straight or tapered)

Interesting.

According to this picture Ilink below) 5053 still had tapered buffers with its square edged cylinder covers, gaining them AFTER the square cover. It would therefore not have had square buffers with the rounded covers. I can therefore summise that Hornby intended to have the square cover fitted...

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00-0-a-ed-wr5-36-chaplin.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.

According to this picture Ilink below) 5053 still had tapered buffers with its square edged cylinder covers, gaining them AFTER the square cover. It would therefore not have had square buffers with the rounded covers. I can therefore summise that Hornby intended to have the square cover fitted...

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00-0-a-ed-wr5-36-chaplin.jpg

The earlier Castles are a quite a minefield when it comes to detail differences! Fortunately (or unfortunately) the current Castle does tend to come apart quite easily!

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photographs, but your crew are on the wrong sides of the footplate.  GWR engines are right hand drive.  Best regards

I can assure you they are correct young man. ;)

• RMweb Premium

As you will, but GWR locomotives are still right hand drive and it looks to me as if you have the fireman on the right and the driver on the left.  Best regards

I reckon it's a peak summer Saturday and the driver has had to take a cleaner out. The young lad has made a hash of it so the driver has told him to sit down and look for signals while he sorts it out... :)

• Like 1

Looks like I spoke too soon on my Castle. 'MyHermes' claim they delivered my model, but the signature on the tracker is not mine, nor anyone else in my household (who was in and didn't hear anyone knock...) their help line claimed they were delivering on behalf of someone else, so nothing to do with them.

I guess after so many model railway deliveries, one had to go missing, just a pity is is a 'rare' model.

Last one in stock :-(

The cost of no local model shops.

After retailer chased up Hermes today, miraculously the parcel appears this evening, hidden in a place I'm pretty sure it wasn't a few days ago. Certainly it was not delivered to me in person, nor was it my signature (nor any other member of household) recorded.

I will be avoiding Hermes in future. Only once in many years that a loco has gone missing, and the only time I have used Hermes...

The efforts my retailer and I have gone to in getting this model delivered means that I think it has earned the name 'Defiant'.... 5080 it will become, with a few detailed discrepancies for the 1950s, but correct(ish) if Tyseley swap tenders with 5043 (sandboxes, cylinder cover and lubricator excepting... further work needed)!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After retailer chased up Hermes today, miraculously the parcel appears this evening, hidden in a place I'm pretty sure it wasn't a few days ago. Certainly it was not delivered to me in person, nor was it my signature (nor any other member of household) recorded.

I will be avoiding Hermes in future. Only once in many years that a loco has gone missing, and the only time I have used Hermes...

The efforts my retailer and I have gone to in getting this model delivered means that I think it has earned the name 'Defiant'.... 5080 it will become, with a few detailed discrepancies for the 1950s, but correct(ish) if Tyseley swap tenders with 5043 (sandboxes, cylinder cover and lubricator excepting... further work needed)!

A friend of mine once worked for Hermes. The drivers are self employed with their own van. At his depot they were put under pressure to make unfeasible numbers of deliveries for minimal reward. The more unscrupulous simply got rid of the parcels anywhere they could 'somewhere on the property' and forged the paperwork. Most people are honest and I'm not saying this happens everywhere but it does go on... My friend did not work for Hermes any longer than necessary.

Royal Mail has many faults but at least they provide a service.

(I will quite understand if the mods need to remove this response for legal reasons).

T

Saw a Hornby 4073 'in flesh' in NRM shop yesterday. Really disappointed at the boiler tooling line. Other than that (and despite the running plate conduit 'holes') I would have purchased.

Has anyone got access to one outside a display case and can post better pics of both sides of the boiler?

Here is the one at York, dare I say the line looks worse in real life...! :-(

post-4226-0-60517900-1430159645_thumb.jpg

It is a pitty as that issue aside (and the iffy front vac pipe....!)m it really looks a fantastic model, with the livery well done and generally well assembled. I just don't understand why this problem perpetuates on the Castle. I have said many times before, manufacturers can produce all the detail they want, but if the basic form of a model is off... (e.g. Heljan 86 for an extreme example)... I know I'm speaking from an armchair, but how difficult can it be to adjust the tooling to improve the interface (I suspect the top part of boiler tooling is sitting a little high relative to the bottom pieces), and having done that, ensure the factory polishes out any resulting seam?

EDIT: The frame 'joggle' does look very good. A really fantastic model, except for...!

Edited by G-BOAF

Has anyone got access to one outside a display case and can post better pics of both sides of the boiler?

No. Initial stocks must have been very small - much smaller than pre-orders I suspect.

I had one on order with a largish retailer and they have not notified me that stock was available. Hornby lists it as "out of stock" but with a "stock notification" option available, so I assume that more are on the way. They have turned off their 'pre-order' option.

I have one. Will post pictures later. To be honest, next to the 72XX, it is a fantastic model. The paint finish is exceptional. I did not really notice the boiler seem unlike all the flaws in the Saint although I agree that they are there on each side of the boiler just above the handrails.

It holds itself against the more expensive Bachmann C1 IMHO.

Edited by JSpencer

Saw a Hornby 4073 'in flesh' in NRM shop yesterday. Really disappointed at the boiler tooling line. Other than that (and despite the running plate conduit 'holes') I would have purchased.

Here is the one at York, dare I say the line looks worse in real life...! :-(

attachicon.gifHRN_4073.JPG

It is a pitty as that issue aside (and the iffy front vac pipe....!)m it really looks a fantastic model, with the livery well done and generally well assembled. I just don't understand why this problem perpetuates on the Castle. I have said many times before, manufacturers can produce all the detail they want, but if the basic form of a model is off... (e.g. Heljan 86 for an extreme example)... I know I'm speaking from an armchair, but how difficult can it be to adjust the tooling to improve the interface (I suspect the top part of boiler tooling is sitting a little high relative to the bottom pieces), and having done that, ensure the factory polishes out any resulting seam?

EDIT: The frame 'joggle' does look very good. A really fantastic model, except for...!

You say 'perpetuates' - so has this been apparent on previous Hornby 'Castles'? If so, it could be that the tools are worn. I don't have a recent 'Castle ' to check. However, a similar parting line is evident on some of the green-liveried 'Halls' and yet there is no sign of it on the two Olton Halls that I have. That suggests that there is more than one set of tools and possibly more than one factory producing them. 

You say 'perpetuates' - so has this been apparent on previous Hornby 'Castles'?

I never noticed it though I only have one - Tintagel Castle. That had several other more visible problems with poorly fitted details.

Nor have I noticed that problem on the Star. Like the Castle the Star had other more visible problems with poorly fitted details along with 'design clever' features.

Edited by Ozexpatriate